A77 Problem ? Can any one explain what is causing this ?

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

A77 Problem ? Can any one explain what is causing this ?

Unread post by Ossie »

I recently had the sensor on my A77 cleaned. One of the first images I took was this one
DSC07879_Bulmer.jpg
(237.36 KiB) Downloaded 3896 times
(A77+16-80mm ZA)

After editing I spotted this pattern appearing in the sky.
DSC07879_Bulmer_100-pc-Crop.jpg
(248.44 KiB) Downloaded 3896 times
Never having seen it before I thought that it had something to do with the cleaning process but on taking it back to the shop nothing could be seen.

The image was taken at F22 and on checking other images taken before cleaning the pattern was also visible. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this? Is this something that I need to send the camera to Sony for repair?

Any help will be very much appreciated

Ossie
mvanrheenen

Re: A77 Problem ? Can any one explain what is causing this ?

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Am I correct at seeing a vertical pattern over the full width of the sky?

It looks to me like these are swab stripes: leftover cleaning fluids on the sensor. The pattern could suggest some kind of pattern in the brush used to clean the sensor.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Eek. My first thought was the same as Mark. Not an expert in this area though so I'm not sure.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

mvanrheenen and Birma

Thanks for your feedback
mvanrheenen wrote:Am I correct at seeing a vertical pattern over the full width of the sky?
Yes that is the problem. I too thought at first it was some sort of residue from the cleaning process but having checked it appears in other images shot at F22 and taken before the sensor was cleaned. I can't see it in any other images.

Ossie
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hm, just thinking out loud here, but could it have something to do with distortion due to the small aperture used? Or some kind of diffraction effect?

Could you test with another lens?
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

Visited the camera repairers this morning. Their initial thoughts are that it could be a problem with the in camera image processor or early signs of the sensor failing. They are investigating further and I now await their report.

In the mean time it's back to the A700.

Ossie
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Ouch. Fingers crossed that it is a cheap and quick repair.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sorry, I missed this. That's a typical wet cleaning mark. It is caused by the swab dragging over the sensor and leaving a residue. The solution is wet cleaning by someone who knows how to wet clean. Ideally Sony sensors should not be wet cleaned and should never be cleaned by any operator unaware of the SSS carriage mechanism and the need for extremely gently pressure as the sensor, unlike Canon and Nikon, is mounted on a flexible sprung carriage.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

My A77 has been repaired. Sony replaced the Shutter Unit, Mirror Box and what they described as the “Protective Cover” No charge was listed for these parts. The only charge was for labour plus tax.

Other items listed included “Exposure Meter, Speeds Checked, adjusted and repaired as necessary, Auto Focus Mechanism Checked and Tested, Computer test carried out and checked to standard”

No feedback on what caused the original problem was given. As there has been no specific mention of the sensor being replaced I assume the problem must have been elsewhere.

I had hoped to have the camera available for a recent trip to the USA but as the start of the trip came closer and there seemed no chance of it being repaired in time I had to buy a S/H A77 body.

Ossie