Chromatic aberations with SAL1680

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
moorefam
Acolyte

Chromatic aberations with SAL1680

Unread post by moorefam »

Hello,
Sony have rebuilt my SAL1680 Zeiss lens and replaced several mechanical parts. It still has more chromatic aberrations than I would like and a stock agency has rejected some of the images because of this. I now correct them in Photoshop Elements 5. The problems occurs significantly at other settings than at 16mm at the edges. I am aware that no lens is perfect but I would like to be sure that I don't have a poor example. I would be grateful if an expert can cast there eye over a few images and give an opinion.
Equipment is Sony A700, Sony 16mm-80mm lens, no sharpening and taken RAW at 200ASA,f20 at 1/80 at 20mm, steady shot selected. Converted to TIFF then JPEG. It could be a little sharper as I focussed for max depth of field.

Top RHS of frame http://www.moorefam.plus.com/DSC01618-topRHS.jpg
Middle frame http://www.moorefam.plus.com/DSC01618-middle.jpg
Complete image http://www.moorefam.plus.com/DSC01618.jpg

The next image is full size facing our hedge with a bike and other objects in the field of view.
http://www.moorefam.plus.com/sony_16_3.5.JPG

Sorry I still haven't worked out how to insert images properly.
If further images or crops would be useful I would be happy to oblige.

I am wondering about getting the Sigma 10mm 20mm lens to compliment the Sony lens as I have briefly tested it and it has less CA than my Sony 16mm - 80mm lens and as I use 16mm a lot, it would be in the middle of its range. I would also like to have a wider angle available. Any comments welcome.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Chromatic aberations with SAL1680

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

May I ask what was the problem initially to have the lens rebuilt and above that to replace mechanical parts? :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
moorefam
Acolyte

Unread post by moorefam »

I returned the lens because I was not happy with the extent of chromatic aberrations, particularly at 16mm, but also at other focal lengths. That was the main reason. I also noted that at 80mm the image shifted slightly going from zooming in to zooming out. This was slightly annoying but for that alone I would not have made a fuss. On return from Sony the zoom mechanism has been a bit jerky i.e. slightly stiff but it is freeing up.

In test reports one reads that CA extent is say 1.5 pixels wide but I have a hard time relating that to what I am seeing as at the edges the images are slightly blurred anyway so the CA extends across several pixels. Therefore I am at a loss to know if my lens is as good as I can expect or not. I tried it against the Sigma 10mm 20mm lens at 16mm and the Sigma was better for CA.

I am also interested to know if it is as sharp as it should be. The last image I posted is a better example as I focussed on the hedge where as with the other images I was focusing for maximum depth of field. I can post other images if anyone is interested. I have found my stock agency is very hot on CA and lots of other issues so that is why I have become concerned about the lens quality.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It is looking pretty much as they do - your corners are maybe a touch softer than I would expect, but the chromatic aberration is not very strong, and it is soft-edged. Usually this lens has very crisply visible colour fringes. You can not really correct this in Photoshop Elements, as far as I know. It's necessary to use Lightroom or CS3 to get the proper raw conversion chromatic abb correction, which greatly sharpens up results and removes it entirely. I normally up-res images to 48-50MB for library use and the 16-80mm always passes (never had problems) but I am also very careful with the workflow and correct each shot individually. For what it's worth, I have found no better results from any comparable lens on any system. The Nikon 16-85mm is very good and has no chromatic abbs, but it is not as sharp as the Zeiss centrally.

David