Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

Unread post by bakubo »

This is an old 2 page article from 2005, but I thought it would be of interest to people in this thread.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/multi_page8 ... -6468-7844

In 2003, Magnum photographer Alex Majoli shot some big stories for Newsweek magazine.

He spent a month in China shooting documentary images of daily life. He was in Congo for two weeks and Iraq for almost two months. In those two places he was shooting war.

Majoli's images for all three stories drew rave notices, and they earned him some of photojournalism's most prestigious awards in 2004, including the U.S. National Press Photographers Association's Best of Photojournalism Magazine Photographer of the Year Award and the U.S. Overseas Press Club's Feature Photography Award.

It would seem reasonable to guess that all that award-winning work in remote and frequently dangerous places must have been shot with big, fast, bulletproof pro SLR cameras. But in fact, Majoli shot every frame with Olympus C-5050 digital point-and-shoots -- the same camera your snap happy Uncle Maury takes to Disney World.

More recently he's been using the Olympus C-8080, along with his older C-5050 and C-5060 cameras, for many of his assignments, including shooting in Israel for Vanity Fair and the U.S. presidential elections for Newsweek.

Near the end there is this:

Though he has had great success with his point-and-shoot cameras, Majoli has some improvements he'd like to see. When you add them up, they describe an enticing synthesis of the old and the new.

"I miss the strongest of the old generation cameras -- Olympus OM-1, the Leica. The dream would be a digital camera the size of the C-5060 -- not bigger than a Leica, let's say -- with exchangeable lenses. Small lenses. I would like to see fixed lenses, not zooms. Maybe some bigger apertures -- f/1.8. The file is fine. I don't need 20 million megapixels."

These days cameras such as the NEX 6, Panasonic GX7, etc. are probably what he is using. The RX100III also fits in this category, I think. Actually, my Canon G15, which I use sometimes while walking around Tokyo and other places, is in many ways a big improvement over his old Olympus digicams and it has a faster lens to boot.
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

With a Minolta A2 - nighttime television.

And with a Minolta 7Hi - From our deck in San Rafael.

Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Love them both Tony. Do you still live in San Rafael, Tony? I can't remember
if you lived there once upon a time or you still live there.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

No, but I wish we did. We came to England in 2004 after my wife said "Why don't you quit work and we'll go and live in England?"
Tony
sury

Unread post by sury »

Aah.. I understand. :wink:

Sury
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Cogito wrote:No, but I wish we did. We came to England in 2004 after my wife said "Why don't you quit work and we'll go and live in England?"
I have only been to England once in 2001. We spent a couple of weeks in London, a few days in Birmingham, a day trip with my friend in her car to the Cotswolds including Stratford-upon-Avon, a day trip to Oxford from London, and maybe some other odds and ends. It was the end of 4 months traveling from Greece to England and we were a bit pooped by the time we got to England so didn't see as much as we would have liked. Seemed like a very nice country and quite agreeable. I gather you used to live in northern California as I did too. Since you are living in England I assume that you, your wife, or both of you are English? What is it about California that you miss?
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

bakubo wrote: I have only been to England once in 2001. We spent a couple of weeks in London, a few days in Birmingham, a day trip with my friend in her car to the Cotswolds including Stratford-upon-Avon, a day trip to Oxford from London, and maybe some other odds and ends. It was the end of 4 months traveling from Greece to England and we were a bit pooped by the time we got to England so didn't see as much as we would have liked. Seemed like a very nice country and quite agreeable.
Sounds like a busy, busy trip! Don't forget, England is about the same area as California but there's a lot more packed into it! London is worth at least a week, Birmingham probably not. It depends on what you want to see. DK could quite rightly eulogise over Scotland, much more hilly than England and just as many castles.
bakubo wrote:I gather you used to live in northern California as I did too. Since you are living in England I assume that you, your wife, or both of you are English? What is it about California that you miss?
I'm English, Judi is Oklahoman but nobody's perfect..... I miss the climate and our house. Houses in England are MUCH smaller. The main reason we moved to England was that Judi has had cancer (twice) and I am diabetic. Being both retired we were quoted $2000 per month EACH for health insurance. I know that now Medicare or Medicaid would make that much more affordable now but (nearly) free optical, dental and medical health care really did add up in 2004.
Tony
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Cogito wrote: Sounds like a busy, busy trip! Don't forget, England is about the same area as California but there's a lot more packed into it! London is worth at least a week, Birmingham probably not. It depends on what you want to see. DK could quite rightly eulogise over Scotland, much more hilly than England and just as many castles.
The only reason we bothered with Birmingham was because a friend lives there and she was hoping we would come for a visit. We did for a couple of nights and she took off work and drove us around the Cotswolds one day. We stayed in London so long just because we were tired of traveling and moving from place to place. We didn't plan or expect to stay there so long, after all it was expensive, but we just grew weary of traveling. Too bad since we had wanted to see more of Great Britain. We were sure we would be back within a couple of years, but it just hasn't happened yet. Always something else and someplace else pops into my field of vision. :lol: With the weak dollar and strong pound after 2001 though that has been a bad point also.
Cogito wrote: I'm English, Judi is Oklahoman but nobody's perfect..... I miss the climate and our house. Houses in England are MUCH smaller. The main reason we moved to England was that Judi has had cancer (twice) and I am diabetic. Being both retired we were quoted $2000 per month EACH for health insurance. I know that now Medicare or Medicaid would make that much more affordable now but (nearly) free optical, dental and medical health care really did add up in 2004.
Don't get me started about all the problems with our U.S. health care system. Of course, that is a very misleading. It is systems not system and they all interact in strange, perverse, detrimental ways. What a mess! :( Your choice of moving back to England was a very rational decision under the circumstances. I hope your wife is getting along okay.
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

bakubo wrote: Your choice of moving back to England was a very rational decision under the circumstances. I hope your wife is getting along okay.
Thanks for the hope! Judi has unfortunately developed Alzheimer's and needs the 24hr care of a care home. It's distressing but a fact of life. Getting old is not always as good as it's cracked up to be. But on a lighter note, if you or any of the forum need a bed for a night or two, there's space here. All it would cost is a PM or Email.... Image

Probably posted before but one of my favourites..... Leica Digilux 2 at San Diego zoo.

Tony
sury

Unread post by sury »

Tony, that is a one great shot. It feels I am looking at National Geographic magazine.

I much admire your stoicism. My wife finished a 39.3 mile Avon walk two weeks ago in
honor of her mom, my father and my older brother, who all valiantly but unsuccessfully
fought the disease. I will soon post those photos. I was walking with her during practices
and the best I could do was 15 miles before blisters kicked in. Being a diabetic, I could not
afford get too many blisters, too often.

With best regards,
Sury
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

sury wrote:Tony, that is a one great shot. It feels I am looking at National Geographic magazine.
Thanks Sury. I'm surprised that it came out so clearly through a glass wall. :o
sury wrote:I much admire your stoicism. My wife finished a 39.3 mile Avon walk two weeks ago in honor of her mom, my father and my older brother, who all valiantly but unsuccessfully fought the disease. I will soon post those photos. I was walking with her during practices and the best I could do was 15 miles before blisters kicked in. Being a diabetic, I could not afford get too many blisters, too often. With best regards,
Ah, I might have been a stoic in a previous existence! Image
I'm also diabetic. Last time I tried anything like running was in about 2001 - Race for the Cure in SanFran. 10K which I managed in 45 minutes, not bad for a 55 year old! Image
Look forward to the photos!
Tony
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Two shots from my Nexus 4. :) My grandchildren. :)
Everything in the life unusual!
sury

Unread post by sury »

Beautiful girls Valery. I love the deep colors of their dresses.

Sury
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Sury, thank you !
Everything in the life unusual!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Great to see all the recent photos added to this thread!