First images I've processed from Raw

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

First images I've processed from Raw

Unread post by Javelin »

Jumped out of the truck on my way home and while trying to get my A700 ready with my 75-300 on it the heron I was going to shoot flew away.

So there I am in the road wondering where the bird was to land as he was circling slowly around and back toward me. Never noticed how efficiently they fly before. he was just gliding gracefully and when I lifted the camera again he flapped once and went over the trees and was gone.

On the way back to the truck I snapped this and now I wish I had taken more time with this shot.

Had to stop in town on the way back and the afternoon sun was hitting the old closed feed mill in an odd manner so I snapped this. I keep thinking there is a good angle somewhere on this building. what do you think of this one?

This guy flew into the mudroom so I got to try the 36AM hand held in wireless mode in front of my 90mm, Not a great solution by any stretch but it's workable. He really needs to be on a leaf or something though doesn't he ?

Thanks to suggestions. especially Sonolta's I've pretty much decided on ACDsee for this. although I really need an improved work-flow. It seems to do everything I need and more intuitively than LR is. also there are a few more things to learn about it so comments are very welcome
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: First images I've processed from Raw

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I like the first 3 shots, and you're right the butterfly is not photogenic there. Though you could've cropped the heron shot, but I think the way you left is much more graceful.
I love rural shots and the barn shot backlit is great. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Normally those old barns and mills work well with extreme wide angles, but this one because of its shape would, I think, look very good with a long tele from a distance. The wind turbine shown in an agricultural setting is a good library-type image. I have taken plenty of pictures of turbines, but the only ones I have sold for publication have featured sheep in the foreground the same way your shows the bales. The reason is that the pictures get used because the story is always about farmers or farmland and the turbines.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

actually I think your right about the bales, I've taken a lot of turbine picture too (there new here. that one is barely a week old) and the ones with buildings in front of them or roads whole farms ect never really worked. the farm one I took I waited for for days so I could get good light and when it was done I didn't like it. the farm was too much to balance the turbine. there harvesting corn and canola here soon, I may look for one with harveters running inthe foreground to shoot
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks Doc

The heron didn't look right cropped and the picture kind of degraded so I left it. it was really a flub anyway because he was standing in a small pond to the right of the shot so I only got 3-4 frames of him floating away. I though the spash of colour in the bug would save the shot but no... also it's better if these are shot so you can see their face (bugs have faces ? just made myself laugh) . That Mill still gives me trouble. I just haven't fond the right way to shoot it yet. I'll try it with a long lens as David has suggested but I might not be able to get far enough away from it for that.
Dr. Harout wrote:I like the first 3 shots, and you're right the butterfly is not photogenic there. Though you could've cropped the heron shot, but I think the way you left is much more graceful.
I love rural shots and the barn shot backlit is great. :D
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks. I was using Picasa before, it's so fast. but i find with the A700 the sharpening steps are too coarse.. also it only works on jpegs. Pretty much all I do is adjust colour brightness and sharpen. I find every shot I take needs fill light, is that normal? also now that I'm shooting raw i can see visually in the ACDsee library that the raws are all darker than the jpegs like a checkerboard.

bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Javelin wrote:Had to stop in town on the way back and the afternoon sun was hitting the old closed feed mill in an odd manner so I snapped this. I keep thinking there is a good angle somewhere on this building. what do you think of this one?
I like this one best. The nose of the truck adds a sort of mystery - what was the name of Spielberg's first movie - "Duel" :?: :lol:
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter