Measure distances from the photos

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
landland1212

Measure distances from the photos

Unread post by landland1212 »

If we have the Lens and camera information Can we measure - calculate from the photo distances of the vessels or other things between each other or from the camera..

without measurements just with a picture...
actual size of the object >> not all areas but some of the points known like lenght...

http://www.uploadgeek.com/share-E706_4E648EC6.html
michaelhthorpe
Acolyte

Re: Measure distances from the photos

Unread post by michaelhthorpe »

The longer the distance, the more difficult it is to accurately arrive at a correct judgement.

The best way of learning is to get to know somewhere near home, and measure out by footsteps (typically about 1 metre/yard for a normal footstep).
Obviously this can vary enormously between individuals and using a tape can tell you what your footstep length is.

With this info. to hand, then step out to objects at varying distances, and make a written note of these. When out in the field, with camera at the ready, you can then picture the distance of a given point from your notes. The more you do this, the more accurate your results will be, until your judgement becomes second nature.

However, at longer lengths, one's ability decreases, and the old method of judging one third of the way into a scene is arguably the best option. Also, the longer the distance away, the need for accuracy reduces.

Hope this helps

Michael Thorpe
landland1212

Unread post by landland1212 »

I need a software like this UPhotoMeasure ...
For the new photos ı can use GPS info and also Laser Range Finders... If ı can't find Range finder Lens :)
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

landland1212 wrote:I need a software like this UPhotoMeasure ...
For the new photos ı can use GPS info and also Laser Range Finders... If ı can't find Range finder Lens :)
The military now uses range finders built into it's sniper scopes. A hunting buddy and I thought of this idea 15 years ago or more, but didn't think it practical (we only though of hunting). At the time, it would not have been. Soon, it will get down to lightweight enough that it will be in hunting scopes.

I still don't see it ever being used on cameras, though!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).