Birds 2012

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
DennisG

Re: Birds 2012

Unread post by DennisG »

Also found some seabirds now that the ice is gone from the lake.

crested grebe ( i think )
DSC00075.jpg
DSC00075.jpg (239.68 KiB) Viewed 4563 times

This mallard couple just swam out from under the bridge where i was standing looking at the birds above.
DSC00057.jpg
DSC00057.jpg (241.75 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi Dennis,

Great images again! The first is definately an Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) and my favorite image of the lot. The second one is indeed a Nuthatch, an Eurasian Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) to be precise.

@Birma: you cought that gull at the right moment in flight. Good composition too.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Mark and Yildiz.

Yildiz, I think the autofocus is quicker on the A700 with Sigma, than the Nex with SEL 55-200, which were my two options. I also find it easier to hold the camera to me eye for the seagull type of shot - although I have rarely tried this sort of thing.

Nice bird shots Dennis - I especially like the yellow-hammer and the mallards.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dennis, what a neat series of neat birds. :)

They are very lovely, no doubt about that but I found the Nuthatch to be a cute funny bird in your shots. Clutching the bark of the tree upside down and all.
Like the Yellowhammer and the Starling also. Though behind a couple of branches, you have capturd the lovely colours of their plummage nicely.

In the second set of couples in swim the Crested grebe couple are most interesting. I hope the Mallards don't mind...

Thank you for sharing,

Yildiz
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Well, I'm not that much of a bird shooter but this Easter I really got me a treat. I have never before experienced something like this in the wild, to be able to see such a beautiful bird up close from only a few meters distance :D
Kudos to all of you who spend hours in forests and around lakes to get such wonderful shots. I simply had the fortune to have my father in law spot the bird and guide me to the right place and within about 30 minutes or so the magnificent bird appeared, trying to tell us to leave his domains :)

Tetrao urogallus by Thorstensson, on Flickr

BR,
/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
mvanrheenen

Sweet bird and ditto image, Zeb! You have more talent than you give yourself credit for!

Mark
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

When life treats right, it indeed treats just right! :D

Hi Sebastian,

There's almost everything imaginable to make this fantastic bird shot a success: extraordinary plummage, all sorts of counter-acting colours, an interesting eyelid, carriage of the body with pride... : ) And the shades of Nightblue, so extraordinary.

Such birds must be the initiating inspiration of Venetian masks that we see in Venice at present.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well done to your father-in-law Zeb :D Wonderful shot.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

Fantastic shot Zeb!
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
Argonaut
Oligarch

Back to Tanzania for some smaller birds taken from the car. Coursers are mainly nocturnal/crepuscular (note the large eyes) and if you find them in daytime they're just sort of hanging around. This one is on the Red List. Sigma 400, 1/2000, f16, ISO 1600.

The larks are really difficult to tell apart, but this one is quite common and sings a lot, so the call is used for i.d. Sigma 400, 1/2000, f16, ISO 1600.

The Speckle-fronted Weaver reminds me that our House Sparrow is a weaver finch too. They certainly look like cousins, but this one is prettier and somehow manages to exist without access to McDonald's fries. Sigma 400, 1/2000, f5.6, ISO 400.

Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Zeb and Argonaut, bravo!
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
DennisG

Unread post by DennisG »

walked down to the lake this afternoon and found that allot more of birds had arrived.

DSC00500.jpg
DSC00500.jpg (163.91 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
DSC00581.jpg
DSC00581.jpg (162.44 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
DSC00600.jpg
DSC00600.jpg (197.4 KiB) Viewed 4480 times
DennisG

Unread post by DennisG »

And on the way home (200m) this pigeon landed in the hedge 2-3 meters from me wanting hes picture taken :)
DSC00638.jpg
DSC00638.jpg (228.93 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
DSC00646.jpg
DSC00646.jpg (238.61 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
mvanrheenen

Hi Argonaut, the lark looks so fragile because the balance between length and "meat" is off :) The bokeh on the Weaver shot real smooth. I always have trouble composing images of birds with a pleasant background. Great job.

Those are some good birds in flight Dennis. Getting good bird shots at big lakes can be quite the challenge. Birds can see you from afar if the lake doesn't have much growth on the banks. Also, if your out of luck, the birds are all cluttered on the other side and your in for a walk. Also, herons are especially cautious. The mallards and geese are often more docile. Everybody likes pigeons, they tend to look a little dumb and move sluggish. They remind me of clowns :)

Thanks for sharing both!

I had a little time to process some bird shots I made at the butterfly garden last Monday. All birds were shot in captivity.

#1 - German Roller Canary

As I mentioned before, I don't like animals created by man. I however couldn't ignore this very pretty bird. The German Roller Canary is bred by man and isn't found in the wild. I had the opportunity to come really close and I think this is one of my best shots to date.

#2 - Zebrafinch (Taeniopygia guttata)

Common to Central Australia. Maybe the image is a bit overexposed, but didn't get it right no matter what I did. Oh well.

#3 - Diamond Dove (Geopelia cuneata)

Also an Australian native. Very cute and funny little birds these!

#4 - Golden Pheasant (Chrysolophus pictus)

One of the most beautiful colored birds I've ever seen in the flesh. Very calm bird. Native of the mountains of western China.

Mark
Argonaut
Oligarch

Mark - the bokeh in my shots is not planned. There usually isn't time. However, when a bird is close to you, the background is usually so defocused that it disappears except for its color. And of course if I can choose among similar shots, I'll look at the bokeh. But, my planning is limited to (devoted to?) getting the bird sharp and, if possible, doing something interesting.

You said the Zebra Finch was overexposed and you couldn't do anything about it. Do you shoot RAW or JPG? I shoot RAW particularly because it allows me to fix that kind of problem. Again, when you're shooting birds you have to work fast and no matter what kind of metering you use, there will be times when you don't get best exposure. RAW can fix 90% of my misses that way.

Argonaut