Some Birds

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Some Birds

Unread post by aster »

Hello Greg, :)

Although flash can sometimes cause 'washed-out' backgrounds deprived of good details like in your second shot of the swamphens, the heron photo is really good. I like the cobalt blue feathers and the full pose in general. Maybe that's because there's more depth in the background of the heron which absorved the light and brought the heron to attention, whereas the light completely got reflected from the rocks behind the swamphens and lost the depth.

Do these birds react to flash lights afterwards? :)

Hi Jbtaylor,

For someone who doesn't see such wild birds in everyday life that's rather majestic for me. :) My wildest environment of birds consist of chirpy sparrows, seagulls and some run-away sparrows from a park close-by.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Yildiz I agree, those Swamp Hens prooved quite difficult too get a half decent shot of, there were a few of them here and there and I thought sooner or later I'll get an ideal pose but during the course of the whole afternoon I think that was about the best I ended up with..ah well better luck next time.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Actually I've been giving it a bit of thought, about what was going on with the washed out look (I've had a look at the RAW file and it can be improved quite a bit with the black slider in E6, not available in the JPEG editing section), I think it's the reflection off the water, in effect the subject gets a double whammy, both from the direct light and the reflected light from the surface of the water...will remember next time...there was no option in that shot, it was too dark for shooting without flash but with maybe a stop or even 1.5 stops under, (flash balance) might be much better for shooting across water with the subject in or very near it and the ambient is very poor....
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Best of luck then! :D

Looking forward to more birds' photos...

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I don't know if yo-all have seen a Plumed Whistling Duck, there were quite a few of those around, quite a pretty duck I think in it's own way. Also one of the guides/rangers had her pet Brown Falcon out for a bit of fresh air...she had a Canadian or American accent I must ask where she is from when I go down there next time (I promised her a print).
Greg
ps Hope you like these Yildiz ol' chum

A100 100-300APO

A100 100-300APO
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Beautiful! And you used A100 for these too. :)

Thanks! ....And please don't forget to visit our 'beverages section' too... :D :D

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks and yes Yildiz the A100 is a fine camera I think (despite what some say), I was carrying two cameras the A100 with the 100-300APO fitted for the more distant shots, and the KM5D with the KM24-105 which makes a lovely compact combo for the closer in shots. One of the male guides saw me as he passed be with his group and said 'Getting any good shots,' I said 'A couple,' he said 'With all that gear you wouldn't have any excuse,' so I said 'Actually it makes things harder'....no reply. :)
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I'll agree with you Greg. The A100 isn't what some make of it at all, infact, if something goes wrong it's usually my fault; either I forgot the aperture adjustment while going from subject to subject or some other setting issue. The camera just does what it has to: shoot what it sees with my settings! :D

I suppose the guide doesn't realize that the more gear at hand the harder the decision becomes with which to shoot and with which settings.

Yildiz