A few Snappers

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

A few Snappers

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Dawn a couple of hundred km's up the road.
Greg
A100 KM24-105
DSC02947.jpg
DSC02947.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
A few hundred km more, last place to get diesel.
DSC02966.jpg
DSC02966.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Quite a few more hundred km's, late afternoon.
DSC02978.jpg
DSC02978.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: A few Snappers

I'm not sure if I'm posting these correctly.

Nice Cape York sunset, there is a pano of three shots but too large to post.
A100 KM24-105
DSC02996.jpg
DSC02996.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Early dawn going fishing.
_ICT1450.jpg
_ICT1450.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
What we came for, to catch some Barramundi.
KM5D KM18-200
_ICT1420.jpg
_ICT1420.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

A few little snappers here and there.
Greg

KM5D KM18-200
_ICT1467.jpg
_ICT1467.jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
_ICT1471.jpg
_ICT1471.jpg (112.23 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
_ICT1474.jpg
_ICT1474.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

We managed to get closer too one by turning the engine off and drifting.
Greg
KM5D KM18-200
_ICT1550.jpg
_ICT1550.jpg (151.32 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
_ICT1555.jpg
_ICT1555.jpg (184.14 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
_ICT1556.jpg
_ICT1556.jpg (130.87 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Fun to see a bit of your countryside, wildlife, and the expedition. About that photo at the diesel stand, is that the Australian Navy on maneuvers? :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha ha good one Henry, I'm just trying too imagine those nice white uniforms in the mangroves and mud...hmmm
Greg

ps. I think the NAVY has a couple of slightly larger boats, not sure though, we don't see much of the NAVY around Townsville, it's an ARMY town.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Congratulations Greg! What an exciting bunch of photos! : ))

It's good to see where that half-exposed shoulder of our Greg was heading to in a rather more detailed fashion!
I must say you have a very impressive land, which looks rough and a place for tough girls and guys. :D Trucks in full swing, stirring dust and dirt; guys in full-protection gear and nets...; but guys that keep moving! :)

If I didn't already know we are viewing Australia, I could say you were on a safari in Africa...

That Barramundi is worth making the trip. That's a gorgeous silver 'throphy' your friend is showing! Good catch... : )

A grand sunset in Cape York. The days never got boring as it appears! : )

I see why women are crazy about crocodile handbags and attire. That creature has an excellently patterned skin with admirable colours. I am glad that creature looks determined to keep the 'hand bags' on himself, where they belong! : ))

Your trip was a success!

Thanks for sharing, Greg!

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Yildiz :-)) yes I've noticed the similarities our countryside has with Africa in the past, very similar indeed, there has been the odd plan in the past to store endangered African wildlife here in vast parks, but for some reason or another they never seem to come to pass, possibly because it would be difficult too guanantee that the critters would remain inside the fence no matter how big and strong (and expensive) it was. I reckon if they fenced off a few thousand square miles of Kakadu on the edge of it somewhere, they could store quite a few White Rhino there safe from poachers.
Greg

ps. The friend with the nice freshly caught Barramundi is my brother, a very good fisherman, much better than me anyway.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Tsawwassen Sunny 22ºc

Terrific series of your expedition Greg.
The convoy looks well prepared and
ready for business.

That is one huge fish your brother has
landed and managed to display. Very nice
sunset. Couple of good ones with the crock
sliding back to the water. Looks like a 15
footer head to tail?

Thanks for sharing these Greg, it's been an
enjoyable adventure going through the photos.

This is the wildlife I came across last night.
Pretty tame. ;^)

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

And here's my 'most feared wild life !' here, Greg! :D The watch cat of our walls, giving me the "Watch out where you're heading Yildiz! This is my napping spot, go find yourself an other wall top!!!"

With one look from those eyes, I go looking for my own wall top.... :D :D

David Antony;

Lovely soft creature! Good shot... : ))

Yildiz

Zzzzz....
NappingCat2.jpg
(200.84 KiB) Downloaded 1912 times
"Read my eyes, Yildiz!" : )
' cat on the Wall.jpg
(142.34 KiB) Downloaded 1912 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks DA, that's a fine photo of a Rabbit don't knock it, I'm guessing they are very alert and difficult too photograph, probably something like a Squirrel.
Both of the Toyota's in the 'Safari' carried petrol powerd freezers both for keeping the block ice for use in the boats throughout the day and for storing the cryopacked (vacuum pumped and welded bags) fish fillets and mud crabs. My brother had two cryopack units there in case one failed, (they aren't very reliable) and a generator (only ran for an hour or so each night) too run the fluro lights and cryo units. There were also two 12V Engel fridges. My brothers truck also had a built in 100lt fresh water tank, and a large specially made (he made it, he owns a fabrication shop), cross mounted alluminium petrol/gas tank mounted just behind the header board for fuel for the outboard motors, generator and freezers. The alternator on the petrol powerd freezer also re-charged the backup 12V battery in the Toyota that ran the Engel fridge.
Greg

ps. I think the Croc we got close too might have been around 10-12ish perhaps, I would have liked too have seen the big one that made a large slide in the mud, THAT was BIG, I just looked at it for a while and photographed it, awestricken...it would have been much longer than our boat, something that big could easily take a cow.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Haw! Yildiz, I know that look only too well, (nicely captured) I had a cat as well...bequeathed by my sister. It wasn't bad as cats go though, more doggish than cattish in some respects, it knew the sound of my truck from far away and would run too the front door (so I was told) and look back over the shoulder the way only cat's can, too be let out, it would be waiting at the gate by the time I pulled up, if I ignored it and went too open the gate I would get the paws through the gate treatment until I gave it a ruff up. Often I'd have to go downstairs at nite to move a sprinkler and 'IT' would be lurking somewhere in the dark....one never knew just where, then there would be the amazing ambush/attack and it would disappear into the darkness again. Yeah, funny cat....I sort of really miss it...it got something wrong with it's liver (bleading at the mouth) poor thing, and the vet had to put it too sleep, oh well, such is life.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Greg Beetham wrote:Both of the Toyota's in the 'Safari' carried petrol powerd freezers both for keeping the block ice for use in the boats throughout the day and for storing the cryopacked (vacuum pumped and welded bags) fish fillets and mud crabs. My brother had two cryopack units there in case one failed, (they aren't very reliable) and a generator (only ran for an hour or so each night) too run the fluro lights and cryo units. There were also two 12V Engel fridges. My brothers truck also had a built in 100lt fresh water tank, and a large specially made (he made it, he owns a fabrication shop), cross mounted alluminium petrol/gas tank mounted just behind the header board for fuel for the outboard motors, generator and freezers. The alternator on the petrol powerd freezer also re-charged the backup 12V battery in the Toyota that ran the Engel fridge.
Geez - you guys really rough it when you go out in to the wild :D Great series of photos Greg. Love the convoy shots, especially as they move away from 'civilisation'. Also like the monster fish shot - woweee.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks mate, ha ha, yeah it sounds a little bit too civilized doesn't it, but thing is, fish spoils so easily, and a week way out in woopwoop land where you can't plug anything into a wall socket for hundreds of km in any direction means you have to be self sufficient....absolutely no choice in that one, so that's the solution that my brother came up with for keeping things as fresh as the day it was caught. I think he sort of copied a professional fishermans outfit...downsized, I think he did a good job though. He also fitted out the boat himself, inbuilt circulating live bait tank, underfloor fuel tank, inbuilt (removable) icebox in a custom built forward compartment, centre console with gps log nav. colour sounder, marine two way Hi Lo radios, bilge pump, overhead led 'fluro' detachable light on a mast for night fishing, two re-positionable pedestal seats (multi choice deck sockets), each equipped with it's own shade umbrella if need be...loves his fishing does my brother.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I really admire that level of practicality - need a reliable freezer unit in the bush - no worries! A fishing trip with every angle covered :D.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.