Blue Blues

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Blue Blues

Unread post by Birma »

I'm having problems with blue flowers at the moment and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. The in camera jpegs are fine and to my eye are "as in real life", but I am unable to get a raw converted file to match the blue tone in the jpeg. In addition, or perhaps it is all linked, a jpeg in PSE7 has a different blue to the same jpeg in Windows Picture Viewer - the Windows Viewer lloks original. I haven't noticed this with other colours / shades, it mainly seems to be the shade of blue associated with flowers e.g. bluebells. I've always been happy with sky and sea blues.

Here is an example.

First, processed from the camera jpeg file in PSE7.

Next, from the raw file in ACR+PSE7.

The difference is most evident in the darker stripe in the middle of each petal. The raw file blue has an electric-blue look which is not "right". I assume this is something to do with WB+tint in ACR, but no end of tweaking gets it right.

Any ideas?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Blue Blues

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Try changing the ACR contrast curve. Looks as if you are using strong contrast, and medium would be a closer match. If not, try raising the Brightness slider about 10 units.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the swift reply David. I only have a contrast slider in my ACR (the PSE add-on variety) but it does help a bit if turned down, as does the brightness. I will have to continue experimenting later.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Edited .Are your RAW files sRGB or Adobe RGB?? I've had similar problems with changes in saturation etc, and with PSE7 Adobe RGB always looks closer to 'real life' than sRGB. I started shooting in Adobe RGB then converting to sRGB for posting etc. Dunno if this helps. John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the suggestion John - I am using sRGB so I will try Adobe.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Birma,
I did an experiment with A900. I took the pictures of the "blue" flower on flowers2010 thread with Raw and Jpeg. I processed Raw in sony converter (only one I have) and the colors were fairly close to each other and to the flower. I can upload and post the examples, if you wish.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Sury - that would be really useful, thanks. I will also try using IDC and see if that makes a difference. (I'm away from home on business and so I'll have to wait for the weekend :( .)
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Birma,
Here they are. The first two are JPGs from ARW using Sony IDC latest version. No tweaks. A900 with Minolta 28-135.

Image 1: JPG from ARW

Image 2: JPG from ARW

Image 3: JPG

Image 4: JPG

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. I did some further experiments at the weekend. They all made a slight difference (using IDC was the greatest improvement) but I'm still not there. I am beginning to think I am imagining it, as I'm seeing a similar difference in Sury's Raw v. straight JPGs! The investigations continue ...