A580 IR First Shots

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaclub_dimo
Acolyte

A580 IR First Shots

Unread post by alphaclub_dimo »

Hey all,

I just got my a580 converted with the 665nm filter. These are a few of the better shots from my first time out with it. I'm brand new to IR post-processing, so any comments and/or criticisms would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: A580 IR First Shots

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Dimo, welcome to Photoclubalpha :D .

I'm not an IR expert, but those shots look great to me. I've always imagine people getting older models converted to IR so with a converted 580 you must be taking this IR stuff pretty seriously ?

Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Welcome, Dimo. : )

Pretty daring to go IR with the A580 indeed.

Nice photos for a start.

Yildiz
alphaclub_dimo
Acolyte

Thanks for the welcome =) I don't know if it was daring or foolish, but I came across some IR images a couple of months ago that just spoke to me and I've been hooked ever since. Luckily I had some Canon gear I hadn't sold off yet that (mostly) offset the cost of the 580.

I'm happy to have found this board!

-Dimo
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Your images are beautiful! I hope you'll share more with us.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I think your images are fine. Birma,
converted with the 665nm filter.
means he just put the IR filter on!

Dusty
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Those are some beautiful IR shots. Good subject choice which is so important for good IR. As others said- I can't wait to see more. Maybe it is time for an IR thread?????
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
alphaclub_dimo
Acolyte

Dusty wrote:Birma,
converted with the 665nm filter.
means he just put the IR filter on!
Dusty,

I actually did get the camera body converted with a 665nm IR filter replacing the hot pass filter. I've never actually tried shooting IR using filters on any of my Alphas, but from what I've read the Sony hot-pass filters are too strong for IR filter photography. The conversion also allows for normal exposure times- the shots above were both hand-held at 1/160 and 1/200 respectively.

-Dimo
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I stand corrected. And - WOW you did that to a new camera? You must have money to burn! (or REALLY like IR).

Dusty
Juanito200
Viceroy

Wow- Now I'm jealous! I was hoping to have my a200 converted this year, as I am getting tired of long exposure IR. A converted a580 must be a treat! John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
alphaclub_dimo
Acolyte

I can't lie, it's a real joy to shoot with John. The 580 is a pretty sweet camera for the price, converted or not. I got my conversion done at Spencer's in Utah- Can't recommend them highly enough if you want to make the leap. They were easy to work with and did the job in less time than they estimated.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Dimo, allow me to join the others around these very good shots (specially errrh... hmmm... both)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Excellent shots. Can I ask you this - with an IR filter in front of the lens, a focus shift has to be applied and phase detect focusing is not accurate enough. With the IR filter over the sensor, what is the effect? I am considering having an A100 converted by ACS in the UK (£250), but the A100 lacks live view.

I would assume that totally accurate focusing with IR imaging must be done using live view and magnified manual focus. Is this correct - or at least, is this the way you are doing it?

David
Juanito200
Viceroy

From what I understand from when I was looking at getting my a200 converted last year, you can pay places to adjust the phase detect array to accurately focus for IR...
alphaclub_dimo
Acolyte

David-
The place I got my conversion done calibrated the auto-focus as part of the conversion process. Both of the above shots were taken hand-held using the AF. I've since done a couple of tests off a tripod with a shutter release, and to be honest I can't tell much of a difference between my best attempts at manual focusing and the AF. However, the metering system doesn't function as well in my converted camera as it did before, and without live view it would probably take of a bit of guesswork to get a correct exposure.

-Dimo