Trainspotting

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Trainspotting

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I especially like #2 Anna.
How good was that timber joinery back in the 50's or before, DrScottNicol? I doubt there is many around now who could still master those techniques.
Greg
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Last Sunday.

After this train went by, minutes later there was this other on the west side of the Fraser River.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great train shots DA, with an amazing backdrop.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

What an amazing place to put a rail line through DA, that must have been a task and a half, great train shots, it's also amazing there is only one engine pulling those huge freight trains.
Greg
david antony
Viceroy

Train heading down the Fraser Canyon.

Via Rail at Barriere, BC.

Several coaches have domes people sit in to enjoy the views.

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Great view DA, looks like a great place to do some canoeing...maybe. I know a couple of people here that have been on one of those trains with the domes, and they were all impressed with the scenery.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Those domes are a great idea to admire all of that great scenery.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Not much good for low tunnels though...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I seem to recognize that Canada rail carriage David Antony (and the mist). My wife and I went on a rail journey from Toronto to Jasper in the Canadian in June 2008 and it rained and was misty almost all the way across. Seems as if it was not a unique experience. The dome is great if the weather permits viewing. Great experience seeing your day lounge being converted to a bed room at night. The food was good though. The Rocky Mountaineer from Banf to Vancouver was even greater and the sun came out to make it perfect. The food was more than good - it was excellent.
david antony
Viceroy

I think the Banff/Vancouver is the more scenic route to Vancouver from Alberta alphaomega. however the Jasper/Vancouver also goes down the Fraser Canyon which is quite exhilarating. Glad you had good weather from Banff on and enjoyed. Yes the food & service is very good. I did it from Dryden, Ontario via Banff quite a few years back.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi David Antony, : )

I love all your mountains+trains shots and the shots of the rail maintenance engineers at work but I think the last one taken from a certain height to frame the turbulent river and the frail line of freight train aligning the beautiful hills is really impressive.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Spitfire at Faversham (a900 and 24-70 zeiss)

Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

david antony wrote:I think the Banff/Vancouver is the more scenic route to Vancouver from Alberta alphaomega. however the Jasper/Vancouver also goes down the Fraser Canyon which is quite exhilarating. Glad you had good weather from Banff on and enjoyed. Yes the food & service is very good. I did it from Dryden, Ontario via Banff quite a few years back.
Is my memory correct that the rail line between Banff and Vancouver is the one that includes a spiral tunnel inside a mountain, so the entrance and exit are at very different elevations?

With best wishes,
- Tom -
david antony
Viceroy

Quite right Tom.

Graffiti on the move.

Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

alphaomega wrote:My wife and I went on a rail journey from Toronto to Jasper in the Canadian in June 2008 and it rained and was misty almost all the way across. Seems as if it was not a unique experience. The dome is great if the weather permits viewing. Great experience seeing your day lounge being converted to a bed room at night.
I had the pleasure of travelling on the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto via Jasper in 2006. I was fortunate to have good weather the entire journey. It was a great experience. The scenery was fantastic the food excellent and some very interesting fellow passengers one of whom from New York, an Italian. could have come straight out of the film " The Godfather". I chose my words very, very carefully when speaking to him. I would not have been at all surprised if he carried a violin case that contained something other than a violin!
Canadian_observation_car-.jpg
(245.7 KiB) Downloaded 1549 times
DSC_V1

View from inside the observation car of the "Canadian"

Keith