Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Unread post by Birma »

Worcester weather: Grey Cloud, heavy rain, 14°C, 14mph East South Easterly, Humidity 100%, Visibility Good, Pressure 992mb Falling.

Went for an exploratory walk today to check out some new locations. It was very, very wet out. I came back wet through. I took a couple of pictures just to justify lugging the kit about.

2012 Uffmoor - wet wood path by Birm, on Flickr

2012 Uffmoor - woodland brook by Birm, on Flickr

Both with A700 and CZ 16-80. I can heartily recommend the free shower caps from hotel rooms for keeping kit dry in damp conditions :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Things do indeed look very damp Birma but also very lush, I can’t believe you went out and got very wet in 14°C that is dedication for sure. :shock:
Overnight temp here still around 11°C ish with clear winter sky, and the Cumquat tree needs picking…again. :roll:
Greg

KM5D KM18-200
PICT2035.jpg
PICT2035.jpg (212.54 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Looks like the scenery here at the moment Birma. Although the sun is shining and it's mildly cloudy, rain isn't far away these days.

Greg, I would almost forget it's winter south of the equator with these Kumquat growing on the trees. I have to admit never to have heard of a Kumquat before, had to look it up on Wikipedia ;-)

Mark

Mark
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Mark, those Cumquats are like a miniature orange but a little more tang in the flavour, they make lovely marmalade jam, the main problem most of the time is bottles to put it in.
Greg
A100 KM18-200
DSC03967.jpg
DSC03967.jpg (189.09 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Yummy - looks like you are well sorted for marmalade Greg :) . What's your exchange rate for scones?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha ha good one Birma, got any empty bottles?
Greg
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Well, let's see if posting will work for me. I gave up a few months ago, after weeks of getting error messages every time I tried to post, but perhaps perseverance will win the day. This one isn't entirely about weather, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it either.

A900, 28/2.8 @ 1/500th, f/9.

I don't quite have the heart to give this one a title. All I can think of is to paraphrase (mangle?) a line from Star Wars: "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million trees cried out, and then died."

For whatever it's worth, the weather is extremely hot and dry. Roughly 100 degree F (nearly 40C) and around 7% relative humidity.

Oh, I apologize for posting a somewhat depressing picture to a thread that's been quite cheerful for a while.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

A disturbance in the force sounds a good description jcoffin, I saw on the news here there have been some bad wildfires over there already, wow only 7% H that would make things tinder dry for sure.
It's been wall to wall kludge here for days, cool and overcast and drizzle, I thought that stuff belonged in England or such; we usually get clear sky and sunshine in winter. (I haven't even bothered to take a picture outside in it).
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very dramatic picture jcoffin - I'm glad your back able to post :)

I'm going through a dry patch in that I haven't picked the camera up for days :( . Thankfully there are always some interesting shots around here to keep the interest going.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Thanks for the kind words Greg and Birma. Last night, I really couldn't take much of a picture -- the smoke cloud was surrounding us enough to make pictures essentially impossible. This morning things had settled down a little, so most of the day the first looked roughly like this:

About 4 PM (1600), some clouds rolled in, and apparently rained on at least part of the fire. This seems to have slowed the first down a fair amount and washed a lot of the smoke/ash out of the air, so it looked more like this:

Tonight is cooler, a bit more humid, and seems to be quite a bit less windy. Last night, it was windy enough (65MPH winds) that the helicopters were grounded (and the fire was growing quickly). Tonight the wind seems to have died down quite a bit -- the smoke plumes seem to be rising nearly straight up, and nearly every time I look, I see aircraft over/near the fire.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great, dramatic pictures Jcoffin :)
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Today in St. Louis 108f/42c. This beat the old record on this day by 4 degrees, 61 years later.

It will only be 101F/38C for the outdoor wedding I'm shooting Sat!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yeah wow I saw the news last nite, the fires are all over the place now, people being told to leave their homes because they can't stop the firestorm, hundreds of homes destroyed...terrible.
Greg
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Well, thankfully, the situation is much calmer now. Spread of the fire has been minimal for a while now, and a fair number of people are being allowed back into neighborhoods that had been evacuated. On the other hand, they're saying 347 homes (well, a few other buildings as well, but mostly homes) have been destroyed. I hate to think of how many people's irreplaceable family pictures are gone forever.

On a somewhat brighter note, the weather is rather nicer today. Partly cloudy, and quite a bit cooler (~90F/32C). Most of the day, the air has been pretty clear, but the wind just shifted a bit, so right here it's pretty hazy at the moment.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

The image isn't very good as a photo, but it shows exactly what I saw when I looked outside my attic window about 10 minutes ago... spectacular!