Let's post some panoramas

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Let's post some panoramas

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Fabulous shots, Marcell!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

Thanks Kevin!

We had mainly overcast dull days with lots of fog, but sometimes it gave something good to the photos. Some more from the same trip:

Marcell
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Just wow Marcell... what great moods you create using the environment and composition! Every single image sucks me in and makes me want to go there. Trully great stuff!

Mark
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Wow, so many nice panoramas posted here recently! Thanks to Dennis, Sury, Mark, and Marcell.

I usually forget to make a panorama, but I will try to make at least one or two while I am in Nepal.
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

Panoramas from Nepal sounds good!! I'm looking forward to it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This is a panorama of the Annapurna Range of the Himalaya Mountains at sunrise in Nepal taken from the top of Sarangkot.

Here is a larger version:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/Pokhara ... pano_2.jpg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a 180 degree version.

Here is a larger version:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas/Pokhara ... e_pano.jpg
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

A larger version would do justice to Himalayas...By the way, Mount Everest is not the
tallest mountain from base to top. It is Mt. McKinley (Denali) in Alaska. Mount Everest
is the tallest from sea level with about 3000 meters of Tibetan Plateau under its base.
An useless albeit interesting bit of trivia.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:A larger version would do justice to Himalayas...
I assure you I can make much bigger (full size) versions, but they are not for posting. :D By the way, in case you didn't notice, if you click on the links for the larger version you can then click on the image (your mouse cursor will be a +) that will enlarge it further. The browsers I use will shrink the image so that the whole thing will fit on screen so if your screen is not big enough you must click on it to enlarge it to the actual size.
sury wrote: By the way, Mount Everest is not the
tallest mountain from base to top. It is Mt. McKinley (Denali) in Alaska. Mount Everest
is the tallest from sea level with about 3000 meters of Tibetan Plateau under its base.
An useless albeit interesting bit of trivia.
Thanks for the interesting info!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dear Henry Richardson, :D

Thou hast made me very happy with thine art of Panorama of these heights!

Nepal, for sure is magestic in many ways. Looking forward to your NEPAL gallery entries. :D

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:Thou hast made me very happy with thine art of Panorama of these heights!
I almost never remember to take photos for a panorama, but fortunately I remembered to do it for this view in Nepal. The 180 degree panorama was made from 7 overlapping photos. By the end of the trip I thought of a few other places where I wished I had made a panorama (not just of landscapes). Oh well. :)
aster wrote: Nepal, for sure is magestic in many ways. Looking forward to your NEPAL gallery entries. :D
Yildiz, I am still going through the Nepal photos with LR and when I have a selection ready I will upload them to my website. I'll post when I do. I wrote an update about it here a day or two ago:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 258#p75322
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Nice view Henry, you did well to be ‘on deck’ at that time in the morning at that altitude and the prevailing conditions. :shock: I like both views but I couldn’t get the first one to expand to the full width of my screen mores the pity.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Nice view Henry, you did well to be ‘on deck’ at that time in the morning at that altitude and the prevailing conditions. :shock:
Greg, I got up at 4:00 AM and then rode in a vehicle in the dark to a parking area and then climbed for about 45 minutes up the steep Sarangkot trail using a flashlight to get to the top. It was still dark, but there was enough light to make out the mountains. I checked the photos I took and the first one was at 6:15 AM so that means it was probably about 5:55 or 6:00 when I got to the top. Around 6:15 was when the first sunlight hit the very tops of Fishtail and Annapurna. The panorama was taken at 6:30 AM after the sunlight had started moving down the mountains.

I am still working on the trip photos in LR, getting a few more prepared each day, but for 3 days I got sidetracked. On Friday last week I got a new laptop to use for working on photos and use Lightroom:

i7-3630qm (4 cores, each with hyperthreading)
17.3" screen
1tb hd
8gb ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2gb
4 USB 3.0 ports
Windows 8

This new one is quite a bit faster and also has the new, much faster USB 3.0 ports. I have some USB 3.0 1tb portable external hds that I use for backup and also sometimes use in normal use so it is good that access to them is much faster than with USB 2.0. Windows 8 also starts up and shuts down much faster. If it wasn't for the fact that I was using Lightroom though I would have been happy to keep using the old computer since with everything else it is fast and works very well. Lightroom uses a lot of resources so it was a bit sluggish on my laptop that I bought 2.5 years ago though so I decided to get a new one. Here is my old one:

i3-330m (2 cores, each with hyperthreading)
17.3" screen
500mb hd
8gb ram (had 4gb when I bought it, but I upped it to 8gb a few months ago)
4 USB 2.0 ports
Windows 7

I was busy over the weekend getting the new computer all configured and installed all my software. For the last couple of days I have finally started using it. Lightroom is snappier now and that was the reason to upgrade. I am planning to buy a 128gb mSATA SSD for it and install that soon. I'll use 64gb as a cache for the 1tb hd and 64gb as an additional very fast disk where I will put my Lightroom db catalog and the photo previews it generates. That should be another boost in Lightroom performance.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Henry it seems that the whole thing is still a potential minefield; every time they ‘improve’ something they introduce new gremlins. Sony IDC isn’t compatible with 64bit OS’s but you need 64bit OS’s to use more than 4GB of ram (32bit OS 4GB ram limit), you can ‘put’ more than 4GB of ram in the machine but a 32bit OS can’t use it, it can with a paging file ‘hack’ program but the applications still won’t see it, or so they say http://www.howorks.com/2011/02/24/how-t ... mory-limit why use IDC? well you don’t ‘have’ too but the Sony installation software apart from IDC has drivers for the camera model you bought so the interface goes smoothly when you couple the camera to the computer or download from the card so it’s probably best to install it.
Then there is the ExFat issue in the latest SDHC cards, there are the random gremlins that have appeared (apparently) with memory cards formatted in ExFat, applies to SDHC cards larger than 32GB. From what I’ve read so far SD cards have a built in controller and mini OS and it is not recommended to perform formatting on these ExFat cards (just use delete) as that can affect the MBR and move things in the FAT from where the controller knew where they were, they also mentioned that formatting can actually shorten the life span of the card (not sure why). Vista, Win7 and 8 all can do ExFat formatting of course but there is no guarantee that it will not harm a card that has been formatted by the camera and then that card might no longer be usable or recoverable by the camera afterwards.
I’m still suspicious of USB3 as it applies to the camera interface as well at the moment, I have a 2TB WD ‘book’ backup drive with USB3 and it works just fine but it came with the western digital CD install disk with the necessary drivers so it was glitch free, the only thing that bothers me is I have seen occasions where the internal USB bridge can get it’s wires crossed sometimes when there are other USB devices hooked up to the computer so I think it helps to keep a watchful eye on USB proceedings at all times.
None of the above might apply to an Olympus user of course, Oly install software and drivers might be all compatible with 64bit OS’s and be glitch free for all I know.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:None of the above might apply to an Olympus user of course, Oly install software and drivers might be all compatible with 64bit OS’s and be glitch free for all I know.
When I get a new camera (Olympus, Canon, or Sony) I very rarely install any of the software that came with it. For raw processing I have been mostly using PS/ACR, PSE/ACR, and LR for several years. For just a quick view of the photos I have been using the free FastStone for a long time.