Flowers 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Flowers 2010

Unread post by Birma »

Hi JB - great to hear you have your 700 replacement :D. Really like #2 especially. Really nice flower in #4, but I'm not so keen on the background there.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Thanks Yildiz and Birma. Funny thing about #4, I was trying to make the background complimentary to the subject. It is a bit cluttered for my taste as well but some of those out of focus lillies look really smooth.
As far as the replacement camera goes, I just purchased a used a900 last night. Pray for my soul. I rented one and took it to Scotland. It was so much fun that I could not get it off my mind ever since. Now I have to sell a lens or 2 to climb out of the hole. The wife and I now have maximum resolution and APS reach. Should be a good combination.
Look for some a900 shots in the weeks to come.
Last edited by jbtaylor on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I guess that is the danger of trying out the exciting high end kit - you can't go back :D .
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

jbtaylor wrote:Thanks Yildiz and Birma. Funny thing about #4, I was trying to make the background complimentary to the subject. It is a bit cluttered for my taste as well but some of those out of focus lillies look really smooth.

As far as the replacement camera goes, I just purchased a used a900 last night. Pray for my soul. I rented one and took it to Scotland. It was so much fun that I could not get it off my mind ever since. Now I have to sell a lens or 2 to climb out of the hole. The wife and I now have maximum resolution and APS reach. Should be a good combination.
Look for some a900 shots in the weeks to come
Hi JBTaylor, :D

Although I feel for your wallet, I am genuinely happy for you and your wife! : )
Definitely will look out for your new photo experimenting.

I wish the A700' new model would make it to the market soon so I can make some final decisions on acquiring an A900 or any Alpha DSLR for that matter! : )

Happy shooting!! : ))

Yildiz
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Yildiz,
Not to get too far off topic, but I think that the a900 would fit your kind of shooting. I bet you that a new a7xx will cost as much as a used a900 in good condition (or close to it). I always say this but I think my camera needs are met now for a very long time. That makes the whole "will there still be an alpha" decision moot. The camera arrives this Friday and I start shooting Saturday. can't wait.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

jbtaylor wrote:Yildiz,
Not to get too far off topic, but I think that the a900 would fit your kind of shooting. I bet you that a new a7xx will cost as much as a used a900 in good condition (or close to it). I always say this but I think my camera needs are met now for a very long time. That makes the whole "will there still be an alpha" decision moot. The camera arrives this Friday and I start shooting Saturday. can't wait.
I agree with you, JBTaylor. : )

A900 was a camera I had my heart set on since its release. I'm not sure if I can find a used A900 in as good condition as the one you have just purchased in Istanbul. And I always felt safer with equipment that was brand new and I was the first ever user, after the quality control department, that is! : )) But we all are also curious if Sony actually has one in effect or if they are far too preoccupied with other matters of life while at the assembly line! :D

I wish you all the best with the A900!

Today I went to see the movie, Inception at The Kanyon mall. While departing I noticed the florist and shot some Begonias. Not the best composition but I had a limited stay there and had to rush out to be somewhere on time. : )

Here it goes.. The Begonia in the pot which at first I thought was artificial due to its bright colour and waxed appearance. It is real and alive. : ))

Yildiz
Attachments
Begonia 3.jpg
(189.91 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

How come the flower thread has drifted down the list, isn't anyone shooting flowers anymore? except Yildiz of couse :-) , nice looking Begonias, and your quite right the artificial flowers nowdays are surprisingly good, you have too look very closely to see if they are real or not.
Greg

ps. If this keeps up I'll have to go and find some scruffy looking out of season flowers..... :lol:
Rosearodoe
Acolyte

Unread post by Rosearodoe »

Beautiful Work Guys, Such gorgeous flowers you all grow around the world. I envy those of you without a freezing winter temps like here, below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Love the roses and the begonia's.

Sincerely,

Rosemarie
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely Begonias Yildiz, with that great 3D effect that you produce, I feel like I could pick them off the screen.

Greg, yes please, let's have some more pictures from the back yard :D (I have been out this morning and I have some flowers captured on the camera - they are downloading at the moment, and I hope I get some time for pp'ing soon.)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hi Birma, the only thing I've got that's new at the moment is a wildflower in bloom I snapped out the window on the trip, I don't know what it is but I saw quite a few in the distance here and there.
Greg

ps. I do have a closer shot (a hurried stop and snap), but it's a little underexposed, not enough compensation given for the backlighting.

A100 KM24-105
DSC03062.jpg
DSC03062.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
I found the file, but like I said it's not much of shot.
DSC03060.jpg
DSC03060.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Greg - interesting tree and blossom - I like the ones that flower before they get any leaves.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Some flowers from this morning, all from the gardens of ruined stately home near where I live (see the Witley Court thread here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=3632).

Lavendar, a bit past its best.

Bees buzzing in the formal flower beds.

A Hydrangea in the woods.

All with A700 and Beercan.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

It looks like that Lavendar does have an actual little violet flower on top of the pod thingy, I think I've only seen the pods before.
I've seen that spiky type of flower with the bees before somewhere, and always wondered why the bees are attracted too it, it doesn't look too promising to me for nectar...but the bees know what their doing that's for sure.
The last one the Hydrangea looks like a pink butterfly...hmm how come you get pink Hydrangeas in the woods and we get dry Mitchell grass...if we're lucky.
I like the bokeh in all of those, sort of makes me wonder if my MD70-210 f4 is worthwhile getting an adaptor for, very similar lens to the beercan supposedly, only MF not AF.
Greg

ps. Id' like to know what that yellow wildflower is I took a photo of, if Yildiz was around she might have some idea what family of plants it belongs too.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Beautiful roses Aster, have real classic look.

Greg, I really like wild flowers, the one taken from
the truck is a good one. I expect David Attenborough
to appear any second. ;^) Not much of a shot you say
for the second? thats a tuff shot, I'm sure I could not
have done any better.

Lovely set there Birma. Great colour & bokeh in
all three.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks for the kind words Greg, Birma and David! :)

Nice to see one species that I haven't seen before, Greg. That tree indeed has some spectacular yellow flowers.

Birma;

Those are very refreshing flower shots. The blues and lavanders and the subtle stems of budded wild flowers look very fragile yet also very lovely...

:) Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz