Birds 2011

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Birds 2011

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks John, it was actually late afternoon when I took those, it's just a shady tree and a bit gloomy under there where the birdbath is. The big challenge for the camera and lens is when small birds are jumping around between and among a thicket of small branches, that, I think would be a challenge for just about any camera lens combo, but I thought they handled it rather well considering, I thought I would have a lot more trouble than I actually did, put it that way. (Still not as quite as good as I would like though, bird photographers are never satisfied ha ha).
That's a hungry looking little chap John, maybe they might appreciate a seed feeder after a long flight and can only find snow, nice photo just the same.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Went for a quick cycle down to the park at the end of the street, saw quite a few birds but only got one half decent shot of one, a black cockatoo nibbling on a seed.
Greg
A700 KM100 KM100-300apo
DSC03385.jpg
DSC03385.jpg (88.91 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

As always, exciting birds... : )

John, indeed tiny and cute, that one is against the whiteness of the snowy background.

Greg, it must be really hard to get these shots when they are so active and looking for food. But I like the grey darkness of this Cockatoo. : ) And you say these are just a cycle's time away rom your place...? I stand / sit here in envy! : ))

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Yildiz, it's not a bad little bird spot down there, not really easy to get good shots though, it can be quite dense in places.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Got a couple more, nothing too wonderful due to user error, I forgot to switch the camera back to Auto ISO to save the flash batteries and recycle time, it wasn't till I got back I saw it was still on ISO100...duh! so some of the best compositions, bird position, focus, obstuctions etc. were way underexposed due to the flash not being ready yet.
But late arv down at the park is absolutely the best time to go for sure, more birds, and they come closer as well.
Greg

A700 KM100-300apo Rainbow Bee Eater
DSC03429.jpg
DSC03429.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
White Throated Honeyeater
DSC03407.jpg
DSC03407.jpg (72.62 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Yellow Honeyeater
DSC03416.jpg
DSC03416.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The other few from this arvo.
Greg

A700 KM100-300apo Blue Faced Honyeater
DSC03425.jpg
DSC03425.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Kookaburra
DSC03446.jpg
DSC03446.jpg (74.4 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Another Black Cockatoo
DSC03449.jpg
DSC03449.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

These are very rich, Greg! : )) Thanks for sharing.

With your permission, I hope, I downloaded them to a folder on my laptop, so I can study and fully enjoy the sight of these unique (for me) bird species.

Each one is a beauty. Australia is great for exotic bird and plant shots only a few steps away from home estate. :)

Yildiz
BruceKingston
Heirophant

Unread post by BruceKingston »

Morning All, Here's a Grey Heron that I scared off (unintentionally) at the same lake that the Ibises came from down the road from work
_DSC7787-Edit-2.jpg
_DSC7787-Edit-2.jpg (181.26 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
Bruce Kingston
Blog, sales and other stuff: http://www.kingdiholdings.com
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Good Grey Heron BK, I saw quite a fiew of those when I was up in the Gulf on a fishing trip, but either they walked off into the mangroves or flew away before I could get the camera.
Thanks Yildiz, you are welcome, I saw/heard a few other birds there that I haven't been able to get yet.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great bird shots everybody - I have really enjoyed catching up with this thread. Very interesting to see all of the Australian varieties. The image that I can't shake off is Redsim74's dove - super shot that does nothing to alleviate my CZ16-80 lens lust :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Splendid shots with such a wide variety of birds, well done all.

Swinging in the Rain.

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, : )

Thank you for the permission, I appreciate it and the beauty of the birds of course! : ))
I increased the contrast and made some adjustments to your shots to see the real colours a bit enhanced on my computer and the Rainbow Honeyeater and the rest all took a finer look; the colours and details are amazing.

I couldn't PM them to you though, for lack of time and the Pms don't allow for JPEG attachments. Well, what I mean is that the birds have great colour combinations. :D A must see!

------------------------------------

Hi David Antony,

Cute one! :D

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The feeder is doing a good job DA, well done, looks like miserable weather at that moment.
Greg

ps. Yildiz, I thought the photos of the birds colour wise was fairly accurate to reality, Elements 8 seems to get it reasonably good from the A700 JPEG's, it's the KM5D I have trouble with, and I'm pretty sure it's the colour space I've got set in the camera, but the selections are different in that camera from memory, I'll have to try a different one and see how that goes.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Tsawwassen 8ºc. Intermittent rain.

Got out to the fields & marshes today.

Common Merganser

Bald Eagle

Not perfectly sure of the next two?

david antony
Viceroy