Birds 2011

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

Re: Birds 2011

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Doc, you're guess is as good as mine. I suspect the a-typical warm weather for this time of year resulting in buds and blossoms in bloom. I hope it's not the result of earth wide climate changes...

Thanks for the kind words!
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Pretty good shot of a Blue Tit Mark, I see you have discovered how to make a bit of noise ha ha, if that one isn’t cropped how far away from the bird were you?
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I really like that Blue Tit Mark - quite an unusual pose I think, with that head on look. I like the contrast of the thorny surroundings with the bird. Not sure if the grainey-ness is distracting or not.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I think Mark might have got miffed because I mentioned the noise, actually as one bird photographer too another I really don’t care about a bit of noise, you takes what you get, I’ve posted noisy bird photos myself, it’s the subject that’s the important bit and because I know how difficult it really is to even get a small bird photo.
I was going too say based on his reply about how far away he was that with flash it’s possible too have a much shallower light depth than the focus depth and sometimes it’s actually better to be a bit further away and zoom in, then you can sometimes get the flash depth to agree more closely with the focus depth…if your lucky.
Greg
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi guys,

Yes, the image is cropped. I was standing about 8 meters away.

As Greg, I don't mind a little noise in my pictures. I don't mind cropping them either. I don't know why exactly, but I find most photographers too sensitive about cropping and PP. I don't care, as long as I get the results I want. I don't like too much PP myself, so I use PP only for getting the sensor dust off my image, crop if needed, add a little bit of sharpness and change the exposure as I like to ETTR for my birding.

The noise in this image is probably due to post processing I guess. Did a +0,5 exposure, 50 sharpness and +2 saturation as the flash made the yellow a bit flat. I also corrected the steel eye in the eyes of the bird. I shot on ISO 400 with my a580. I use Photoshop CS 5.5 btw.

Greg, don't know what "miffed" means, but if it's another word for "pissed", I am not! :-D Don't mind critique, it only helps getting better. And the nice thing about an opinion is that I don't have to agree :-) ;-) I'll take a look at PP'ing the noise a little. Maybe a Gaussians Blur will help ;-)

Mark
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Here's a hawk that was in the yard last month. I couldn't figure out why he didn't fly off when I approached, until I saw what lay at his feet.
DSC01181web.jpg
(179.57 KiB) Downloaded 1382 times
As you can see he was challenging me a bit.
DSC01209web.jpg
(168.77 KiB) Downloaded 1382 times
He calmed down when he saw I only wanted pictures.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha ha looks like he thought you wanted to knock off his squirrel, great shots Dusty. :D
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Cracking shots Dusty :D . That's a big bird as well. I don't think the local raptors here would have been so brave.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Dusty, admit that you were after the squirrel...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark, : )

The colours of the Blue Tit are goregeous. The bird looks almost alien in this particular composition.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Dusty, : )

When a great opportunity walks in, it certainly walks in to make a spectacular entry. Gorgeous shots and the expression on the Hawk's face is priceless. Poor squirrel though.

Thanks for sharing.

Yildiz