Emma @ 1600

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Emma @ 1600

Unread post by Juanito200 »

I haven't ventured north of ISO 800 many times with my a200. Last night my 10 year old daughter was engaging in two of her favorite activities, reading and sitting by the fire.. I had to use ISO 1600 to get manageable shutter speeds with only the firelight. Not much in the way of noise reduction with IDC. I was plesantly suprised! Let me know what you think.. C&C always welcome. Oh yeah... 50 1.7 @ f2 John
Attachments
emma III edit.jpg
(551.06 KiB) Downloaded 1639 times
emma II edit.jpg
(547.39 KiB) Downloaded 1639 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
harvey
Oligarch

Re: Emma @ 1600

Unread post by harvey »

Juanito200 wrote:... I was plesantly suprised! Let me know what you think.. C&C always welcome. Oh yeah... 50 1.7 @ f2 John
I have tried a few shots like this but none came out as good as yours, the focus is really critical.

It continues to amaze me what digital has done for us, how many of us would put in an ISO 1600 film to get this type of shot? Did you try to tone down the yellow cast? People normally expect white books but it would be a shame to loose the warmth.

Harvey
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You guys wait till Tuesday when Nikon officially announce the D3 upgrade. I have not checked the net, but suspect the news is already out. If you think ISO 12,800 is impressive on an A550 Nikon's direction will stop you in your tracks.

A colleague went to a pre-launch conference event this week and apparently Nikon has picked up on exactly what I have been saying and writing for the last six months (ever since getting the Nikon D5000). They are now stating that Nikon's use of MPEG-4 JPEG-type video compression is a match for in-camera JPEGs of the same size, frame for frame, unlike Canon's codec which produces extremely soft images lacking enough detail for single frames to be used as high quality stills.

This was never claimed by Nikon originally, but it was my reason for choosing the D5000 over the Canon 500D. I guess others will have made the same observations - that the Nikon codec is far superior for anyone who might ever want to extract a single frame, like news photographers. And now they are actively promoting this.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

HI David, just catching up here - do you mean there is a new Nikon Dn (e.g. D4 or D3xs?) coming out with video? Are you also saying they are using the video functionality as an alternative way to produce improved high ISO stills? Wow :shock:
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

My lips are sealed!

I think some of the earlier rumours are a good guide to what will actually be announced. However, there's more. Wait and see.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:HI David, just catching up here - do you mean there is a new Nikon Dn (e.g. D4 or D3xs?) coming out with video? Are you also saying they are using the video functionality as an alternative way to produce improved high ISO stills? Wow :shock:
Hi Birma,

Until the seals come off, may be this link that has the rumoured leaks could give an idea... :)

Look for the D4 and its specs..and there's more.

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/07/0 ... ap-leaked/

Yildiz
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

David, is there much difference between the video implementation on the D90 compared to the D5000?
Sony Alpha a700 + Sony VG-C70AM Vertical Grip
Minolta AF: 28-135mm F4-4.5 | 50mm F1.4
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

aster wrote: Hi Birma,

Until the seals come off, may be this link that has the rumoured leaks could give an idea... :)

Look for the D4 and its specs..and there's more.

http://www.photographybay.com/2009/07/0 ... ap-leaked/

Yildiz
ISO 102,400 :shock: :shock: :shock: That must be practically seeing in the dark!

Thanks for link Yildiz.
Juanito200
Viceroy

ISO 102,400??? If you're taking a night shot and a firefly comes by... you're gonna overexpose horribly!! :lol: Harvey, thanks for the kind words... I thought about fiddling with white balance... but I liked it as is.. I think my focus is a litle soft on the 1st one. John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

There seems to be some difference, with the D5000 clearly a little improved in sharpness and detail for both stills and videos. I think the image might be a little more noisy than the D90, but sharper, due to a weaker AA filter. Official specs are the same. I think the D5000 looks a bit better, and the D300S videos are the same as the D50000 visually, but with much improved sound. Of course it is all down to Sony sensors, but Sony sensors in a form which we Sony users can't yet get hold of...

David
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

David Kilpatrick wrote:My lips are sealed!

I think some of the earlier rumours are a good guide to what will actually be announced. However, there's more. Wait and see.

David
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPa ... age=870011

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPa ... age=870000
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

He was not supposed to do that! It's still embargoed until 6am today (Wednesday).

Richard K went to the official launch Tuesday, nothing else spectacular was shown (no D700X).

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Lol, the D3s kinda stole your thunder, didn't it John? Love the shots, she's a beautiful girl.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

So it seems that the introduction of video to dslr cameras is bringing further innovation to stills photography, rather than degrading the cameras and their feature sets. I wonder how many cycles it will take for this technology to trickle down to us amatuers?
Juanito200
Viceroy

Yeah Kevin, it kinda got lost in the hoopla.... At least I know what Nikon is up to....Thanks for the comment!