Now What?

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
wayoutafocus

Now What?

Unread post by wayoutafocus »

I recently purchased an a580 new and a used (2 year old; Ser. #3850202) CZ 16-80. This is my only lens. The lens looks to be "mint", the colors and sharpness are outstanding. The problem is (I think) it back focuses, i.e., the actual depth of field is from the focus point to well behind ...., never in front. I've checked it at all aperatures and the marked zoom settings and it is constant. I used Tim Jacksons "Focus Test Chart" and there appears to be a 20mm rearward shift in the depth of field, i.e., the chart is in focus 6mm in front of the focus point and 14mm behind the focus point. My questions are: 1. Could it possibly the camera? 2. If not, should I return the lens as defective? 3. Is this repairable ...., any idea what it would it cost? Thanks up front for any and all suggestions!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Now What?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I guess no one would ever sell a Zeiss lens unless defective. My suspicions, thus, go on the latter.
Anyway do test your camera with other lenses. If everything is normal than return the Zeiss.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Now What?

Unread post by Birma »

+1 to the Doc's suggestion. I think you need to beg / borrow a lens to try and determine what is going on. There were early QC problems with that lens. It #1 on my wish list, but I would only buy from somewhere that was easy to return to. I'd get one of the new Sony SAM primes as they are cheap and are excellent performers.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.