Birds 2012

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
johna901
Acolyte

Re: Birds 2012

Unread post by johna901 »

As mentioned earlier, I'm looking forward to shooting bird photos with my 70-400G lens on my NEX 5n. Because the weather is still unsuitable, I've done a comparison of that lens with A700 and NEX 5n bodies. The model bird is about the same size as a real goldcrest or firecrest (Britain's smallest birds) and I have stuck some real feathers on the base. All conditions identical except for swapping bodies. ISO 3200, No NR applied. This bird was much more obliging than others I have tried to photograph.
JohnA
Attachments
bird test shot-A700.jpg
bird test shot-A700.jpg (246.73 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
bird test shot-NEX 5n.jpg
bird test shot-NEX 5n.jpg (212.5 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Nice example of what the 5N can do, John! Do you use the EA-LA2 adaptor? If so, how does it focus the 70-400G and what about the batterydrain? I can imagine your battery will not last that long.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Mark
thanks for the comments.

re the first photo, there are a number of factors in play there - it was my first week with the a77, iso was 1250 (this shot was taken in the middle of a series of action shots requiring higher shutter speeds) and I was forced to install and process the images in lightroom at the time as my preferred raw processor didn't support the a77 so it was a bit of a steep learning curve all round that day. If I get a chance I'll reprocess the image in my new software and see if it looks better.

regards
Scott
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
mvanrheenen

Hi Scott,

I can imagine it being somewhat hectic in those circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I like the image very much! It's a beautifull bird and you picked a very nice composition and angle to capture the moment! Nice details in the plumage too!

Mark
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Mark - I appreciate the critique.. I remember thinking at the time that when my software supported the a77, I'd reprocess my early shots but of course, I never quite got around to it :-)

pixel peeping on my monitor, the original raw did indeed have a lot of red speckles coming through across the shot. To my eyes, the new one has a better balance between NR and detail - the red noise appears to have gone (certainly at 1:1). I've also tweaked the exposure / saturation / crop a little to emphasise the subject (bird) a bit more.
What do you think? Better / Worse / or just 'different' to the last version?

Scott
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
mvanrheenen

DrScottNicol wrote:Mark - I appreciate the critique.. I remember thinking at the time that when my software supported the a77, I'd reprocess my early shots but of course, I never quite got around to it :-)
Oh yes, I know that feeling! I have a bunch of "soon" to be reprocessed images too. I can tell you one thing: never gonna happen! :lol:
DrScottNicol wrote:Image

pixel peeping on my monitor, the original raw did indeed have a lot of red speckles coming through across the shot. To my eyes, the new one has a better balance between NR and detail - the red noise appears to have gone (certainly at 1:1). I've also tweaked the exposure / saturation / crop a little to emphasise the subject (bird) a bit more.
What do you think? Better / Worse / or just 'different' to the last version?

Scott
Background isn't a distraction anymore, it's much smoother this way! The crop does help with this. Didn't notice in your original image, but you can now clearly see the original was a tad too cool in color. Look at the beak and you see what I mean. The second image has a more warm and friendly feel to it. I think the plumage of this beautifull bird is more natural in color this way, although maybe a tad to yellow. This could very well be the result of the monitor here at the office. I like the processed image a lot. Thank you very much for reposting! I learned a new thing today thanks to you :-)

Mark
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Scott, you should settle for something in between. The second one (processed with your beloved software) is too contrasty, so in this matter the first wins. Noise wise... definitely the second. Anyway, I can say that you are a keen bird shooter (photographer, I mean)...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

BTW, should we post shots of birds made in 2012 or that doesn't matter?

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting comparion JohnA - which adapter were you using? Would the A700 have any advantage in terms of continuous AF?

Scott - definitely prefer the second image - even the leather glove pops off the monitor here :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

Dr. Harout wrote:BTW, should we post shots of birds made in 2012 or that doesn't matter?
Hi Doc, please post the shots you want, even older ones!

Cheers,

Mark
johna901
Acolyte

Unread post by johna901 »

Re. comments on my fake bird comparison shots, it was the LA-EA2 adaptor, and yes battery drain is heavy. Also focus needs better light than it does with the A700/70-400 combo. Nevertheless, the NEX 5n/LA-EA2/70-400 combo seemed to capture the real feather detail better. The shutter speeds were not idential: 1/500 on the A700 and 1/320 on the 5n. This is no doubt because the "translucent mirror" in the adaptor diverted some of the light.
John A
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
Dr. Harout

White stork couple:
#1 - I love you my froggy (storks do not eat honey :wink: )

#2 - Did I tell you how much I love your neck ( :roll: )

#3 - Stop beak-ing me, I'm hungry

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

mvanrheenen wrote:Another photographer who has morbid ideas about how to capture the essence of life as a bird. First Scott with the dove on the parking lot, now fried chicken! What is this world coming to?! :lol:
It must be noted that Audubon did his paintings of birds by killing them and then mounting them. So we're much better today!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dr. Harout

#4 - OK, OK in a moment

#5 - Off I fly

#6 - and now she waits

#7 - Hey, you with the SAL75300, can't you get yourself a decent 70-300 G SSM?

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Dusty, you ruined my story... :evil:

Flickr