Gallery for magazine

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Gallery for magazine

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Can I invite those who have had well-received images here in the last three months to send a high resolution (2400 x 3600) JPEG file to [email protected].

This will be the final edition of Photoworld as you know it, and the last Gallery. After 30 years-worth of editions (actually 30 years and six months due to two changes of corporate ownership which forced us to miss issues) we are ending the magazine, it's been paid for mainly out of our own pockets for the last two years and we can find no way to change this position.

In its place, our club members will receive first of all a book (early 2012) which will be produced for the retail market as well, something we could not do with the quarterly club magazine; and from August 2012 onwards, an Alpha Annual which will put the entire budget for the quarterly magazines into a single very desirable publication.

You are the first to know this and there is no public announcement yet. One reason we have taken this decision is the shift from news reporting (actual facts and products) to speculation (advance sneak info) on the web, with an hour-by-hour deadline for capturing traffic. It renders any printed magazine, even weekly, out of date before it is printed - let alone a quarterly.

It will be far better to create a fine quality annual with an overview of the yer, as Minolta Mirror always used to feature. And there will be room for your Gallery images in that when the time comes too.

David
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Re: Gallery for magazine

Unread post by ianmiddy »

Will be sorry to see the end of a printed mag - fully understand the decision, but for me there's still no substitute for a well-printed image on excellent quality paper...

[...and that after sitting in front of screens for 30+ yrs]

Thanks for all the previous editions, David [from a comparatively new subscriber], and looking forward to next years book!

Cheers

IDM
Vaughan Brean
Heirophant

Unread post by Vaughan Brean »

I can see what you are up against, things have changed very quicky and I would imagine photoworld is expensive to produce and of excellent quality.....good luck
I will send you a few shots David
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

I haven't been a subscriber for long either, but I will definitely miss Photoworld. I look forward to the new annual. Thanks for all the work you do David.
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I can only echo the previous posters comments - I will be sad to see my favourite magazine go, but I will look forward to the new annual :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That’s a shame David, but it makes sense too curtail print magazines in this day and age with ‘now’ information/misinformation disseminated widely on the internet and so easily obtainable. The only way print can compete is with factual content, for those who remain interested in facts, that is, but the effort and dedication required to produce a printed version is something I’ve marvelled at, how you found the time to do it is a mystery.
On behalf of myself and everyone I thank you for that past contribution to photography.
Greg
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Same as previous comment.

Thank you very much for having share this with everyone, it is probably impossible to estimate how people are now passionate with photography because of you, but I'm sure they all appreciate a lot.

Regards,

Frank
(sorry for poor English to express my thoughts)
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Plus one for all the above comments.

Sad to see it go but fully understand the reason.

Richard
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Plus 50-60 or more... as any issue ''travelled'' from hand to hand here in Yerevan.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about the demise of the magazine, but thanks in advance for the annual, I am really looking forward to it.

I love looking at images from all sources and there is a real need for this sort of publication as far as im concerned.

Best wishes

Paul
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi David, : )

Pretty logical move if you ask me. It probably is a sad transition for you, having to let the magazine printing go but I believe a book that annually covers the best of a year is quite a good package.

Good luck and thank you for the magazines I was able to receive from Kelso for the past few years! : )

Yildiz
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I got my copy yesterday, I haven't had time to read it, but I can tell you that the cover, dark, looks some how apocalyptic, sign that the end is coming...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I really like the "final issue" cover - very dark and moody. It was sad to read through the last of the regular magazines, but it is a consolation that the website will continue and there is the annual to look forward to :D . I hope that we have many of DK's reports and thoughts to read through next week (hopefully some videos too!) - it is going to be difficult to resist checking the sites every 10 minutes with all of the potential news expected :shock: .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I got mine Saturday as well. I've yet to open the package. I wonder if it will some day have collector value?

Perhaps I'll have to subscribe to another Icon Publication.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
camperbc
Heirophant

Unread post by camperbc »

I am dying to learn how I am to go about getting a copy of this final issue; can someone steer me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com