What to take?

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ken M
Grand Caliph

What to take?

Unread post by Ken M »

Going on a 5th grade camping trip. Can't decide what to take... All my 4 lenses or just wing it with the A65 and my 16-50mm? Don't think I need the zoom, But the 35mm 1.8??
Flash? Tripod?? 90mm macro???????
A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: What to take?

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Hi Ken- How far are you going to be hiking. Is weight going to be a factor? I would leave the flash at home, take the 16-50, and the 55-200 for wildlife. The 35 1.8 is small and weighs next to nothing, and it has a fairly short minimum focusing distance, so you can use it as a pseudo-macro in a pinch. I would take the tripod, for star trails photography if the weather permits.. That's my two cents anyway, John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Accompanying a bunch of 5th graders means you are not likely to have many chances to take your time and do a lot of nature, etc. photography. You will probably be taking lots of photos of the kids and other adults on the trip though -- and that will probably be fun. I would just take the 16-50mm, it is f2.8, right? That is pretty fast and should work well, but not so small or light. If you want to keep it simple and lighter then just take the 35mm f1.8. That gives a 53mm fov on the A65 which is a pretty good general purpose lens and it is also fast.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

16-50 for everything and the Macro lens, that you can use for flowers, other macro stuff and portraits...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

bakubo wrote:Accompanying a bunch of 5th graders means you are not likely to have many chances to take your time and do a lot of nature, etc. photography. You will probably be taking lots of photos of the kids and other adults on the trip though -- and that will probably be fun. I would just take the 16-50mm, it is f2.8, right? That is pretty fast and should work well, but not so small or light. If you want to keep it simple and lighter then just take the 35mm f1.8. That gives a 53mm fov on the A65 which is a pretty good general purpose lens and it is also fast.

Well you were right! 22 kids and not a lot of time to do much. Did take almost 300 pictures in 2 and a half days. Took the 16-50mm and 35mm.
A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hope you got plenty of shots with the amazing colours of those autumn (fall) leaves :) ?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

Here are a few of the colors!

A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice Ken :) After all of that green for so long it's nice to have some different colours in the woods. I particularly like #2
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Ken M wrote:Well you were right! 22 kids and not a lot of time to do much. Did take almost 300 pictures in 2 and a half days. Took the 16-50mm and 35mm.
Can't say that I am surprised. I figured you would have your hands full with all the kiddos. :lol:
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Nice shots! It looks like you had fun and I'm glad you weren't juggling too much kit around. My own walking kit includes the 16-50/2.8 and 35/1.8 these days.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Great shots Ken. The fall color and the lake shot is especially representative of your trip.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper