Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2011)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today 2011-In Your Vicinity

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thats different Mark, you sure have a busy sky, I hope they all stay nicely apart from one another.
Greg
ps. That lake looks frozen over in the bottom photo.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi Greg,

We live, and the lake lies, in the flight path of our busiest airport, so it's fairly busy above our heads all the time ;-)

The lake actually isn't frozen, just looks it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote::) Where to find a little space to lay one's mat?! What a lively crowded beach it is.

Nice warm shot!
Yes, the beaches sure have been crowded since Christmas, but around January 1st they really are swarming with tourists. I like it with so many people, although there are tourists year round. That photo is just only one part of the long beach though. Here is a satellite photo that shows most of the Waikiki beach area. The beach circled in red is the section in that photo. This is also the section of beach where they have the annual outrigger canoe races on Independence Day (July 4th).
waikiki_satellite.jpg
(234.23 KiB) Downloaded 1724 times
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Weather now in McKinney: Temp 10° C, Humidity 53%, wind S @ 8mph. Here are some cool clouds from the sunset tonight. Dannelle alerted me to the clouds. Her art room faces WSW, so she gets a pretty good view of the sunsets around here.
Attachments
sunset 1-3-11 edit.jpg
(160.13 KiB) Downloaded 1705 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Wow! Lots of great shots to start off the year with!

St. Louis: 2C, high of 3C tomorrow. No shots as I've been busy making up for lost time at work.

Dusty
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Partial eclipse of the sun at sunrise, was blocked by a bank of cloud, but caught this at the end of the show.
David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Interesting cloud formation John, I'm not sure about that funnel shaped one, looks a bit ominous.
Lucky with that cloud break David A. you have a once in a lifetime shot there I reckon.
Greg
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Wow, great shot David! Talk about being at the right place at the right time! I heared on the news that the eclipse couldn't be seen by the most of us because of the weather conditions around here.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Great eclipse shot David Greg is right great timing on the opening in the clouds. (clouds ruined most of my lunar eclipse shots)- I was excited about the solar eclipse, then I read that I wouldn't be able to see it...Dammit
Greg- it does look ominous, but oddly enough there were no storms yesterday, and I was rarely more cloudy than what you see in the photo. John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2011)

From tonight on my way home. Weather tonight 8°C wind NW @6, humidity 54%.. Good night all, John
Attachments
From the Shell.jpg
(181.48 KiB) Downloaded 1659 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That's a great shot John, I don't know how you found anywhere on a freeway to pull over and take the shot, that's one of the main reasons I hate highways, they usually aren't people frendly at all.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi everyone! :D

I must have tempted the evil nodules and ends of the servers and the fiberoptics most probably, when I said long ago that I wasn't getting "SQL Errors" that can try one's nerves that frequently. Because the past few days really had me on the edge, leaving me edgy and nervous.

: ) Well, seems fine now, so I better use this chance to reply to some gorgeous photo posts!

bakubo wrote:
aster wrote::) Where to find a little space to lay one's mat?! What a lively crowded beach it is.

Nice warm shot!
Yes, the beaches sure have been crowded since Christmas, but around January 1st they really are swarming with tourists. I like it with so many people, although there are tourists year round. That photo is just only one part of the long beach though. Here is a satellite photo that shows most of the Waikiki beach area. The beach circled in red is the section in that photo. This is also the section of beach where they have the annual outrigger canoe races on Independence Day (July 4th).
Thanks for uploading a satellite + map of the region, Henry. :) I can see how the soft curve to the beach is used to advantage for such events. Quite shallow compared to the rest of the lenght of the beach, it provides a moderately safe area for swimming, surfing and all the traditional water contests and games for the Hawaiian.

Juanito200 wrote:Weather now in McKinney: Temp 10° C, Humidity 53%, wind S @ 8mph. Here are some cool clouds from the sunset tonight. Dannelle alerted me to the clouds. Her art room faces WSW, so she gets a pretty good view of the sunsets around here.

Hi John, : )

The cloud formations and the gradual colour interaction left me speechless. We never see such cloud forms as that funnel-like one in the center. Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.
braeside wrote:Partial eclipse of the sun at sunrise, was blocked by a bank of cloud, but caught this at the end of the show.

Impressive timing...or coincidence? : ) It requires some patience and planning ahead to catch a shot of the Universal Bodies creating phenomena for the Earth-bound people like ourselves. Such a spectacular sight. I kind of think that the clouds add a hint of drama and mystery to the whole incident. A sight that the Mayans and other Ancient Cultures most definitely would experience, stand and observe in awe and then have reasons to create and calculate all those almost epic calenders that have accuracies that leave our scientists in awe today.

Thanks for sharing David. It's amazing.
Juanito200 wrote:From tonight on my way home. Weather tonight 8°C wind NW @6, humidity 54%.. Good night all, John

Non-stop at night! Construction, especially highway and bridge constructions never stop...Well, maybe for a blizzard or thunder storm or a cyclone! :) A real nice and sharp photo of the crane and the construction site, John.

Thanks for sharing just before heading for a night's rest! : ))

Yildiz
Juanito200
Viceroy

Thanks guys- Greg no problems with pulling over, I was at a gas station. The van going by was on the access road. The street that goes to my neighborhood goes under the bridge. I'll be soooo glad when they are done. It has been a real PITA!
One of my photographic New Year's resolution is to do more night shooting, and the round the clock construction may turn out to be a good subject. There are a couple large projects going on so plenty of opportunities...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ah that explains it John, yeah those road projects are usually worse than it was before until they finish it.
Greg
Clear-ish sky today: 24.5|30.6C, H75%, 7|24km/h ENE|NE.
A100 KM24-105 Oleander (and sky late this afternoon).
DSC03337.jpg
DSC03337.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 3984 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Weather in Istanbul: Image

8° C | 2° C
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 2 °C
Wind: 2 km/h / 0.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 1029 hPa (Steady)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Greg, : )

It's pretty interesting to see a flowering Oleander while ours are already dry and hybernating! Good thing we have the Southern lands to fill the voids. : ))

Istanbul was chilly with some clouds overhead as I came in today, as can be seen from the Bosphorus shot. (Shot as soon as I entered the house)

I met an interesting cat on my way that acted the kinglion / queenlioness of the tree trunk quite confidently. : )

Yildiz

Bosphorus this evening
BosphorusWeather.jpg
(204.88 KiB) Downloaded 1603 times
ErtugrulTekkeMosque
ErtugrulTekkeMosque.jpg
(242.5 KiB) Downloaded 1603 times
"Don't I look the kinglion of the Car Park Jungle?"
KittyOnTreeTrunk 2.jpg
(239.25 KiB) Downloaded 1569 times
"You really want that portrait Aster, don't you?"
KittyOnTreeTrunk 1.jpg