Exhibit Portrait shots

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Re: Exhibit Portrait shots

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Thanks, Birma! I don't often do B/W conversions but this one was begging for it with the high contrast lighting.
sury wrote:I love the light gradient from top to bottom. I presume that was by design.
I am curious if the decorative beads on her face are just that or have some
symbolism.

With best regards,
Sury
On this organised shoot (which I rarely attend) the make up artist decided to practice her art with hair and creative face jewellery. I like to think that the beads may be reminiscent of 'wampum' :)

I was so pleased that this Mohican hairstyle presented itself - I'd been practicing back highlighting 'big' hair with a snoot, so it was lucky the make up artist did this style.
One of the other photographers donated his 'Native American' wrist band and I composed the lighting/pose which aimed to delineate a profile with a suggestion of the main body. The hair was the important bit to be picked out (by backlighting high snoot) - as was the bracelet which echoed the ethnic theme.
I was quite pleased (and so often I'm not) that my set up worked. I didn't purely rely on metering but checked the results and turned up/down the lights.

I believe the likes of David Bailey used to do all this with a Polaroid. After the 'WISIWIG' of the A77 EVF (how soon we take it for granted) studio lighting is another ball game. You have to try to envisage what effect the lights will have but luckily digital makes it easier to double check the results.

This isn't perfect by any means - it's not really my genre and I need to get more practice. People expect so much more than dog owners ;)

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Excellent shot, Pat. Contrast, Lighting etc are all fantastic.
Just one question: since it's a set up, why didn't you make the girl look the other way round? (Look to the right, instead of the opposite?).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

Portraiture is usually outside my comfort zone and I admire all the shots submitted sofar. I have been fortunate to have had some success within the my club with these images.

I manipulate most of my images to some degree or other although with image # 3 apart from basic adjustments, levels etc, it was restricted to a very severe crop and conversion to mono.

No 1 A77 SAL16-80mm
Camel-Driver.jpg
(243.68 KiB) Downloaded 1709 times
No 2 A77 SAL16-80mm
Man-with-Hookah-pipe.jpg
(247.28 KiB) Downloaded 1709 times
No 3 A700 SAL70-300G
Eyes-that-dare-to-dream.jpg
(248.29 KiB) Downloaded 1709 times
Keith
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Three very striking portraits Keith. I particularly like the second one, man with pipe. I very much like the high key effect and the way it concentrates your view on the subjects hand, face and pipe.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Great portraits Keith. I love the "pursed" lips high key shot (#1). The eyes are telling me a story
in the third one and I have multiple plots in my head looking at that one. Very nice B&W treatment.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
sury

Unread post by sury »

Wildieswife wrote:Thanks, Birma! I don't often do B/W conversions but this one was begging for it with the high contrast lighting.
sury wrote:I love the light gradient from top to bottom. I presume that was by design.
symbolism.

With best regards,
Sury
On this organised shoot (which I rarely attend) the make up artist decided to practice her art with hair and creative face jewellery. I like to think that the beads may be reminiscent of 'wampum' :)

I was so pleased that this Mohican hairstyle presented itself - I'd been practicing back highlighting 'big' hair with a snoot, so it was lucky the make up artist did this style.
One of the other photographers donated his 'Native American' wrist band and I composed the lighting/pose which aimed to delineate a profile with a suggestion of the main body. The hair was the important bit to be picked out (by backlighting high snoot) - as was the bracelet which echoed the ethnic theme.
I was quite pleased (and so often I'm not) that my set up worked. I didn't purely rely on metering but checked the results and turned up/down the lights.

I believe the likes of David Bailey used to do all this with a Polaroid. After the 'WISIWIG' of the A77 EVF (how soon we take it for granted) studio lighting is another ball game. You have to try to envisage what effect the lights will have but luckily digital makes it easier to double check the results.

This isn't perfect by any means - it's not really my genre and I need to get more practice. People expect so much more than dog owners ;)

Pat
Pat,
I am trying to understand how EVF impacts the studio lighting. Does it make better? Worse? Different? If different, how so?

Sury
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wow, killer shots, Keith.
I can even "see" their characters.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Nice portraits, everybody! So are we sticking to black-and-white exclusively for now?

NG-B&W-23 by Kevin_Barrett, on Flickr
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
sury

Unread post by sury »

Kevin,
Lovely capture.

Sury
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

Birma, Sury and Dr Harout

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed the images

Keith
Wildieswife
Oligarch

sury wrote:
Wildieswife wrote:Thanks, Birma! I don't often do B/W conversions but this one was begging for it with the high contrast lighting.
symbolism.

With best regards,
Sury

Pat
Pat,
I am trying to understand how EVF impacts the studio lighting. Does it make better? Worse? Different? If different, how so?

Sury
I meant the LCD screen (which displays live view and also results) was handy for checking how the lighting is playing out. The results are a handy checking point on how the camera is interpreting things.

Obviously the live view/EVF is not used with studio lights, as you switch it off - but I'm sure you knew that, didn't you ?

Pat
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Dr. Harout wrote:Excellent shot, Pat. Contrast, Lighting etc are all fantastic.
Just one question: since it's a set up, why didn't you make the girl look the other way round? (Look to the right, instead of the opposite?).
It was a conceptually led shot. The girl is 'sinister' ie facing left. Is there any reason why you think she should be facing a droit?

Pat
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Back on track - some cracking portraits here - still B/W though :lol:

Here's a colour portrait.......... :wink:

And another

Pat
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Wow! What a way to break out into color portraits! Well done, Wildieswife.

This is my wife, taken with the A700 and 35/1.8 SAM:
At her Childhood Home by Kevin_Barrett, on Flickr

I need to put that lens onto my new A77 already.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
sury

Unread post by sury »

Wildieswife wrote:Back on track - some cracking portraits here - still B/W though :lol:

Here's a colour portrait.......... :wink:

Pat
Must be that "magical" kiss that turned portrait #1 into #2. :lol: Great shots. I love the lighting
in the second one that renders the green very pleasant. It somehow seems to have pleasant effect,
is the best way to describe my reaction.

With best regards,
Sury