Flowers 2011 (Photoclubalpha Flora)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Flowers 2011 (Photoclubalpha Flora)

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely Dove Orchids Greg - only open for a day? Wow :shock: that sort of keeps you on your toes.

Really like those two colourful shots Steve - always like an added Bee :D . Lovely bokeh in both. Perhaps the second is some sort of Iris? Please try more flower shots :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Birma, yep one day is about it for White Doves, they still open again in the morning on the next day but not as good as the first day when the buds first open, by the end of the third day they are all wilted.
Yes stevecim very nice, I sortof recognize that second one, but I can't remember, Yildiz might know what it is.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Your Dove Orchids are a joyful sight, Greg. :D

The flower in question is Gladiolus.

I love the intricasy in the Flowering Gum Tree flowers, Stevecim. The colour is also enticing for its difference brighness ans warmth.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Following a scout around the garden today I discovered these chaps just starting to sprout under the bushes at the bottom of the garden.

Snowdrop 2 by Birm, on Flickr

Snowdrop 3 by Birm, on Flickr

A700 + Tamron 60 f/2 Macro
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Further to Greg's query about the buds of the Bodnant Viburnum, here is a picture of a bloom just starting to come out, with a more progressed bloom oof in the background. Second picture is another step forward on the life-cycle. I rather liked the late afternoon light in these.

Bodnant viburnum 4 by Birm, on Flickr

Bodnant viburnum 5 by Birm, on Flickr

A700 + Tamron 60mm f/2
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Thanks for the for the comments Birma, Greg, Yildiz and extra thanks to Yildiz for naming the second flower, I noticed it was a very common garden flower down on the coast (Indented Head). I should have taken a photo of the whole Gum tree, it had a mass of flowers on it. Hmmm, maybe I'll one around home, lots of gum around. :)
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Nice shots Birma, The Tamron 60mm f/2 looks like a good lens, I hope to get a good marco lens some day, for now I using the Tamron 70-300 in Macro mode but it only works in macro from 180mm on with a mini focus distance of 1M
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Those Viburnum buds remind me of the Desert Rose a little Birma but much more clustered of course, yes afternoon light has that special quality, slightly warmer and directional but not over strong to produce harsh shadows. Very nice Snowdrops indeed, the plant itself looks sortof lily-ish maybe.
Greg
ps. Have to suspend operations now and see what preperations are needed for a cyclone, the weather people are saying we might cop one tomorrow, there's one out in the Coral sea heading in our direction they think.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

I reprocessed one of the images with CaptureOne Pro 6.1 trial

Straight way I noticed C1 extracted a lot more detail out of the bee and no matter what I tried I could not get DxO to get the same level of detail.
but at the same time I went over one of my iso1600 images and DxO seemed to handle noise reduction and CA better.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

It's been a while. Perhaps a few would like some hints of where I've been. These sure don't grow in Colorado anyway!

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Amazing detail stevecim, I'm impressed with the little knobs on the ends of those stamens.

That's nice jcoffin, what is it? some kind of Lily and where was it? South America maybe.
Greg
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Greg Beetham wrote: That's nice jcoffin, what is it? some kind of Lily and where was it? South America maybe.
Greg
Thank you! They're Water lillies -- in the Philippines. Here's a bit more of the setting:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ah so, there's one here as well, but different flower I'm pretty sure, even though the circular floating leaves look similar. Looks like good jungle around there...nice.
Greg
donwae12
Acolyte

Unread post by donwae12 »

A red rose. This was taken with my a100. I just don't have the heart to get rid of this camera. :D
Attachments
Red Rose (Small).jpg
Red Rose (Small).jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Birma, :)

Your garden is coming to life, how nice! Lovely shots of the snowdrops and the Viburnums. The late aftrnoon light indeed makes a difference by adding brighness and a soft glow to the flower buds.

Steve, yet an othe good one of the Flowering Gum Tree flowers! : ) The bee seems to be happy to be there as well...

Jcoffin, wonderful shot of the water lilies and I love the fresh water pond with the lotus growth. The surrounding vegetation with the heigths in the far background is beautiful. A heavenly spot with good light for photo shooting. : )

Donwae12, red roses are always spectacular! : ) And A100s are good at flower-shooting.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz