Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

You got the decisive moment Henry.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

These panoramas would have been impossible with my larger camera. The TX7's sweep panorama let me shoot extra wide shots with moving waves in, and the tiny sensor's near-infinite depth of field (whatever the aperture) was good for the deep landscapes with limited light.

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Kevin, I guess you need an a77... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice panos KB. The ability of that function to cope with waves amazes me. I guess the frame rate is such that the waves don't move much. There is an impressive amount of drift wood there. Enough for a few camp fires :D .

The Doc makes a good point re. the A77. How do you feel about the new SLTs KB?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The driftwood stretched for at least a mile down the beach, and such a racket it made as the tide came in! I thought long and hard about the a77, but ultimately decided against it. The a700's 12 MP RAW files are good enough for me, and as for the JPG-only widgets, I can make do with a Cyber-Shot (and my new one, the HX9V, does sweep panoramas at a higher resolution than the A77).
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Very good pano's Kevin! Especially like the first.
mvanrheenen

Taken above the Alps somewhere over Switzerland or France.

Shot with my Nokia N8-00. no edit. I noticed a lot of color noise in the image, especially if you view ik at 100%. You can still see it on the wing of the plane. Also, AWB has made it really blue. Maybe I'll correct it later.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Nice Mark :-)
Try RawTherapee, I think it does a pretty good job with the color noise from my Satio.

/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
mvanrheenen

Hi Zeb, I will, thanks :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yesterday was Seijin no hi (Adult Day) which is the day each year when everyone who has turned 20 since the last one gets all dressed up (usually kimono for women) and attends a government ceremony where they are officially proclaimed adults. Afterwards you always see many of them walking around town. Here are three 20-year old women taken with Canon S95:

If you are interested here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_of_Age_Day

Here is one more at the end of the day looking a bit tired and having lost some of the blush of youth she had earlier in the day:

Last week I reluctantly bought a Canon S95. Reluctantly because it doesn't have a VF (no OVF, no EVF). It is also smaller than I need so the handling is a bit too compromised, but not so bad. If you want a VF there are just so few choices these days in a small camera. The Canon G12 and Nikon P7100 have one, but they are just a bit too large/heavy for my in-the-pocket, carry-everywhere camera. The S95 is even smaller than I need, but fits in even smaller pockets than my 4-year old Canon A590IS (which for me isn't all that important). The S95 shoots raw and I keep it set for that. In my limited use in the last few days is pretty good -- except that even in winter Japan and not Hawaii-bright sunlight I have already discovered the lack of a VF has been a big problem that couldn't be overcome a few times so shots were lost that could have easily been taken with the A590IS. I looked at the S100, but I saw nothing that changed in it that I cared much about and the price here in Japan is significantly higher than the S95. It will be interesting to see what my choices are a year or two from now.
mvanrheenen

Hi Henry,

Even though I have very limited knowledge of the Asian and Japanese culture and people, I know a lot of people in the big cities have need of the mouthcaps because of the terrible smogproblems they have. A few weaks ago I was in Rome, Italy where I saw a group of Asian teens walking the streets with those caps in front of their mouths. I got the distinct feeling the caps were used as some kind of fassionitem as opposed to a precaution for inhaling too much fumes and gasses. That, or those people are terrified for getting health issues all over the world. What's your experience with this?

Thank you for the link about the coming of age tradition. It's a shame the number of people following this tradition is declining.

Lovely picture of the girls though. They really seem to enjoy posing for you :-)

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting pictures and background to the Adult Day. The S95 looks like a nice pocket camera. I wonder when iPhones will start shooting RAW :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mvanrheenen wrote:Even though I have very limited knowledge of the Asian and Japanese culture and people, I know a lot of people in the big cities have need of the mouthcaps because of the terrible smogproblems they have. A few weaks ago I was in Rome, Italy where I saw a group of Asian teens walking the streets with those caps in front of their mouths. I got the distinct feeling the caps were used as some kind of fassionitem as opposed to a precaution for inhaling too much fumes and gasses. That, or those people are terrified for getting health issues all over the world. What's your experience with this?
Mark, here in Japan people don't wear those face masks because of pollution. Fortunately, air pollution is not much of a problem even in Tokyo. I have read that 40 years ago it was beginning to get bad in Tokyo, but they started working hard to clean it up. It has been okay since I first started spending time in Japan in 1985. People in Japan sometimes wear these masks mostly in the winter to try to avoid catching a cold. I keep one with me, but rarely use it. When I am in a crowded place in the winter though I have started wearing it just like Japanese do. :lol: I first started doing this in 2009. Usually if I am riding a crowded Tokyo train in the winter I will put it on. Also, if I visit a hospital/clinic I will usually put it on. You can buy them everywhere and they are advertised a lot on TV. Coincidentally, my wife came in yesterday with a new package of them and asked me to start using these instead of the ones I was using before. :lol: Here they are:
IMG_0072.jpg
(190.16 KiB) Downloaded 2561 times
mvanrheenen wrote: Thank you for the link about the coming of age tradition. It's a shame the number of people following this tradition is declining.
It is a cool tradition in Japan and doesn't appear to be declining.
mvanrheenen wrote: Lovely picture of the girls though. They really seem to enjoy posing for you :-)
Yes, they enjoyed it. I saw many girls that day, usually in groups of 3 or 4, parading around a big shopping area in downtown Matsuyama. I think most receive these fairly expensive kimonos from their parents for the day and since they cost a lot of money and often they have to pay someone to dress them properly and get their hair and makeup done for the day they are all happy and proud to be noticed. I should have taken more photos. :)
mvanrheenen

So, a little bit of paranoia help keep sales up for these masks then. Strange habit :lol:

The link you provided states that the number of people participating in the ritual are declining. On the other hand, it's Wikipedia ;-)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Those masks are almost useless anyway so I read somewhere, it's more about what surfaces, items etc. you have touched with your hands, the same things that other disease ridden humans have been touching...sooner or later your face or nose itches under that mask, and what happens then? you poke a finger under it to rub the itch....don't you?
Greg