Snow

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Snow

Unread post by bakubo »

Let's post some winter scenes including snow. Everyone is welcome to post and I hope you do! And if you find another shot later you want to post then come back and post it too!

This first photo is the view out the window of a 300 year old o-tera (Buddhist temple) turned into a minshuku (Japanese style bed and breakfast) in a little town called Togakushi in Nagano Prefecture. I went there 2 years in a row in January 1991 and 1992 for ski trips with Japanese friends. I took a photo out the window early one morning after the sun came up and I discovered that it had snowed a lot during the night. There was a magical scene out my window! The next two photos are of the front of the minshuku.

Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Snow

Unread post by Javelin »

I really like that second shot.. was this taken just after a storm? snow looks wet
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice shots, Henry. Like the second too. :)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Javelin, it had snowed a lot during the night and all 3 photos were taken within a few minutes of each other in the morning.

Since it is still only February I am a bit surprised that no one but me has any winter snow photos. Come on, post away! :)
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Hah and your in Hawaii! .. well I haven't been out to shoot much and it just seems whenever I had the time it was dark or storming. and this week has seen another huge melt theres a lot of flooding around but it's been foggy. I did manage to get out shooting for about an hour around a harbour. I'll post some later.. but there ice and not much snow :/
bakubo wrote:Javelin, it had snowed a lot during the night and all 3 photos were taken within a few minutes of each other in the morning.

Since it is still only February I am a bit surprised that no one but me has any winter snow photos. Come on, post away! :)
Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

All Christmas card stuff to me, very well captured.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I shot this years ago on my Maxxum 5 with Kodak 400 B&W negative film, before I knew anything about photography.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

An amazing amount of snow buildup on the roof there Henry, good thing they make strong roofs there, I like the front door view...incredible amount of snow and yet one can still get out too the road.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

This morning, from our daughter's old room (middle of the house) for a symmetrical view with fisheye:

Snowing steadily. The tree on the left is a 100+ year old holly, taller than the house, which is covered in red berries every November. 20 years ago the seasons were different, and we had berries in the week around Christmas, but quite often now the berries arrive in October and there are none at all left by Christmas. We used to let people cut them to make decorations, not possible now. I have trained wild honeysuckle to grow up into the tree so that in summer, it is covered with honeysuckle flowers. We did the same with clematis but it got out of control and had to be removed.

The chicken house contains our one lonely chicken still left, survivor of two fox attacks. I have to lift the lid (very heavy now from the snow) and replace her water feeder with hot water every morning, by the next morning it is frozen solid. We found some Christmas cake made two years ago and not finished, so she's got some very high energy feed (so have I, the fruit cake still tastes fine even though the icing is hard and yellow!). The new house was built by a keen fisherman (we are about 200 yards from the Tweed) who has a lot of showbiz friends who come to stay for fishing. No, I don't get the camera out, ever, even if a shot of a top TV personality pulling on a pair of waders would be worth a few pounds!

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ye gads that looks cold David....and the poor chooky out there in the freeze all alone.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kevin, that photo of yours really appeals to me. The snow is really coming down. No worries about it being film or an old camera. :) My photos were all taken on film too in 1991 using just a 35mm p&s using Fuji color print film.

David, I like your photo a lot too and I think it is the two big trees on either side which really makes it nice. The fisheye worked great here. It sure looks cold. The last time I was someplace that looked as cold as that with snow was in late January 2004 when I drove from Vancouver, BC to Austin, Texas and took my time and made it into a 3 week road trip. I went through Utah and visited Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park and they both had beautiful snow on the red rocks -- something I have wanted to see for many years since all my earlier trips had not been in the winter.

Greg, yes houses, temples, etc. in the mountains of Japan are designed to support a *lot* of snow. The traditional buildings are all made of wood too.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

A couple of pics with the A900 following the 'national disaster' that was snow in the south west of England! The first with the Sigma 12-24 and the second with the Sony 24-70, taken on Bodmin Moor.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Nice ones, Philip. I particularly like the first one with the big rocks prominently in the foreground.

Here is one of mine in Utah. Actually, I guess this one could go in the tree thread too. :) The look of the tree along with the snow appealed to me.

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very nice trees and incredible snow scenes gentlemen! :D

Love them all.

David, I wish the view out my room was to extend to infinity like the snow scene you photographed. One vicious contractor bribed someone at the municipality offices and is planning to exceed the allowed elevation code so much that if that happens my view along with our neighbours' will be obstructed forever and we won't be able to see the nice scenery of Istanbul that we're so accustommed to. Illegal construction permits, how they make me hate all constructors and architects! The laws should be followed more strictly in Turkey. Now that Local Aministrations' election is due in March, the parties who want to be elected slackened their 'virtue', if they had any that is, so that illegal matters are really a problem at the moment. All that corruption of the government...so distasteful and appalling and so unjust!

No snow yet in Istanbul but I'll be at my watch shift if it decides to come my way... :D

Thank you for sharing your snow, it soothes the thoughts and nerves seeing it extend so and make lovable scenes of nature...Send them in! :D :D

Yildiz
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Hadrians wall, Northumberland National Park, this afternoon (Friday)

We haven't had snow like this for ages

Murph