A few Snappers

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: A few Snappers

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Guys, that's pretty much 'it' there are more photos of course but not much you haven't seen already I think. I just hope my poor old KM5D didn't suffer too much in the forward compartment, I grabbed it out and nursed it most times when it got really bumpy (we went offshore a few times too a reef 4km out), but it did get the odd big unpredictable bump, and quite a few smaller sharp bashy ones just the same, it crossed my mind that if that camera comes through this ok they are a lot tougher than we all thought they were.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:Thanks Guys, that's pretty much 'it' there are more photos of course but not much you haven't seen already I think. I just hope my poor old KM5D didn't suffer too much in the forward compartment, I grabbed it out and nursed it most times when it got really bumpy (we went offshore a few times too a reef 4km out), but it did get the odd big unpredictable bump, and quite a few smaller sharp bashy ones just the same, it crossed my mind that if that camera comes through this ok they are a lot tougher than we all thought they were.
Greg
Hi Greg, : )

Maybe, a hammock-like carriage would be better for the camera while inside the bumpy vehicle... : ) A simple net that will allow for small bounces to absorb the thrusts but one that will also cradle the camera all the time until you take it out to take some shots...you know, someting that looks like a net-coccoon with strings attached.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Sorry Yildiz the KM5D got all it's bashing in the boat, very limited space in a small boat where you can protect a camera from salt water spray as you zoom along bashing over the waves, and I do mean bash, something like dropping your camera on the floor from about 1 or 2 feet every 1 or 2 seconds for half an hour or so, with an extra severe almighty ker-smash every now and then. But like I say when those sort of conditions (going into a 30km/h wind, head sea, for example) I'd grab the camera out of the forward compartment and nurse it suspended in mid air by grabbing the two plastic garbage bags that it was in (also the camera was in a good padded Lowepro toploader inside the garbage bags as well) around the scruff of the neck. But even so when things looked like they had got a lot better and the waves a lot smaller closer in to shore I'd put it back in the locker only too be caught by suddenly getting bashed again by a series of choppy waves, that happened quite a few times. One time we went from the mouth of the Colman R. 7km across the ocean too the mouth or the South Mitchel R. and for most of the time there was about a 1 ft wind chop across the top of a long 1 ft swell, we were beam on to the swell and quarter on to the wind chop so it wasn't bumpy much at all for 90% of the trip, but as we got near the mouth of the Mitchel it suddenly got really bumpy, the tide was flowing out of the river against the incoming ocean swell so suddenly the camera was copping a pounding again and I had to signal to Richard too stop the boat so I could grab the camera.....again.
So there you have it, my poor KM5D deserves a medal I think, I have used it too take pictures since all that happened too it (more than once) and it seems quite ok, no problems with anything that I can find. :o
Greg
Rosearodoe
Acolyte

Unread post by Rosearodoe »

Wow, very nice shots guys. Love the sunrise, caravan of rovers shots, crocs, and of course the huge fish, bunny an kitten. Wish we could land something land that big here. Are they a firm or soft flesh fish, and How do they taste, like ocean perch? Please don't tell me like chicken. Ha, Ha..............
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Rosearodoe, the Barramundi is a very good fish on the table, we travelled a big distance over some roughish country too catch some. There is an article in Wiki about them here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barramundi
Greg

ps. The 4X4's are Toyota Landcruisers, rare to see any other brand of light truck in the outback here, Toyota is the most reliable.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:So there you have it, my poor KM5D deserves a medal I think... Greg

:D And the gold goes to Greg's KM5D for perseverance and high fidelity !
GoldForKM5D.jpg
(164.5 KiB) Downloaded 1469 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha ha good one Yildiz :lol: it even looks like a maritime award too, my KM5D will wear it with honour, for service above and beyond the call of duty.
Greg

ps. What a great little camera, I took heaps of photos with it each day and didn't even need the reserve battery the entire 8 or 9 days.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:Ha ha good one Yildiz :lol: it even looks like a maritime award too, my KM5D will wear it with honour, for service above and beyond the call of duty.
Greg
:D Well, it is nicely-deserved by a KM5D which did not leave track of good photography on restless waters!

You're right about the nautical resemblences. : ) It's an anchor inside a gyrocompass with other measurement tools engraved on the surface that are only barely recognizable due to size of the pendant.

Exactly the reason I selected it from my photo archives. :D It was taken with my Sony DSC-V3 at a jeweler's shop. : )
Who would of guessed I would one day use it for this kind of purpose!?

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:Ha ha good one Yildiz :lol: it even looks like a maritime award too, my KM5D will wear it with honour, for service above and beyond the call of duty.
Greg
:D Well, it is nicely-deserved by a KM5D which did not leave track of good photography on restless waters!

You're right about the nautical resemblences. : ) It's an anchor inside a gyrocompass with other measurement tools engraved on the surface that are only barely recognizable due to size of the pendant.

Exactly the reason I selected it from my photo archives. :D It was taken with my Sony DSC-V3 at a jeweler's shop. : )

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg

Yildiz
Tony Meredith
Initiate

Unread post by Tony Meredith »

Congratulations on a great thread Greg, and a great fishing trip too by the looks. Looking through your photos brought back good memories of my own trip to the cape in 08. I feel inspired to post some of my own Cape York photos, and I will just as soon as i can find the files.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Tony, feel free too post here, or start one of your own..whatever, did you go to the tip? that seems popular these days, I've never been myself.
Greg

ps. Actually the Barra weren't really plentiful, or not on the bite, we were scratching to get our quota, one or the chaps in the other boat didn't even catch one until the last half an hour of the last day, and there did seem too be many Grunter on the chew either, must have been the full moon or something.
Tony Meredith
Initiate

These are some from when my wife and I travelled to Cape York in 2008. The Cape, as it's known, is one of the iconic 4WD destinations in Australia. The journey for us was about 6000km return.

Magnetic termite mounds. These can get really tall:
Attachments
Cape York  006.jpg
Cape York 006.jpg (173.28 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Cape York  005.jpg
Cape York 005.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Cape York  003.jpg
Cape York 003.jpg (182.41 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
Tony Meredith
Initiate

Some more scenery from the cape:
Attachments
Cape York  004.jpg
Cape York 004.jpg (68.1 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Cape York  008.jpg
Cape York 008.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Cape York  009.jpg
Cape York 009.jpg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Tony Meredith
Initiate

A few of the mighty Patrol that took us there and back, including one which was a bit of an oops moment. I got lazy and didn't check what was under the surface. Turned out to be deep wheel ruts, which stopped us in our tracks very quickly. Luckily there was a small tree, just strong enough to winch off, which eventually allowed me to rescue the vehicle.
Attachments
Cape York  001.jpg
Cape York 001.jpg (77.07 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Cape York  007.jpg
Cape York 007.jpg (179.89 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Cape York  012.jpg
Cape York 012.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 3627 times