It's still about the image

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

It's still about the image

Unread post by paulmurphy »

The recent debate about noise and the subsequent calling of the A100 sent me back to my files to check that it could produce pictures I was happy with.

I agree that at high ISO is was hopeless, but in the right situation it is still a capable camera and users of it shouldn't feel excluded.

Here are three pics taken with the A100 that I like and you may like to see.

Low light

Good light

Let's see some more pictures, whatever A-mount camera you use

Best wishes

Murph
alfake
Heirophant

Re: It's still about the image

Unread post by alfake »

Paul, beautiful images, as usual. Let me contribute to this thread of yours with an A100 image as an homage to your landcape photography, which I admire.

A100, CZ 16-80=30mm

Clic for larger: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-v3wM0WlDDs/SVp51 ... 01_web.jpg

Alfonso
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I had an A100 which served me quite well. It had positive and negative sides.
High ISO was a problem, yes, but I don't care cause I don't shoot in high ISO (just made some tries with the A700)
The viewfinder was on the negative side too and that's one of the main reasons I upgraded to A700.
A-mount users are very very rare here in Armenia, and I was the first to own one, the A100 namely. Many got interested, other brand users tried to bash it insisting on the "impotency" for high ISO and I replied asking and urging them to compete with it in low ISO (they didn't).
Now there are many Sony alpha users and I'm glad that the pioneer was a tiny little DSLR named A100 :!:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Paul's wonderful shots always comprise a good 'nature' in all senses whatever subjects he chooses to direct his camera...

So, thanks Paul and have yet an other to create more of them.

I'll contribute with a couple of shots which are rather different for exploring snow and iron wireframes of a construction phase. I kind of enjoy the controversial coming-together of nature and man-shaped repeating structures in their basic forms...

Shot yesterday with A100 and CZ 16-80mm.

Yildiz

Dr. Harout

Yildiz, I'm glad you're back. Tried to send you a PM, but you have unsubscribed to it.
I love construction pictures too.
But as I notice there is some difference in WB in the shots posted.
Happy New Year :D

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Oh, you're right Dr. Harout, I did disable my PM feature the other day after I informed David that I was not planning on participating in the forum, I'll fix it.

About the photos; I am processing and cropping them from RAW files and trying different settings for each shot. That's why each one is different in warmth. I also processed black/white ones but I don't know if I'll upload them. ( I tried some 25+ different looks so far and I can visualize how I can integrate these to actual documents but have to choose only a couple)

Please feel free to comment about any improvement you think I should consider about photography, angles, balancing the structure...etc. Sometimes being too close to the subject or going over too many changes can blur one's clear perception.

Thank you and a very joyful new year to you too, in which you get all you wished for from Sony and all. :)
Yildiz
Dr. Harout

With what are you processing your RAW files, Yildiz?
For the first and third shots, slide the balance towards the blue, as for the second do the opposite.
If I were someone in the construction business I would definitely pick the first and give special consideration for the close up (somehow) in the third.
The third, photographically speaking, has a very beautiful pattern, repetitive, which I like very much.
So, for when is you A900? :D

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

So we bid a fond farewell to 2008. I've still got my A100, but we have been on an exciting journey together over the last 12 months and I have learnt an enormous amount (much of which is a growing understanding of how much I still have to learn!).

Many thanks to everybody on the forum; I have learnt a lot from everybody. This seemed the most appropriate thread in which I should say goodbye to 2008, as Murph had so eloquently titled it. The gear is great and there will be lots more in 2009 to get everyone excited, but most of all, I look forward to all those pictures - a whole 12 months of new photographic opportunities.

(Great pictures Murph, Alfonso and Yildiz :D )
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:With what are you processing your RAW files, Yildiz?
For the first and third shots, slide the balance towards the blue, as for the second do the opposite.
If I were someone in the construction business I would definitely pick the first and give special consideration for the close up (somehow) in the third.
The third, photographically speaking, has a very beautiful pattern, repetitive, which I like very much.
So, for when is you A900? :D
I used Sony's IDC for these shots and CS2 for a couple more that are not uploaded but I like none of the results so far. I'll be getting CS3 soon and therefore hoping to see better results from those raw conversions. You might have found out for yourself but I get softer images from the raws with the IDC. It's fast but the result is much worse than the in-camera jpeg when I shoot in RAW+JPEG mode. So far, IDC has mostly been used for resizing the photos to upload to Photoclubalpha forum, it's fast and sufficient for that task but for printing I'm waiting the CS3 or above.

Agreed; I lke the first and the third better also and sliding the slider a tad to the blue will do some justice to the white of the snow.

Getting the A900 has become a question for me also. I'm feeling exhausted from all the reviews and the features-fight that's been flying around.
It's no longer about the actual A900 that's in the market at the moment, but about getting the features and abilities that I would like to start using with a camera which is an enmbodiment of A900+features. I don't know how it will come; in the form of a firmware? a whole new model with the same resolution? a variety of other models that could match what the A900 already provided so far?... or..?

I can go out now to one of the Sony stores that are open till midnight and put my money on one A900 and maybe one CZ 24-70mm but I will not be feeling that I made the best purchase for the concept of photography I would want to start the next morning. I want to shoot indoors, but don't want to use flash or fill lights because I need to shoot natural-looking compositions that will take advantage of daylight through some openings; windows, slots, transparent walls. I wish to shoot in the dark of the night without a tripod, Istanbul is one of the cities that is rich with city life and spectacular architectural scenes and I wish to be able move around with a light bag, no flash and no tripods and no heavy extra lenses to stall for changing hence wasting the moments of best available light.

So far I couldn't convince myself that A900 is the answer for me yet. If I had plans of travelling to phenomenal places of landscapes like the Death Valley, Cappadoucia in Turkey, The Valley of the King Tombs in Egypt any time soon -like next month- then A900 is excellent with the CZ F2.8 lenses it comes with and a 70-300 G would nicely complement my most immediate requirements...

I would very much like to hear some word on the improved state of the A900 within the next month. A good enough waiting period, don't you think, as the CZ lenses are being released in January 2009 also? It would make me a joyful person to start taking some very early spring shots with the A900..say, from the beginning of February 2009.

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Thanks, Birma, for your words and your pictures (this one and all your beautiful 2008 Scottish landscapes). I still love and use my A100 (although only for good light or tripod scenes, the A700 being so much better in other situations).
And thanks, and happy new year to you all!
Alfonso
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Thanks to all for the compliments re my photo's, it's much appreciated.

Also it's good to see other work posted and some positive discussion, it's what I particpate for - always learning.

I'll round off this years posts with the reason I am up to take as many sunrises as I seem to, my two dogs

First Purdie, a good test for DR, very black dog on a bright day

Second Pippin (one of Purdies pups) who is a natural poser

Happy new year to all,

Murph
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Yildiz, I do prefer your first shot for the contrast in colour and texture between the wood and the metal.

May your dream camera come true for you in 2009.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

paulmurphy wrote: Second Pippin (one of Purdies pups) who is a natural poser
Murph
Let me know when or if you have another litter. Our wee Pom is getting very old now and we will be looking for a companion for her (overlap!).

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Some very nice photos so far!

The first 2 are from yesterday with the A700 and the 3rd one is with the Canon A590IS digicam from a bit over a week ago.

Dr. Harout

Nice shots Henry, specially the first. The last one is gorgeous (I mean the one in the shot :wink: )
As for the fellow in the first one, he really needs a Dermatologist's consultation.

Flickr