Birds 2011

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Birds 2011

Unread post by Birma »

Cool garden bird Greg :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

As always, great birds in flight, AA. : )

Greg, : )

I'll be repeating myself when I say : " How come such extraordinary creatures appear so ordinary to the Australians? And they are actually in the backyard of someone!"

I'll abide by my brown sparrows and brown doves.... : )

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Birma, and Yildiz I’ve been thinking about what you said, and I’m wondering why it is that I appear to take such birds for granted. I think it’s because there has always been Ibis in the yard and one sometimes forgets that’s not how it is everywhere, it is easy to do when it’s something you see every day. :D
There are Curlews running up and down the street at night looking for insects and making their loud mournful calls; I probably take them for granted as well and it’s because they’ve always been there I suppose.
What does get me excited is when rainforest birds take up residence for a while locally, there was an Orange Footed Scrubfowl here for a while, it used to hang out over in Kylies place across the road and occasionally wander into our yard as well, it’s habits were very chooky, no mulch pile was safe from it scratching it all over and making a mess, it used to make it’s loud chooky calls for a while just after dusk, but it has moved on now. Other welcome visitors have been Scrub Turkeys (regular visits), Wompoo Fruit Dove (occasional), Torres Strait Pigeon (occasional); frequent visitors for a while were a pair of Pheasant Coucals (not seen for months now), the Spangled Drongo and the Koels come and go on a regular basis.
But at the moment I’m thrilled every evening by a Noisy Pitta calling from somewhere nearby and marvel at why it’s in a residential neighbourhood. You can hear it's call here http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/educat ... pitta.html
Greg
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

yes greg, that's one big garden bird there, nice shot :D
.....it's all about timing"
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Good shot Greg, nice to see them again. You might be getting some new plants in the garden shortly. ;^) Thanks for the Noisy Pitta link, quite a pleasant sound to my ears.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks aa los banos and DA, the Ibis saw me aiming the camera and started walking rapidly away so I think it went slightly out of focus as I pressed the button…oh well, one day I’ll get a good shot of him.
I have a shot of a couple of Ibis that were in the yard a while ago, the photo isn’t much good, the lighting was very difficult, but the interesting thing about them is they were two different species of Ibis, the White Ibis and the Straw-necked Ibis, I saw them together quite often, I often wondered what transpired, if anything….of course they might have just been friends.
There is a sound file on you-tube for the Curlews that make all the racket at night out in the street or conversely under my bedroom window, I actually don’t mind them…really, they are friendly and get tame very easily, I know someone who had one as a pet, a very special bird that was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZWHUU41 ... re=related
Also the Orange Footed Scrubfowl that graced us with its call every evening a while back is on the list as well, the video is difficult to watch but most of the sounds they make are there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_vG7O3i ... re=related
Greg

Ps. New plants DA, yeah ha ha, I just hope any ‘new plants’ don’t turn out to be a two hundred foot tall Oak or Maple.
A100 KM100-300apo (I think)
Dsc1988.jpg
Dsc1988.jpg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting bird life Greg. What is even more amazing is the you live over the road from Kylie :shock: .
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Birma, strange but true, this Kylie isn't bad looking either.
Greg
aa los banos
Oligarch

white-bellied sea-eagle
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great detail on the wing feathers AA.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Great capture of a juv Sea Eagle aa los banos.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:Thanks aa los banos and DA, the Ibis saw me aiming the camera and started walking rapidly away so I think it went slightly out of focus as I pressed the button…oh well, one day I’ll get a good shot of him.
I have a shot of a couple of Ibis that were in the yard a while ago, the photo isn’t much good, the lighting was very difficult, but the interesting thing about them is they were two different species of Ibis, the White Ibis and the Straw-necked Ibis, I saw them together quite often, I often wondered what transpired, if anything….of course they might have just been friends.
There is a sound file on you-tube for the Curlews that make all the racket at night out in the street or conversely under my bedroom window, I actually don’t mind them…really, they are friendly and get tame very easily, I know someone who had one as a pet, a very special bird that was.
Greg
Hi Greg, : )

See what I mean? They are so human-friendly and they are of different species too. You have a very impressive variety of guests for all I see all the way from here. : )

Thanks for the links to the sound recordings of the birds, I listened to all of them and found them to be very nice. I would of loved to hear them close to home myself!

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
aa los banos
Oligarch

this is my 2nd time to see a brown goshawk in the suburb and this time on our backyard, got it while watching tv when it perched on a cut tree with a catch :D

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Admirable, AA. :)

While watching TV? You really are living amongst the wild creatures!

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Great addition to the bop collection aa los banos, you have to spare a thought for their poor victims occasionally as well....

I took the bike on a quick spin down to the esplanade for a bit of a break. I happened across a couple of Plovers foraging for whatever Plovers forage for and managed a quick snap of one; there were quite a few other birds there but they were being a bit difficult, I was overjoyed to see among them a Willie Wagtail, a bird I haven’t seen close to home for many years.
Greg
A700 KM100-300apo
DSC03503-2.jpg
DSC03503-2.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 2624 times