Some Birds

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
RobbieA
Oligarch

Re: Some Birds

Unread post by RobbieA »

Greg Beetham wrote:No problemo Robbie, :lol: when would you like the photo of the Red Necked Avocet? I'll see what I can do. :D
Greg

ps This might get me off the hook.
http://www.birdingnsw.org.au/gallery/di ... at=0&pos=5
Ok, off the hook for now.. wow, the bird looks so strange to me, so used to our Avocets.. really kewl.. but now you have to go out and shoot one yourself..
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

A few of the local geese trying to decide the pecking order:

and one showing how big and bad he is:

Just out of this picture (to the right, in case that wasn't obvious) was another who'd apparently been chased out of the flock, at least temporarily -- he was wondering around the pond, and anytime he got too close to the water, something like this happened and he ran away again). The one who'd been chased out wasn't exactly shy or retiring either -- he was quite willing to get up-close and personal with me:

Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

Sony Alpha a700 + Sony VG-C70AM Vertical Grip
Minolta AF: 28-135mm F4-4.5 | 50mm F1.4
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Very nice entry Elisha and welcome. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Screech Owl (click for larger)...

Image Image
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Sensational shots Winston... Wow!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Jcoffin, very nice moves from the geese...

Elisha, welcome to the forum and that duck has beautiful colours ...

Winston, intriguing owl shots...lovely feather details around the head and overall too. The eyes are pentetrating into viewer's soul, they are that striking!

:D
Thanks for sharing
Yildiz
Dr. Harout

Wow, nice owl, Winston.

Flickr
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Welcome to the forum Elisha. Your shot of the duck is extremely nice -- Mallards do have such gorgeous colors!

Aster: thanks for the nice words -- just after I posted the goose shots was when everybody seemed to disappear for a while -- I had that feeling like sitting down at a table in a cafeteria, and everybody else immediately gets up and leaves! :-)

Winston, you shot of the owl is really nice. Where you using a long lens, or did it let you really close? From the CA visible at the top of the head in the second shot, I'm guessing it wasn't a really short lens, but nothing to really indicate how long it is either...
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Thanks all for your generous comments. Here's the EXIF for the two shots:
Sony DSLR-A700: 1/250s f/7.1 at 180.0mm iso800
Sony DSLR-A700: 1/320s f/6.3 at 400.0mm iso800

I was very close and he was very cooperative. Lens used was the Minolta APO 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

Some great shots here.. I was away on business for a while so my participation became non existant.. haha.. yes, can imagine that coffee table feeling.. Since we onto water birds, another 3 from me..

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

jcoffin wrote: Aster: thanks for the nice words -- just after I posted the goose shots was when everybody seemed to disappear for a while -- I had that feeling like sitting down at a table in a cafeteria, and everybody else immediately gets up and leaves! :-)
Hi Jcoffin,

When that happens, just remind yourself that there’ll be a new crowd coming in with good coffee and muffins in mind ...some of the old ones will be among them ... :D

So, you just keep throwing your photos into this infinite dark space some call ‘forum’ and let those ‘fishing’ have a go at hunting for ‘what’s new’...
Now, please go and enjoy a ‘free’ coffee out of your own kitchen on my behalf ... and enjoy the sometimes-hitting-around-silence. Sometimes silence is golden with promises ahead! :D

All the best,
Yildiz
Dr. Harout

aster wrote:
jcoffin wrote: Aster: thanks for the nice words -- just after I posted the goose shots was when everybody seemed to disappear for a while -- I had that feeling like sitting down at a table in a cafeteria, and everybody else immediately gets up and leaves! :-)
Hi Jcoffin,

When that happens, just remind yourself that there’ll be a new crowd coming in with good coffee and muffins in mind ...some of the old ones will be among them ... :D

So, you just keep throwing your photos into this infinite dark space some call ‘forum’ and let those ‘fishing’ have a go at hunting for ‘what’s new’...
Now, please go and enjoy a ‘free’ coffee out of your own kitchen on my behalf ... and enjoy the sometimes-hitting-around-silence. Sometimes silence is golden with promises ahead! :D

All the best,
Yildiz
I join Yildiz on this one. Sorry I didn't comment on your shots. But surely will, as I'm really impressed by that goose portrait shot.

Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

One of my first pics with the 7D (with 70~210 f4)
Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

You think the duck is trying to say something to you by showing you the rear end?? hahaha