Spot metering... god I need help!!!

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Spot metering... god I need help!!!

Unread post by NeilOffkey75 »

Ok so been doing photography for just over 2 years and REALLY starting to get into it. Therefore I started reading alot about getting the correct exposure, to which spot metering came up. now I tried a few test shots with the wife and daughter and they seemed to come out really well. So I then started to think about using this mode all the time..... BUT.... there is something I just cannot seem to find the answer for or get my head round. Basically I will give a situation.....

Sunset, with clouds, sun casting a purple/pink colour to the clouds and also some clear but greyish sky. I attempt to meter on the grey area of the sky and within manual set to an aperture of say F8 this shows up on the meter as over exposed slightly. NOW do I then leave it as this and recompose and take the shot? or do I set it back to 0 on the meter and recompose and take the shot?

For the life of me I cannot seem to find a reasonably good explanation online except for what each metering mode does, not a practical tutorial.
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Spot metering... god I need help!!!

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Spot metering doesn't really work all that well with sunsets. It can be best simply to shoot straigjht, average metering, and maybe bracket a stop either way. Your eye can not judge the huge range of contrast present in a sunset, so you may pick the wrong area to meter (in fact, you probably will do so every time).

David
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Back in the days when film was the only option, a friend suggested a technique that seemed to work fairly well for me - although that might have been helped by the exposure latitude available with negative color film.

That technique was to avoid attempting to meter the sunset itself, but instead to just take a reading from a clear section of the sky in the north. Use the resulting values for the exposure settings for one shot, and take a second shot with one stop less exposure if desired for insurance.

Now that I am shooting almost everything with digital, I take the lazy man's approach of just making sure that I am not spot-metering the sun when the composition is what I want, and then using my preset 5-shot bracket for the exposure.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Unread post by NeilOffkey75 »

Thanks for the replies, my situation was just an example.

Basically all I am trying to grasp is this, when say taking a meter reading (spot) of a wall, and the meter states it is slightly over, do I bring it back to 0 recompose and take the shot or lock it in at what the spot originally said recompose and take the shot.
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

To shoot landscapes right you really need a ND grad system like Cokin and some processing software. DSLRs really lack in DR compared to film. But in my film days I still used a grad filter. I use a Cokin two stop grad and shoot to protect the highlights and then bring up the darks in post. You can't fix a blown highlight but you can darks. I would start with Lightroom 3 since it has NG Grads you can add in post. But you will still need a filter. That or HDRs . I am a firm belevier in getting as much right in the field as you can. This is a two shot pano with a two stop grad.
Sunday Morning by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I a scene where there is a huge diference between the brightest bright and the darkest dark spot meter will give you a wide variation of exposure. Just keep in mind that whatever part of the scene you put the spot meter on is going to make the camera try to adjust it to be middle grey in brightness (at 0 ev on your scale) in scenes like you describe the middle grey spot might make the bright areas over expose and the dark areas underexpose. So you can spot meter a dark spot and use exposure comp to make it a little brighter to try and get something in between that exposes the spot you want correctly for example. The opposite of this is matrix metering where it tries to make the whole scene middle grey by averaging all the areas in the scene