Oshima in the Seto Inland Sea

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Oshima in the Seto Inland Sea

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Yeah I agree an interesting look at the close involvement that area has with the sea Henry, lots of activity building new ships and fixing old ones. One thing caught my attention in a previous photo, the on or off ramp up in the sky, I’m not totally sure I’d be all that keen to have thousands of tons of concrete and cars a hundred feet above my roof in an earthquake prone zone. :lol:
Well, in Japan there are plenty of places to die if there is a big earthquake so that particular place would not be all that special. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Just 5 minutes ago on Japanese TV they had a long report about the same boat I went on to see the shipbuilding, whirling tides, etc. back in June. They had a TV cameraman and reporter on the boat going on the same route I went on.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

bakubo wrote:
sury wrote:All I can say is flower in my backyard. :P
Sury, I lived out your way in Silicon Valley for 12 years and since moving away I have been back out to California many times. Of course, it depends on what your photographic interests are, but there are plenty of things other than the flowers in your backyard if you want to seek them out. Being near the coast and Santa Cruz Mountains to the west it is easy to do all kinds of landscape photography, but there is also much more. Along the coast there are places such as Moss Landing and the sort of grungy fishing boat marina. Plenty of beautiful places around and also plenty of work-a-day places. Every place has both. No matter where you go you will find the things that are more famous for tourists, but there are also the places where local people work, make stuff, and play. If you don't want to photograph people then photographing those sorts of places can be very interesting.
sury wrote: Your photos are multidimensional at so many levels, it is just amazing.
Whether it is technique, composition or uniqueness of the subject,
the cultural and geographical diversity you capture and let us share,
the knowledge you impart, they all make for a nice spicy dish to savor
and relish. Even if I visit all the places you do, I am not sure I will be anything
more than a flat lander. :lol: Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words. I like seeing the places where people work. It is harder to get interesting photos in an office environment, if that is where you work, but there are places where people do a more physical type of work, using machinery, etc. and that stuff is sort of fascinating, I think.
Henry,
Thank you for the suggestions. I admit it is my own doing (staying in the box). I apologize for not responding. I somehow missed the post. Time for me to shake those cobwebs and venture out. You are right about finding interesting subjects even in your own "backyard'.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

Interesting, informative, creative shots. You don't see these kind of pictures too often, let alone that part of the world too often. Thank you for opening eyes (mine and many others).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote: Thank you for the suggestions. I admit it is my own doing (staying in the box). I apologize for not responding. I somehow missed the post. Time for me to shake those cobwebs and venture out. You are right about finding interesting subjects even in your own "backyard'.
No problem. You might take a drive down to San Juan Bautista too. The old Spanish mission there is interesting. California, right in your general area, has lots of good stuff. Maybe drive up to Bodega Bay and Point Reyes. Take a drive over to the Sierra Nevada mountains in eastern California. Point Lobos. Of course, nature is easy in California, but there are all kinds of other things too. Good luck!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Almazar80 wrote:Interesting, informative, creative shots. You don't see these kind of pictures too often, let alone that part of the world too often. Thank you for opening eyes (mine and many others).
Thanks for taking a look!

Some more, but these are in Ehime-ken.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I caught about 15 minutes of the middle of a documentary on shipbuilding in Japan on the NHK English channel (something that didn't exist a few years ago). It may have even been made at the same Oshima shipbuilding yard I was at, but I don't know. They said that a big freighter uses 660 huge metal plates for the hull and they showed the precision that they were capable of moving them into position with big cranes. Amazing. Also, they showed how the big plates were bent, all by hand. A huge metal plate was up on supports and a single man with what looked like a normal oxy-acetylene torch was heating up small spots on the plate and then running water over them from a hose. Since the surface spot on the thick plate was heated and then cooled it caused the plate to bend. The man said it takes 15 years of training and apprenticeship and experience to be good at it. They also showed the huge propellers, up to 10 meters in diameter, and how all the edges are ground by hand with a chisel and file. The man they spoke with said it takes 20 years to be good enough. He wore the normal white woven work gloves that are ubiquitous in Japan (because hand oil and sweat will spoil things) and said he could feel imperfections in smoothness as small as 1/100 millimeter and that was how smooth the edges had to be. I wish I could have watched the whole thing since the part I saw was fascinating. Turned it on the middle and then had to go somewhere so couldn't finish. Maybe it will get replayed later.

Anyone who knows Japan knows how the master craftsmen tradition is truly alive and revered here. In all things.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

There is a animation film by Miyazaki called Ponyo - your shots are almost straight from the film and I was very surprised to see these. Great stuff with a sense of scale.

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote:There is a animation film by Miyazaki called Ponyo - your shots are almost straight from the film and I was very surprised to see these. Great stuff with a sense of scale.
I haven't seen that animation film. The only Miyazaki film I have seen is Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し) and it was excellent! In 2004, one of the times I was studying Japanese in Tokyo, the teacher brought in the DVD to class and we watched it. Of course, all in Japanese with no subtitles. Of course, I couldn't understand it all, but could catch enough of the Japanese to generally know what was going on. Enchanting.
Spirited_Away_poster.JPG
(25.4 KiB) Downloaded 2063 times
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

bakubo wrote:I haven't seen that animation film. The only Miyazaki film I have seen is Spirited Away (千と千尋の神隠し) and it was excellent! In 2004, one of the times I was studying Japanese in Tokyo, the teacher brought in the DVD to class and we watched it. Of course, all in Japanese with no subtitles. Of course, I couldn't understand it all, but could catch enough of the Japanese to generally know what was going on. Enchanting.
Yes Spirited away is excellent as are other Miyazaki's work as well. Even if they are animations, they always circle around many themes of intellectual interest, such as history, ecology, culture and such. I've seen all but newest one there is lot of interesting details in all of them. The Ponyo which I mentioned earlier is targeted to younger children, but it has great and humorous way of showing how different it is for men and women to start family and have children. But you should check it because of your pictures - there are scenes in it which are like straight from the same place. :-)

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote:Yes Spirited away is excellent as are other Miyazaki's work as well. Even if they are animations, they always circle around many themes of intellectual interest, such as history, ecology, culture and such. I've seen all but newest one there is lot of interesting details in all of them. The Ponyo which I mentioned earlier is targeted to younger children, but it has great and humorous way of showing how different it is for men and women to start family and have children. But you should check it because of your pictures - there are scenes in it which are like straight from the same place. :-)
I am sure I can rent the DVD at a shop here in Japan so I will try to remember to look for it when I am next in one. Here is some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

A few days ago I was at an airport and I noticed that one of the big, back-illuminated transparency photos that was on the wall was an aerial view of Oshima, the shipyards (lower left), and the bridge. This photo doesn't show the whole island, but a lot of it. I took a photo of the photo. :lol:
IMG_1862.jpg
(166.05 KiB) Downloaded 1994 times
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

bakubo wrote:A few days ago I was at an airport and I noticed that one of the big, back-illuminated transparency photos that was on the wall was an aerial view of Oshima, the shipyards (lower left), and the bridge. This photo doesn't show the whole island, but a lot of it. I took a photo of the photo. :lol:
IMG_1862.jpg
Hard to say if this 'photo of the photo' is realistic looking or not. It doesn't look like the photo, but it does look like the original scene represented the by the photo. In a sense it is and it is not. A mind bending photo for sure... :lol:

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)