Birds 2012

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Birds 2012

Unread post by Dusty »

Sorry 'bout that, Doc. It's just the vagaries of posting times!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice series Doc - I think the SAL 75-300 was doing pretty good :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Very nice Kestrel shot Scott.

Those are great shots of the Storks Doc, there doesn’t seem too much wrong with that lens.
Greg
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Dusty wrote:It must be noted that Audubon did his paintings of birds by killing them and then mounting them. So we're much better today!

Dusty
That knowledge was hidden somewhere deep in my memory. I've read that before, when Google had a doodle for Audubon some time ago. Maybe I'm too much of a moralist (is that even a word in English?) to just condone the destruction of nature. You don't kill your fellow human being, so why do you have no problems killing an animal? Enough about that, don't want to be known as a preacher of morale around here :-) Normally I'm not, except for this touchy subject ;-)

@Doc: beautiful storks you've photographed there! Nice story too :D

Mark
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Some lovely detail coming through in those Stork shots Doctor H - great stuff.
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:What lens was that Henry...sheesh you gotta provide details when you shoot bird photos. ha ha good one...
I was driving on a road in Florida when I saw this sign. There was traffic and no place or time to stop so I rolled the car window down as I was driving, pointed the Canon A590IS out the window and pointing in the general direction of the sign, and as I drove by I clicked the shutter. I could barely even pay attention to taking the photo because I had to drive and watch the car in front of me. :lol:

Here's a Roadrunner in New Mexico at the end of the day:

Okay, I will next post some real birds. :lol:
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Meeb, meeb!

Nice catch Henry :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Aw Henry I was just getting used too your interpretation of bird photography :D
I wonder if those houses over in the distance are in any danger from the drive by shooting at things (with guns) brigade? After all I notice the road runner looks a little the worse for wear, but it might just be from weathering of course.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Aw Henry I was just getting used too your interpretation of bird photography :D
There are other interpretations that could be made, but this post will have some conventional birds. :lol:
Greg Beetham wrote: I wonder if those houses over in the distance are in any danger from the drive by shooting at things (with guns) brigade? After all I notice the road runner looks a little the worse for wear, but it might just be from weathering of course.
It's actually a big metal sculpture on a hill outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico. I have seen it several times since we pass through that way from time to time. It appears to be in good condition, it is just the style of the sculpture -- I don't think it has any bullet holes in it. :)

Here are a couple in Florida:

Here are a couple in Wyoming:

mvanrheenen

Nice captures Henry. That last one looks like the legendary Smurf-bird :lol:
johna901
Acolyte

Unread post by johna901 »

Re. my fake bird comparison of A700 and NEX 5n bodies on 70-400G lens, I don't want to mislead anyone, so have repeated the comparison in good daylight (ISO 200 instead of IS0 3200). The difference is much less marked than before, though I still prefer the result from the 5n/LA-EA2 combo (attached). Will try for some real birds next.
John A.
Attachments
Bird test shot 2nd set-5n.jpg
Bird test shot 2nd set-5n.jpg (215.84 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Mark and every and other gentleman who's been posting great variety of bird shots to this thread... :D

Mark;

A special thanks for starting the 2012 with a huge workload of bird shots! :D I love all your shots and I'd like to take them home with me if you don't mind, since that kind of colourful variety is almost non-existent here at the moment.

I like Dr. Harouts 'Family Guy' kind of Storks' story. : )) Nice and sharp shots too.

The steel bird by Bakubo is spectacular. It reminds me of a fast-running desert bird but can't name it right now. : ) Henry, good to see you around.

I love each and every photo here,... even if the subject line kind of detoured from the actual ones that have warm blood streaming in their veins and can actually make sounds. : )

Keep sending,

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Hi Yildiz,

Thank you for the great compliment! I'll definately keep shooting and posting!

@John: I'll be very interested in your finding from the field. Don't you think the small body will make it hard to handle the lens, body, tripod combo?

Mark
johna901
Acolyte

Unread post by johna901 »

Thank you Mark,
I don't find the small body/big lens combo. hard to handle. The lens attaches to the tripod and the body sits on the back like a rear lens cap!
John A.
Attachments
NEX 5n on 70-400G.jpg
NEX 5n on 70-400G.jpg (196.48 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
A700, NEX5n, too many lenses.
mvanrheenen

Hi John,

Maybe you are right. The Nex 5n has a bigger grip than the Nex 3. Maybe that's what makes it awkward for me.

Today, the missus suggested going out for a walk by a small lake near here. I tried to sneak my gear with me, but she caught me. It's difficult to hide your bag from an all seeing eye :-P. Fortunately, she doesn't mind. Didn't see that much non-water birds. Somehow, I don't like ducks and geese that much as a subject for photography. Did manage to find a few beautiful herons and a buzzard.

#1 - Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)

This one was just enjoying the sun (yes, we had a bit of sun today!). I watched it for more than 15 minutes from up close. Wasn't afraid at all, until a dog walked by.

#2 - Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)

Another beautiful bird. I like this picture very much. He or she's a real beauty!

#3 - Common buzzard (Buteo buteo)

There were 2 Common buzzard hunting together. Fortunately, one turned into the sun and this is the result. Not the sharpest image, but you still can see the beautiful markings of the plumage.

I'm a lucky bastard. The missus doesn't mind me going out tomorrow again. So, if the weather will let me, I'll post some more from my "hunt" tomorrow. I'll be on the look out for some Goldcrests (Regulus regulus) I saw a few weeks ago. The light didn't help me then, so this was the best I could manage with flash:

Mark