Black and White

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Black and White

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Nice shots all.
Below is a B&W conversion of the 10th hole at Pacific Dunes in Bandon, Oregon. It is a short par 3 that sits on the edge of the country about 50 to 75 feet above the ocean. This image will probably appeal to golfers only as it is a bit busy. It does however do 2 things:
1. Shows how natural the architecture is and,
2. Gives an understanding of how special a place Pacific Dunes is.

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi JBTaylor, : )

There certainly is alot going on in the photo. Such a restless sea to the left..and it must be very windy. I wonder how that golf ball gets to where it's aimed at with so much wind, a very variable lanscaping, vegetation and all the other impeding elements that may be active at the moment of the game..

Does look like a challenge to me. : )) But of course you know better. Maybe it's easy to make the succesful shot out there and I'm far from the actual facts.

Thanks for sharing.

I like the varying subjects coming from all members... : ) Lovely motorbikes and nice blobby urn, Dr. Harout. I agree with John's analysis on the background and the subject.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

I liked all these pictures. The thing about black and white is that it is a step away from the literal. It simplifies. Colour often works against you unless you are lucky. The thing is, when you think about it, what we are trying to do is to present what we see, not what the camera sees. Always take in colour, preferably in raw. The reason is that when you make the conversion you can change the tonality of the image by adjusting the percentage of the different colours used in the conversion. I often used to use a red filter in my film days to darken a blue sky and emphasise the clouds. With a digital colour file you can add any filter you like after you have taken the pic - bliss.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Johnston
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

aster wrote:Hi JBTaylor, : )

There certainly is alot going on in the photo. Such a restless sea to the left..and it must be very windy. I wonder how that golf ball gets to where it's aimed at with so much wind, a very variable lanscaping, vegetation and all the other impeding elements that may be active at the moment of the game..

Does look like a challenge to me. : )) But of course you know better. Maybe it's easy to make the succesful shot out there and I'm far from the actual facts.

Thanks for sharing.

I like the varying subjects coming from all members... : ) Lovely motorbikes and nice blobby urn, Dr. Harout. I agree with John's analysis on the background and the subject.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
You have described the challenge perfectly and in doing so have shown why some people can play the game for a lifetime and never get enough. Everything is always changing and it is skill that allows the golfer to successfully interact with the nature around him.

Typically a landscape like this would have no meaning. It is the slender flagstick that brings everything together. It provides the basis for considering all the other elements in the image.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Jacob's Ladder

Mark
mvanrheenen

Creepy...

1/1000s f/5.6 at 400.0mm iso1600

Mark
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

a99 + SAL50M28
UNUSUAL BENCH
Unusual bench by Dr. Harout, on Flickr
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mvanrheenen

:lol:
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

My contribution..
B&W ideal for people shots

Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Nice conversions, bf . The windows/light in the first one look a little hot - an awkward situation by the looks of it. Did you use the in camera B/W or convert in RAW/PS ?

Mine - this was practically monochrome anyway!

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Raw converted. At high ISO shooting available light inside a Church it's a dead cert you're going to lose highlights. I got over my highlight blowing issues some time ago (at least for this type of shot)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Endeavour’s visit to Townsville.
Greg
DSC03562-B&W.jpg
DSC03562-B&W.jpg (206.87 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Here's a recent one.

regards - Peter
Struisbaai Cottage.jpg
(222.25 KiB) Downloaded 1811 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice Dewarp - especially like the 'painterly' sky.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.