Let's post some panoramas

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Let's post some panoramas

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely pano Henry. I'm looking forward to your Nepal gallery (sorry to hear you we're unwell out there). I will have to schedule an hour or so with the big screen in the lounge for that. :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Lovely pano Henry. I'm looking forward to your Nepal gallery (sorry to hear you we're unwell out there). I will have to schedule an hour or so with the big screen in the lounge for that. :)
Thanks, Birma. Fortunately, I have felt fine since getting home and have gained a bit more weight. I am still down about 3-4kg from my pre-trip weight though. My pre-trip weight had been pretty steady for the last 20 years. I am okay with just staying at my current weight, but I suspect I will gradually get back to my steady-state weight.

I am still working on the trip photos and making progress, but it will take a bit more time. I am probably about 60% done working on the first cut of photos, but then there will be a couple more cuts to reduce the number even more. Then, inevitably, I will be going back and reprocessing some of them because on second look I will want to do it a bit differently. When I just have a small number of photos it is pretty easy, but when I come back from a trip there are a lot of photos to work on over weeks and I notice my taste in what looks good can vary from day to day and week to week. So, often I go back to ones I did before and no longer like them. :lol: With LR this is so much easier though since sometimes it is just a minor tweak with the non-destructive editor and not a complete redo like with PS. After it is all done then I have to write captions for most of the photos and that takes time too.

Merry Christmas!
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

I posted 3 images here last night. I dug out some past panos (sized 1000px max and under 200kb) and put links to larger versions.

Where did they go? :shock: :? :(

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
Johnc
Initiate

Unread post by Johnc »

First full day out with A99, and very impressed.

This is a stitch of 5 portrait shots.

Larger file (2048x1087) 1.2MB at http://www.prostor.com.au/WebPics/DSC01 ... a_2048.jpg
Attachments
DSC01536_panorama_800w.jpg
Description Jolly's Outlook, D’Aguilar National Park, SE Qld
Created Sunday, 30 December 2012 5:16:34 PM
Exposure time 1/80 s
Aperture f11
Focal length 28.00 mm
ISO 100
Exposure program Aperture priority
Model SLT-A99V
Lens 28-75mm F2.8 SAM
(243.19 KiB) Downloaded 2086 times
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Very nice.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

That's a cracking view point Johnc - congrats on the new A99 :)

Not seen your panos Pat :? Must be end of year gremlins.
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Birma wrote:Not seen your panos Pat :? Must be end of year gremlins.
Well it must just be that. I'll put some more on when I have time. Thanks for the acknowledgement , Birma :).

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A quick pano with the Nex 5's auto pano feature.

Skye Autumn 2012 - Sunset over Trotternish by Birm, on Flickr

Just finishing off the last of the PPing from our trip to Skye at the start of November. Work and dead h/w have conspired to keep me away from Lightroom, but some holiday time has given me a chance to catch up.

Nex 5 with LA-EA2 adapter and CZ 16-80.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

What a sweet view you captured Andy. That light of the low sun really gives a great effect! Goes to show what a photographer with a great eye can do with an auto pano setting.

Mark
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Lovely picture of Skye Birma and interesting lens/camera combination
Nex 5 with LA-EA2 adapter and CZ 16-80.
I have the NEX-6 & 5N as well as the LA-EA2 and the CZ 16-80 A-mount. Somehow I have not used the LA-EA2 since I tested it with my Sony 18-250mm zoom, but this picture has given me an incentive to try this combination on my NEX-6.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

John & Birma: Cool panoramas! Thanks for posting.

I usually don't think to take shots to make a panorama, but sometimes it is fun. One of these days it would be interesting to get 2 or 3 of mine made into long prints to see how they look.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Henry and alphomega :)

Henry, does your Olympus has a pano / auto stitch function? Its a nice little add-on with the Nex (and iPhone!). I have found it very difficult to do them 'by hand', even with a tripod.

Alphaomega, please let me know how you get on with the Nex 6 and the LA-EA2 and CZ 16-80 set-up. I am quite interested in the 6 as my next Nex upgrade. I thought that the auto-focus on the LA-EA2 would be a neat thing to have, but the main reason was to get a more stable tripod mount! (I found the LA-EA1 tripod mount works lose while being carried around on the tripod as I typically do.)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Henry, does your Olympus has a pano / auto stitch function? Its a nice little add-on with the Nex (and iPhone!). I have found it very difficult to do them 'by hand', even with a tripod.
I don't think my E-M5 has a panorama function. I don't shoot jpeg anyway so even if it had a panorama mode I wouldn't use it. I just take multiple shots and then stitch them on my computer. I have used various programs over the years, but these days I am using the panorama function in PSE 9 since it seems to work well and is easy.

I didn't use a tripod for the Nepal panorama. I just set manual mode and lowest ISO, set shutter speed and aperture making sure there were no blowouts anywhere over the panorama view, and then tried to keep the shots as level as I could and overlapping about 40-50%.
sury

Unread post by sury »

LA Panorama from a vista point on Mulholland Drive (I believe just above the amphitheater). In the distance you can see the Hollywood sign,
about 45% from left almost at the top of the hill in the back. The curve on the right is US State Highway 101 and I think the high rises in the distance to the right of the white curve is LA downtown (I could be wrong here though).

This is a 37 image panorama created using MS ICE. The shots were taken hand.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsu ... .jpg[/img]
DSC23251307_37__stitchautocontr-001 by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Aha, beginning the new year with lots of panos. Nice shots everyone.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr