Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Thanks Birma.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Like blue tules in the wind...

Lovely shots, JBTaylor.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Thank you, Issac! Hurricane Issac (or it's residual effects) is supposed to drop a couple of inches of rain on us this weekend. We had just a smattering last Sunday night and monday, just enough to keep the grass from breaking (yes, it's really that dry!), but this rain should soak the ground fairly well.

It's too late for the crops, but at least I can get some relief on may water bill - I've only been watering trees and a few flowers and got a 3 month water bill of $300!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I Hear the Sound of Abundance of Rain (I Kings 18:41)

Woke up to a dreary, drizzling, day and I loved it, after our long drought. Now however, the skies have just opened up, and I hear the rain pounding down on the metal roof of our building.

The remains of Hurricane Issac have moved into the area and should give us some steady rain until Saturday. Just loving it, even if it makes my weekend soggy!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Beautiful cloudscapes JBT!
Dusty- I'm glad to see that Isaac has brought some relief to you after the drought.
John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Glad you're only getting the rain part of Hurricane Isaac, Dusty. : )

We had some nice rainy days also and the temperatures are at a conforting low...though not too low. 23 C at the moment and expecting a 29 C high at the most.

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Weather In Istanbul:
Scattered Clouds
Temperature:22 °C ; Feels Like 22 °C
Wind(km/h):18
--------------------------------------------------------

A sunny start to the day in Istanbul....

Yildiz
SunnyMorning-Istanbul.jpg
(196.49 KiB) Downloaded 2147 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That looks nice and sunny Yildiz even with the threatening clouds, it looks good enough for one of your photographic walks maybe (with a brolly). There’s a TV channel here that plays a lot of European movies late at night with subtitles for people like me, (but I like most of them even so) and one the other night (The Edge of Heaven) had quite a bit of Istanbul in it which I was watching intently in case I saw your neighbourhood, (but I don’t think so), bit of a tragic plot though, too many accidental deaths.
Greg
Townsville weather: not too cold at night 15°C-ish and not too hot in the day 25°C-ish no rain but a bit windy.
Plugging the last gap in the bridge. A700 KM28-75
DSC04091.jpg
DSC04091.jpg (204.38 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, : )

Yes, Edge of Heaven by the director Fatih Akin (a rising Turkish film director) is a bit on the bitter side. Most of his movies are a bit like that...He's an award winner though.

Your bridge is almost complete! :D An exciting moment to capture... Just in time. I think this is pretty fast seeing how you used to complain that it was slow in progress.

I wonder where David Antony is? He certainly wouldn't want to miss this moment. : ) Must be very busy somewhere ...or taking photos of snow owls on his way to work and back. :D

Thanks for sharing, Greg.

Yildiz
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

aster wrote:A sunny start to the day in Istanbul....

Yildiz
Yildiz, I always enjoy your photos of Istanbul, but for me the lighting of this picture makes it an exceptional image of the subject.

(Actually, I enjoy all of your photos, regardless of the subject, but it's not entirely fair to compare the lighting of this picture with that of a very different subject.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Yildiz and thanks, :D
I suddenly realized that we haven’t heard from DA for a while when you mentioned it so I sent him a note on his private email to see if he’s ok.
Regards
Greg
The sun was on the other side of the bridge when I took the first shot so I went around the other side on the same day to get one from that direction as well, but the angle isn’t quite as good from that direction.
DSC04094.jpg
DSC04094.jpg (219.75 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
There were a couple of Jabiru’s along a bit further too, (the photo isn’t good enough to post in the bird thread as I couldn’t get any closer) I haven’t seen those this close to town before so it’s a rare sighting for me.
DSC04103.jpg
DSC04103.jpg (86.03 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

UrsaMajor wrote:
aster wrote:A sunny start to the day in Istanbul....

Yildiz
Yildiz, I always enjoy your photos of Istanbul, but for me the lighting of this picture makes it an exceptional image of the subject.

(Actually, I enjoy all of your photos, regardless of the subject, but it's not entirely fair to compare the lighting of this picture with that of a very different subject.)

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Thank you, Tom. : )

The lighting was exceptional for a moment as you say. The clouds parted and allowed for the light to fall on the historical peninsula. I'm glad I was there to see it.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for sending a private message to David Antony. Hopefully he will see it. : ))

I think I like the first bridge shot better for revealing more of the construction phase.
I loved the Jabirus. Never seen them around these parts. ThiS photo can easily be in the Birds' thread. I think there's sufficient detail and composition to linK the photo there as well. : )

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great weather shots as always :) . Beautiful costal scenes from Yildiz and Greg of quite diffrent scenes.

Great to see that bridge really taking shape Greg. I hope we can look forward to a video of the first trip across the bridge by bicycle ;) ?

I haven't taken any (proper) pictures for some weeks and I have only been popping by the forum for the occasional check-in to see what is going on. Just work and family life getting in the way of photos :) . Tilly started school this week which was very exciting (and quite nerve-wracking for Dad!), and work has been very busy. Perhaps the weather moving to autumn will provide some inspiration? Oh, I nearly forgot, I got a LA-EA2 adapter which works very nicely for AFing my A mount lenses on the Nex 5, but only test shots so far.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Yildiz- That is a great shot of the peninsula in Istanbul. The light shining on the Mosque and its surroundings, with the bluish clouds above is striking indeed.
Greg- I'm enjoying watching that bridge go up, large construction are fascinating watch develop over time.
Here in McKinney we had a delivery of the non-human sort, our new bi-plane cath lab suite. This will expand our abilities to image the body, and add a number of new procedures to our capabilities.
http://www.swmedicalcenter.org/biplaneimages
The link talks about mainly neuro uses of biplane, but ours will be mostly for cardiac and peripheral.
The weather was just about perfect.
#1 Coming off the truck.
9585.jpg
(172.38 KiB) Downloaded 2097 times
#2 Winching down to the doorway.
9598.jpg
(180.16 KiB) Downloaded 2097 times
#3 Tight fit!
9617.jpg
(168.46 KiB) Downloaded 2097 times
That is only one half of the bi-plane unit, the other part is smaller, and was much less dramatic going through the door.
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Weather In Istanbul:
Scattered Clouds
Temperature:26 °C ; Feels Like 26 °C
Wind(km/h):28
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks Birma and John. : )

So Tilly starts school! How exciting for daddy. : ))

John, I always was curious as to how those machinery and equipment were installed in the hospital buildings. They certainly have to go through tight openings. I usually thought that there were hangar-like gates that helped get them inside the structures... Apparently not so.

Thanks for sharing. : )

Going by construction photos and equipment, I visited the university today, only to find that the whole structure is stripped inside so that the necessary reinforcement could me made to all of the structural elements. All these are as a precaution against a probable Istanbul earthquake since the university is on the edge of Marmara Sea where the next Istanbul earthquake is predidcted to be.

Here are a few shots from my visit. I also found a couple of ducks on my way as I was walking on the streets. : )
OverlookingTheMarmaraSea.jpg
(170.94 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times
Reinforcement 1.jpg
(236.86 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times
ReinforcementForQuakes.jpg
(219.16 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times
OnTheStreet.jpg
(216.28 KiB) Downloaded 2083 times