Not everyone's cup of tea

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Not everyone's cup of tea

Unread post by Ossie »

Recent posts prompted me to upload a few images I have been working on. My apologies that these are yet more images from my trip to Cuba. For some reason the images I took on that trip more than any other seem to cry out to me for some form of manipulation. The "straight" photos somehow just don't seem to work.

These images will eventually be printed on a textured art paper to enhance the effect.
DSC03635_The get away car.jpg
(395.98 KiB) Downloaded 1429 times
DSC03728 An itch to satisy-3.jpg
(371.7 KiB) Downloaded 1429 times
DSC03604Tourists Added V3-2.jpg
(389.81 KiB) Downloaded 1429 times
Ossie

A77 + SAL16-80mm. LR5 + CS5 + Nik Effects
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Not everyone's cup of tea

Unread post by sury »

Great PP Ossie. It is so well done, I was thinking of the time period rather than
what you may have done for post processing. Enjoyed them all.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Why did you settle on this particular form of processing? What does it add that was absent previously?
They are interesting images but I tend to think that you were looking for something more than just interesting.
Thanks for your consideration.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Ossie; :)

This is a difficult subject actually. Similar scenes are prepared in architectural renders, so I'm quite used seeing such additions to a certain scenery to create a different atmosphere or to tell the story better.
Naturally, you're free to do anything you please with your own photos.

I few things catch the eye here: the shadows of the people and the car are different, either by intensity or direction. The modern attire of the people and the time the car model pertains to are worlds apart.
The shadow and the cobble stone paving under the horse carriage, change in intensity and the paving is in a different direction.

I've seen these photos when you submitted them to the forum, therefore I know that you have more relevant subjects that could have been used to paste into the scenes. : )

Just my couple of cents. :)
Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

sury wrote: Enjoyed them all.

Sury
Sury Thank you. Glad you enjoyed them.
jbtaylor wrote:Why did you settle on this particular form of processing? What does it add that was absent previously?
They are interesting images but I tend to think that you were looking for something more than just interesting.
Thanks for your consideration.
jbtaylor

That’s a very good question. I found Cuba quite an emotional experience and it is therefore difficult to explain.

I suppose the short answer is to try and give a fresh approach to subjects that have been photographed thousands of times before.

aster wrote:.

Hi Ossie; :)

I few things catch the eye here: the shadows of the people and the car are different, either by intensity or direction. The modern attire of the people and the time the car model pertains to are worlds apart.
The shadow and the cobble stone paving under the horse carriage, change in intensity and the paving is in a different direction.

Yildiz
Hi Yildiz

Thanks you for your observations. Cuba is a little bit of a conundrum to say the least.

The mixture of people in modern dress interacting and traveling in old vehicles is a common sight. Admittedly when creating an image getting the shadows and perspective correct is quite a challenge and one that is difficult to pull off. As is often said practice makes perfect and clearly I need more practice.

The image below gives a flavour of some of the every day transport to be seen anywhere in Cuba. The local buses look particularly uncomfortable especially in the heat of the day.
CUBA 1-2.jpg
(372.14 KiB) Downloaded 1354 times
The next image shows the raw material I started with to build the composite image although as you can tell I took the image of the blue car from a different angle.
CUBA 2-3.jpg
(356.91 KiB) Downloaded 1354 times
Thanks for viewing

Ossie

PS the images are the RAW files exported from LR 5 without pp.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Ossie, :)

Thank you for the feedback and for providing the source images. Now we know where you were coming from.
Practice definitely makes perfect; I guess what you need to decide is what the story you wish these images are to tell the viewer once you think your processing is done.
Good luck, because you have a difficult task at hand. : )

Buses converted from trucks, and the rest of the images display how unique and authentic the Cuban street life is still. An iPhone in hands to take photos of the sights in such a setting of authenticity feels odd to the eye though...soon to change for a multitude of them for sure.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz