C&C wanted on two photos please.

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Juanito200
Viceroy

C&C wanted on two photos please.

Unread post by Juanito200 »

We took our annual trip to Wurstfest http://www.wurstfest.com/in New Braunfels Texas. Since everybody but me sleeps in late, I took some time to do some longish exposures of the Guadalupe River nearby. These are what I consider the best two that I took. I converted to B/W mainly because the colors weren't all that great IMO. I still feel that somehow I missed the mark on these photos composition wise. Any tips on composition or processing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, John
Attachments
Guadalupe BW resize_edited-2.jpg
(231.47 KiB) Downloaded 3711 times
Guadalupe3352sharpened resize_edited-1.jpg
(214.16 KiB) Downloaded 3711 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: C&C wanted on two photos please.

Unread post by Dusty »

It's always easier to Monday morning quarterback.

I think both should have been done in Portrait orientation to narrow the view but get more of the tree's majesty. You would have had to have a wider lens, or set the one you used wider.

#1 I would have cut off on the right about mid-river, past that central-right tree. You may have also got more of the interesting rocks in the foreground. I also think it's a bit over-exposed, you need more shadow detail in the trees.

#2 is great width-wise, just needs that portrait orientation.

None-the-less, i do like them!

Dusty
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

I definitely agree with not having all of the trees. I thought of that at the time, but got lazy and I could have done some stitching, but I didn't. How about this composition, shot at 16mm on the 16-105. I tried to tweak the exposure as well.. Thanks again for taking the time to look at them. John
Attachments
3642 edit_edited-3.jpg
(233.47 KiB) Downloaded 3701 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

3rd is great, John, I mean the best.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Good job on the 3rd one, John. It gives it a misty morning look. Maybe you should put it on the cover of a mystery novel.

Dusty