Yellowstone NP Spring 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Yellowstone NP Spring 2010

Unread post by aster »

Hi Kevin,

Thank you! Wonderful case study of wildlife in Yellowstone NP. :D How I love wild creatures that are happy in their natural habitats! And your photos deliver very intimately close moments and details; the wind brushing their fur, the snow falling, the bison drinking icy water,..., the herds...

They are all very lovely and you made a good trip very memorable. Also a tiny lovely car too! :D

Enjoyed them all!

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Thank you all for the feedback!

Aster: Thank you! I did mostly focus on wildlife, but I tried to get plenty of environment for context, as well; like the young lodgepole pines growing up to replace their parents after the fires of 1988, or the geothermal features that give the park its unique climate. See Old Faithful below...

Mike: The grizzly bear was a lucky find--a lone bison had it cornered against a cluster of geysers! We only saw the one bear on our last day in the park, headed home. There was no legal pull-out area, and the shoulder of the road was already lined with cars. I was stopped in the middle of the road when I took the bear picture.

John: You'd fare better on a trip like this with your Land Rover and your 100-300 zoom! I've no regrets about the car, but I wish I'd gone and got a longer lens (oh, that's right, I decided to put my wife through nursing school instead!).

David: Thank you! There was definitely no shortage of bison, though historically speaking, there is. The current population is barely a percentage point of what it was when the white man started pushing west across North America. A population of millions dropped precipitously. With careful management, a population of just 15,000 wild bison still exists today.
Attachments
Passenger_by_mybearjana.jpg
Passenger_by_mybearjana.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Flight_by_mybearjana.jpg
Flight_by_mybearjana.jpg (141.51 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Thank_You_For_Venting_by_mybearjana.jpg
Thank_You_For_Venting_by_mybearjana.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi KB - a great series - very interesting to look through. I like the common tonal quality that runs through the whole set, but I guess you would have liked a greater variety of weather? I think the last one is probably my favourite - I love the muted colours of the road running off in to the distance. I can hear the Iggy Pop song just looking at the picture :D

I'm afraid that you will now just have to get the Sony 70-400 8)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

Birma wrote:I'm afraid that you will now just have to get the Sony 70-400 8)
I'm actually debating between the Sigma 70-200/2.8 + TC and the Sigma 120-400/4.5-5.6. The first would be more versatile and might actually pay for itself by doing double duty in portrait/wedding kits. The later will be slightly less expensive and hopefully preserve more optical quality since it doesn't use a teleconverter. I have some homework to do.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

My 'vote' would go for the versatility of having a 70-200/2.8 that you could sometimes use with a tc. I think the 70-200 would get used more often.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

What a great trip KB, I really liked the Bison photos, Elk and Bear too, and also the alpine ridges, for some reason I just pause and look at those for a long time.
Must have been tough finding some of those photo opportunities in a car that's about three inches off the ground. :lol: Very well done, overcoming the obstacles and the weather/road conditions too get the shots you did get.
Greg

ps. In the Unimog shot, where have the luggage containers that were on the rear rack on your car gone too? In a Motel perhaps?
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

bossel wrote:Kind of low contrast
I agree with this. Compositionally, the are fine, but for most of them there isn't really any vibrance to the shot. They seem kind of flat really. It could simply be that it's early spring in the west (I know it can be kind of drab at times), but I'd like to see more "pop" in them. I am also surprised that most of these are wild life shots and you don't really have any/many shots of the geothermic features. To me, that's the most interesting stuff at Yellowstone.
KevinBarrett

Lonnie Utah wrote:I agree with this. Compositionally, the are fine, but for most of them there isn't really any vibrance to the shot. They seem kind of flat really. It could simply be that it's early spring in the west (I know it can be kind of drab at times), but I'd like to see more "pop" in them.
Thanks for the feedback! I've gone through and reworked some of the worst offenders, considering your advice.
Attachments
Yellowstone_Elk_04_by_mybearjana.jpg
Yellowstone_Elk_04_by_mybearjana.jpg (250.57 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Yellowstone_Elk_01_by_mybearjana.jpg
Yellowstone_Elk_01_by_mybearjana.jpg (202.61 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Yellowstone_Elk_05_by_mybearjana.jpg
Yellowstone_Elk_05_by_mybearjana.jpg (193.53 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Much better Kevin.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

A little conttrast does bring the shot an extra depth, Kevin. These are enjoyable too. For some, the dreamy submissions of the first run is also worthy though.

Yildiz
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

KevinBarrett wrote:I'm not sure what happened, but I was just trying not to clip shadows or highlights.
I think that this photo has some blown highlights.

But, it did win the Pulitzer Prize for breaking news photojournalism. Technical perfection is not everything. :)
KevinBarrett

I went back to my Yellowstone pictures again...

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like that first one especially.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi KB, I like the subdued colours.
KevinBarrett

Birma wrote:Hi KB, I like the subdued colours.
Greg Beetham wrote:I like that first one especially.
Greg
Thank you, guys! I chose not to punch up the colors here because the distance and the light level really desaturated them quite naturally. I tried independently increasing their saturation or vibrancy, and combinations of both, but it was all too distracting

I did tweak this one very slightly, though, because since there was more direct sunlight in the image, some more punchy colors wouldn't look unreal:

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --