Armenian Churches

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Anne_LilyofTheValley
Oligarch

Armenian Churches

Unread post by Anne_LilyofTheValley »

Hi all,

I am not good at landscapes, but I would love to share with you some shots I have taken this summer with Dr. Harout and Daniel. I hope they will also post here their photos;)
Attachments
DSC00382.jpg
DSC00382.jpg (174.07 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
DSC00113.jpg
DSC00113.jpg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
DSC00118.jpg
DSC00118.jpg (232.16 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Armenian Churches

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice pictures Anne - I particularly like #1 and #2 as they show the buildings in their surroundings.

I am a big fan of the Doc's historical pictures, both here and on Flickr, so I hope to see lots more Armenian history from all 3 of you :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi Anne,

Nothing to be worried about! #1 clearly shows you're talent in composing and that's most of the work.

Nice images and ditto subjects!

Mark
Anne_LilyofTheValley
Oligarch

Thank you very much for comments, but I still do think that I am not good at landscapes. I don't know how you all take such wonderful photos of nature and architecture. Maybe because you see it somehow differently :)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Anne - you're very kind and I guess we're all learning and you become more comfortable with the types of pictures you take most often. With the amazing portraits you take I'm sure you will excel at what ever photographic subject you put your mind to :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Anne,

Nice churches.

As the word 'photography' suggests, I believe at theart that it's the light that makes everything more special. Light paints and we try to capture that temporarily painted scene to make it eternal.

Time of day, the season and angle mainly the angle the light plays with the landscape and the architecture are what makes a better photo.
If you use the light like you use it during portraits and listen to your inner senses I'm pretty sure all will be to your liking.

It's a good part of this path to be able to critisize one's own work and seek new things.

Yildiz
Anne_LilyofTheValley
Oligarch

You are right Yildiz, thank you. I really can't find the light I want or the angle I want to shoot the landscape, but I can tell my model where to stand and where to go, so that I can play with light.

In this case it is so difficult for me. I shoot a lot and don't like any of my landscape photos. And I think to myself, this is not for me, not for me:)
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Anne_LilyofTheValley wrote:I shoot a lot and don't like any of my landscape photos. And I think to myself, this is not for me, not for me:)
Perhaps your landscape photos do not look like what you are attempting to achieve, but that does not mean that they are not good images on an absolute scale.

Personally, I think that they are quite satisfactory, especially for someone with your level of experience. In some ways, your landscape images remind me of Bruegal paintings or the landscapes of Vermeer. (From me this is definitely a compliment, as I have a print of a Vermeer harbor scene on the wall of my home.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Shooting landscape does place you almost entirely at the mercy of the weather, time of year, etc. to find good lighting.

At least in my experience, it's a bit more opportunistic -- instead of deciding exactly what you want and forcing that to happen, it's a lot more about picking a time when the light is nice, and finding the subjects that happen to be nicely lit at that time. To a limited degree, greater experience does lead to more control though. It's still not really control over the lighting, but you control where you go and when you go there, to maximize your chances of finding particularly nice light on interesting subjects.

I haven't had time lately, but used to keep a notebook where I tried to track (reasonably) specific times to visit particular locations (e.g., wanting to go to a particular valley a few hours before sunset close to mid-winter so the sun would well low in the sky to the south-west).

The three shots you've posted above all look like they were taken at least fairly close to the middle of the day in "nice" weather. Although it may initially seem like the obvious time to take pictures, I (for one) find it relatively difficult to get really satisfying pictures under those conditions. Simply taking pictures at other times often gives much better results. Three obvious possibilities are right around sunrise and sunset, and immediately after a storm. you obviously don't have to restrict yourself to shooting at those times, but I think it's worth giving some of them a try.
Anne_LilyofTheValley
Oligarch

Thank you Tom and Jcoffin for your excellent advice. I hope that I'll be able to find the light I want and season I want to capture beauty of my country.