Perspective ok?

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

Perspective ok?

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi guys,

I went back to some old holiday shots and tried to reprocess a few of them. One of those images depicts a church with dark clouds of forrest fires in the background.

The original was taken at 16 mm and had a lot of perspective issues, as you can see in the uneddited version.

I did some editting on the image but am not sure if the perspective is how it is supposed to be. I haven't got the eyes of a carpenter, but it still feels kind of odd looking at the image, especially the corner right in front of you. What do you think if you look at the editted image??

Mark

Uneditted

No corrections whatsoever.

Editted

Lens and perspective corrections.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Perspective ok?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I guess the 2nd one is OK and better than the original.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

Mark,

The corrected perspective is absolutely fine. You have left in a slight lean on the corner which is usually preferable to correcting it perfectly. It's all a question of what the eye-brain perceives as looking correct. The perspective is extreme due to the use of a wide angle lens.
Bob Johnston
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

johnstra wrote:Mark,

The corrected perspective is absolutely fine. You have left in a slight lean on the corner which is usually preferable to correcting it perfectly. It's all a question of what the eye-brain perceives as looking correct. The perspective is extreme due to the use of a wide angle lens.
Well, my eye-brain isn't that well tuned for this kind of perspective corrections :wink:

I figured out what makes it look a bit weird to me: the building seems not as tall anymore. I'm trying to find a refference on the internet for this church to see if that's correct or not.

Thanks for the help.

Mark
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm actually not digging the corrected perspective. It looks like a corner crop from an ultra-wide-angle lens. How much of the periphery of the image would be lost if you did a simple rotation?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I like the second one better, but I think Kevin's right. It looks like it needs rotated rather than stretched or pulled to make the front corner of the church vertical. Then you can mess with perspective if needed. Is the church on a hill? The ground near the entrance definitely slopes down some so rotating the picture might make the slope look wrong.