A (stitched) landscape (just before David receives his A900)

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alfake
Heirophant

A (stitched) landscape (just before David receives his A900)

Unread post by alfake »

Hello! The first title I thought was: “A100 stitching as a poor man’s A900 (a landscape)”, but as I am (as everybody) waiting expectantly for David’s A900 report, I decided to change the title…

Pelegrina (Spain)

15 shots (3 rows, 5 columns) make up this photo of Pelegrina and its castle. (Camera: A100. Lens: Mamiya 300mm.) The shots were stitched with PTGui. The resulting 8 bits TIFF file (processed in Lightroom 2) takes up 357MB! (A 16 bit version could be processed, but not exported by Lightroom 2 in my 2gb-RAM relatively old computer.)
This file can produce, at 240ppi, a 88cm x 78cm printed image. In comparison, at the same 240ppi a single frame from the 6048x4032 pixels A900 sensor would produce a 64cm x 43cm print… (Just trying to console myself and all those landscapers who cannot afford or justify the A900! A scant consolation, I know: Stitching requires an essentially motionless subject, something which is not so frequent in landscape photography: Light changes rapidly, leaves and clouds blow in the wind, etc.).
NOTE: This picture was taken shortly after the one I posted recently (“A landscape (A100+Mamiya 300mm)”: http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... f=16&t=792), but it took a much longer time to process. Point of view and equipment (f11 aperture included) remained the same. So, for those interested, the 100 per cent clips posted in that thread provide a good indication of the level of detail present in this stitched photo.
Alfonso
Last edited by alfake on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A (stitched) landscape (just before David receives his A900)

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Of course, two A700 shots side by side can equal an A900 shot though it is better to use three vertical frames and stitch them. Because of the lower distortion present over the APS-C frame, it's better for most multi-shot mosaic stitches. Using full frame on the A900 for similar projects will throw up many problems with the quality and geometry of the edge zones of the image. While I am happy to be investing in an Alpha 900, I'm not fooled by enthusiasm for new purchases, and I know that there will be a downside to the results along with the benefits.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Of course, two A700 shots side by side can equal an A900 shot though it is better to use three vertical frames and stitch them. Because of the lower distortion present over the APS-C frame, it's better for most multi-shot mosaic stitches.
I think the best camera for stitching will be the Dimage A2 -I'm getting back mine after a year and a half serving a friend of mine in Paris (she just got a D200...)
I went to an Adorama Seminar a couple of years ago, taught by Ron Pepper (http://www.panoramanetwork.com/) He use a Nikon Coolpix for his work, not a DSRL, mostly because depth of field.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

David and Pako, thanks for your (as usual) interesting comments. The depth of field issue is perhaps the main downside to the A900 as a landscape camera (in relation to a smaller format camera). After shooting several years with a Fuji GSW690III (6x9cm format) and Fujichrome Velvia (ISO 50), I was relieved by the much greater depth of field my A100 provided. Probably (as you imply, Pako) the best camera for landscape photography would be (in theory) a small format high resolution EVIL (or even a high quality compact: ¿Canon G10?). (But in the meantime, let our present APS DSLRs, those jack-of-all-trades, easily and effectively undertake this task as well…)
Alfonso
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

alfake wrote: After shooting several years with a Fuji GSW690III (6x9cm format) and Fujichrome Velvia (ISO 50), I was relieved by the much greater depth of field my A100 provided.
ah! panoramas, panoramas... I'm trying to figure out how to scan my XPan slides -and keep all the detail those beautiful Hassy/Fujinon/Horsemann lenses provide. I'm waiting for the A900 in order to set up a "repro" system and convert my slides using the DSRL: Scan is slow and tiring.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

pakodominguez wrote:ah! panoramas, panoramas... I'm trying to figure out how to scan my XPan slides -and keep all the detail those beautiful Hassy/Fujinon/Horsemann lenses provide. I'm waiting for the A900 in order to set up a "repro" system and convert my slides using the DSRL: Scan is slow and tiring.
Pako, I have felt the same problem… So one day I decided to give it a try and ‘scan’ a 35mm Velvia slide with my A100 (and Tamron 90mm macro at 1:1). As this can be a bit off topic here, I’ll post my experience in the scanners section (hopefully next week, as I'll be travelling this weekend). Only one comment: As you know, shooting at 1:1, the resolution depends only on the pixel density (and not on the absolute number of pixels). So scanning (at 1:1) with the A900 will give you more or less the same final resolution as scanning (at 1:1) with the A100 or the A700. But, of course, it will be, as you say, much more convenient, as one will have to stitch less shots per image (or even none, if one is ‘scanning’ a 35mm slide).
By the way, beautiful panoramas at your site! (As you very well know, panoramas aren’t easy to compose… most of the panos that can be seen in the web have no compositional justification.)
Alfonso
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

alfake wrote: By the way, beautiful panoramas at your site! (As you very well know, panoramas aren’t easy to compose… most of the panos that can be seen in the web have no compositional justification.)
Alfonso
Gracias por el piropo
I'd been quite busy latelly, and won't be better in the following weeks (until Rosh Hashana) but I'll try to post the try I already did for this show http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 4499#p4499
I print them in 11*14 inches and look nice (even if some fine-detaill is missing), and I did a couple of 20*30 inches and look really nice. Let's take this discusion to the Scanners section...
Regards
Pako
------------