Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

No snow covered hills Yildiz, oh well there might be more snow on the way, not too worry at 1degree anything is possible, there’ll probably be some Eskimos paddling up the strait soon. Those are all great, all different; I like the little puffs everywhere especially prominent in the last one over the water and on the Hagia Sophia ridge…cool.
Thanks for the warning about the glare; I nearly had too put my sunnies on ha ha, if I had a pair that is, nice catch though with those slanting rays coming down with the golden light and some neat bifs, it’s up there with your best I reckon.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Yildiz the second shot is stunning, forget about the glare, it adds more warmth.
Thank you, Dr. Harout. : )

I'll try the forgetting part. Little impurities make for humanistic warmth as you say.

mvanrheenen wrote:Doc is right, beautiful colors and light! Flare isn't a problem in this image, it's a feature! Truly stunning Yildiz, well done!
Thank you, Mark. : )

You know how we are all. We compare some of the best lenses against eachother so endlessly that we end up start thinking flare might be one of the worst things to happen to a photo frame. As you say, it can also be the conquering feature at times... : ))
Greg Beetham wrote:No snow covered hills Yildiz, oh well there might be more snow on the way, not too worry at 1degree anything is possible, there’ll probably be some Eskimos paddling up the strait soon. Those are all great, all different; I like the little puffs everywhere especially prominent in the last one over the water and on the Hagia Sophia ridge…cool.
Thanks for the warning about the glare; I nearly had too put my sunnies on ha ha, if I had a pair that is, nice catch though with those slanting rays coming down with the golden light and some neat bifs, it’s up there with your best I reckon.
Greg
Glad you didn't cause any damage to the retina, Greg. : )) Who'd stargaze and pick the constellations out of the most chaotic spatial frames otherwise? : )

Thank you for the intricately detailed description of your observations on the shots. You pretty much summerized all the qualities I took the shots for.. :)

I hope I live to see the event of the Eskimo marching down the strait's icy surface or paddling their canoes to break the surface ice to meet us on these shores...Do you know that it wouldn't be so far off a chance to happen because it did happen once in the past and everyone crossed the Bosphorus strait on foot.

Here's a photo from that day.

Yildiz

On 24 February 1954 Bosphorus was covered with ice.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Stunning morning shots Yildiz - love the change in colour. A fabulous picture from the archives as well. There is hardly any special precaution against the cold - just hands in pockets! The residents of Istanbul are a hardy lot :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I’m amazed at the frozen Bosphorus as well, what seems to be rather adventurous is the people are standing on ice that looks broken up too me, I can see water here and there and I bet it wouldn’t be warm if one should accidentally slip and fall in.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A high pressure are over the southern UK drawing in cold air from the Contient has given us 4 days of clear, but chilly weather - no complaints from me though - fabulous light. Not taken today, but the weather has been similar her since Friday.

2012 Powick - Teme Teasel by Birm, on Flickr

2012 Powick - Teme Dawn by Birm, on Flickr

Both taken before the sun was up, with a heavy frost. Nex 5 with SEL 16mm, one of my favourite combos at the moment.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A couple more from Saturday.

Sun just coming up, looking North.

2012 Powick - Bend in the River by Birm, on Flickr

Sun well up.

2012 Powick - Morning Stump by Birm, on Flickr

Nex 5 with SEL 16mm.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Very nice Birma! I can't even pick one as particularly better than the others -- all four are gorgeous.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Great work Birma, lovely dawn scenes. That looks seriously cold there with all that frost everywhere. It’s not easy but I like those frozen stalks (teasels?) and the predawn atmosphere in the first one or is the second one better with the more dominant stark trees, hmmm I can’t decide so I’ll pick both. :D
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Another fine Sprinter day in St. Louis. Highs will be 17C/62F and then tomorrow it will get back down to -8C/18F! As we say in St. Louis, - "If you don't like the weather, stick around for a few hours, it'll change!"

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

That's a big change Dusty - tricky to decide what to put on in the morning I expect :lol: .

Thanks Jcoffin and Greg :) . It was about -4.5 degrees C when I started Greg, and a balmy -1.5 when I finished :D . The light was really nice before the sun came up. With sunrise not until 8.20am it is not too difficult to get to a location in plenty of time in the winter. You're right, the frozen stalks are Teasels - I am a complete sucker for these (a relatively common 'weed'). Goldfinches are supposed to love the seeds from the heads, but I think the seeds are mostly gone by January.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Kaf minus kaf 4.5 degrees :shock: Birma you must love that brisk morning air LOTS, we should have a pca award for photographic bravery, for service above and beyond, that sort of thing. :D
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Greg Beetham wrote:Kaf minus kaf 4.5 degrees :shock: Birma you must love that brisk morning air LOTS, we should have a pca award for photographic bravery, for service above and beyond, that sort of thing. :D
Greg
:) This is were carrying a heavy tripod and too much other gear helps - keeps you nice and warm puffing along the footpath! I'm sure Zeb, Dusty or the Canadian forum members have much colder days than this. Just a couple of layers, big coat, and wooly hat and I never felt cold once, other than my finger tips. I have to recommend Barbour neoprene shooting gloves. They are designed for a different type of shooting, but are very warm, have great grip, work in the wet, and allow you to use thumb and two finger tips out-side of the glove for fine control. My pair has been going strong for over 10 years.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Today was a chilly day over here. Although cold, it was beautiful weather.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

It looks cold with you as well Mark - I like the second one especially, with the curve of the river (canal?).
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Thanks Birma. I like yours as well. Looks like we've got the same kind of weather going on. It actually was pretty cold after a night long frost last night. The colors in both images are rather pale, but this is actually how the landscape looks when a layer of frost is covering the land.

The water is actually just a wide ditch which branches off to divide the farmlands your see on the right of the image.

Mark