Black and White

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

Black and White

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I noticed there aren't any recent topics covering black and white photography.

Lately, I getting more and more into black and white photography. Here's some examples I shot or converted lately. Hope you'll enjoy them :-)

Portugal

Where does this lead?

Madeira East
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Black and White

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Thumbs up!
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Mark - all nice but I especially like 2 and 3 :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like the last one best.
Greg
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

great landscapes in b/w :D
.....it's all about timing"
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I really like #2.

Dusty
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark, : )

I like the third shot for the contrast and emphasis on the vertical fall of the land piece that is also spectacular for the rise-and-fall of the hills.
The second shot is well-composed and a good perspective with the repeating of the trees on both sides.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Unread post by NeilOffkey75 »

Number 3 for me but all great shots.
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Thank you all for your kind comments and feedback on the images.

I'm just starting photography a little more seriously as a hobby and I notice I like black & white photography more and more. The classic feel and great contrasts of the images you can create in grayscale is what attracts me to it. I love classic portraits and landscaping for example.

I'm still very much struggling with composing and processing of the images, although I do feel that I'm getting more familiar with what I like to show people.

I'm a real structural person and am a sucker for symmetrical shapes and abstracts, or for anything logical for that matter. I tried some shapes and abstracts and tried processing them in B&W.

#1 Stains and strings

Although I like natural looking images (sorry, don't like over processed HDR), this image is pretty overprocessed too. You can see on the wire which is almost cartoony. I looked at it many times and I actually like the effect in this picture. Maybe I can play with it some more later on.

#2 Wooden Waves

Fairly subtle processing in this one. I like the pattern and "wave" forms of the wood.

Please feel freeto comment or make suggestions if you have them.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark,

I like subtle images as well, especially those that induce the imagination to work and leave room for suggestions.

These two B&W photos are pretty much texture shots that would have more impact at very large dimensions...ie. room wall dimensions etc. The wood grains and texture, the tiny dents in the stone wall would deserve that. Well, just my opinion. : )

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

a77 + Distagon T* 2/24 ZA SSM
ISO 50 f/5.6 1/200s A mode
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Neat old vase Doc! The curved form of the vase is a nice counterpoint to the rectilinear shapes of the stones on the left, and it serves as a segue to the free-formed rocks on the right. Nice!
I woke up early this morning, and I was bored, so I wandered around downtown McKinney. I came across this modified scooter in a parking lot.

My pappy said son I'm gonna take away th' computer, if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod scooter.
Hot Rod Scooter.jpg
(191.79 KiB) Downloaded 2443 times
With apologies to Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen....
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'll see your scooter, John, and raise you five scooters and a motorcycle.

Scooter Row by Kevin_Barrett, on Flickr

Now there's been a debate in my head for a while; to shoot in B&W or attempt conversions afterward? With my little HX9V, to shoot black and white in the moment is a commitment. For the WX150 it isn't even an option, just partial color (how did Sony let a camera hit the market without a black-and-white shooting mode?). With the a700, I suppose I can set B&W and RAW, or RAW+JPG and have the best of both worlds, but then I'm committing to a much heavier kit.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Arrrgh! I fold.... You've won this hand Kevin....

Myself, I always shoot in color, even when I have a black and white image in my head. Although I always shoot in RAW, so whatever the camera is set at isn't an issue, I prefer having a color image to go by as I convert to B/W.
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great B&W shots guys - I really like the genre, but never get the conversions to come out how I'd like :? . I really like that suped up scooter from John - kewl! Sometimes, getting up early has its rewards.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.