Birds 2012

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

Re: Birds 2012

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

DrScottNicol wrote:
mvanrheenen wrote:
@DrScottNicol: nice shots, although I hope you're kidding about the dead pigeon being more your style. Did you take the phrase "bird shooting" a bit to litteral maybe? :lol: Just kidding. Nice shots!
I feel that stunning / chloroforming your subject is a legitimate and under appreciated photographic technique.. although admittedly I find its less popular when I try it with people in studio portraits / urban street scenes :-) :-)
I don't get that. You should think people would be less anxious for a photo shoot if they know they won't notice a thing, just like with the dentist :lol:

On a side note, there are a few rogue macro photographers who use freezing techniques on their insectoid subjects to get a good macro photo. I can't say I approve of those techniques myself, but it is practised by some.

Now, back too bird shooting :-)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice bird shots Scott - I especially like that Coot gazing at its own reflection - great stuff :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Technically these shots are 2011 (30 Dec, Leeds Castle in Kent) and in this case, the birds present a different problem - as soon as they saw me stopping to take a shot they run towards you in the prospect of food, often getting closer than the minimum focussing distance for the lens and then following me as I tried to step back to get them in shot lol.

A77 / Sigma 50-150

Scott
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
mvanrheenen

Wow, the shot of the peacock is really good. The plumage comes out really good, almost metallic (as in real life). Like the other two also, although my eyes don't like the stong light in the duck shot that much.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

mvanrheenen wrote:Wow, the shot of the peacock is really good. The plumage comes out really good, almost metallic (as in real life). Like the other two also, although my eyes don't like the stong light in the duck shot that much.
re peacock, thanks

I know what you mean about the duck shot - I liked the pose 'staring into space' but in that shot the ripples further down were blown out. I had another similar shot with better exposure (more ripples visible filling the space) but in that case, the focus was off.

Scott

mvanrheenen

In these cases, I tend to use a polariser filter to help cancel out the reflections. Bright light also tends to blend out the details along the lines of the subject, although I don't think this is the case in this shot. It does give a smooth silhoutte. Just a thought :-)

Mark
mvanrheenen

Just heard that the government had plans to execute 100.000 geese (!) in our country because the large population is destroying crops. 100.000 geese... I'm dumbfounded by this, really, and not only because I like birds. I'm not religious, but destroying that many creatures of nature is just wrong. Fortunately, a judge ruled against this plan, because it would violate European regulations.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

mvanrheenen wrote:Just heard that the government had plans to execute 100.000 geese (!) in our country because the large population is destroying crops. 100.000 geese... I'm dumbfounded by this, really, and not only because I like birds. I'm not religious, but destroying that many creatures of nature is just wrong. Fortunately, a judge ruled against this plan, because it would violate European regulations.
It sounds like you need more goose hunters over there - where can I sign up?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Mark, no-one here shoots ducks or geese any more - used to be a staple part of the winter diet. I would guess that there are 100,000 too many geese because some very tasty intensive agriculture provided the colony with unlimited free foraging to expand numbers.

As with culls of deer in Scotland, it should not be an emotive issue. Tackling 100,000 at once is quite wrong but licensing a few dozen professional goose hunters, with a proper food processing channel to sell the result, might have controlled numbers over the years.

But a good shot of 100,000 geese feeding on a field would be something to get!

David
mvanrheenen

The plan was to gass the geese, so no luck for hunters. I understand the problem, but 100.000 is mass murder in my book. There must be other, more humane ways to deter the geese from destroying farmland.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Nice pix Scott.

What lens was that Henry...sheesh you gotta provide details when you shoot bird photos. ha ha good one...
Greg
mvanrheenen

Another photographer who has morbid ideas about how to capture the essence of life as a bird. First Scott with the dove on the parking lot, now fried chicken! What is this world coming to?! :lol:

Henry, don't answer Gregs question with anything below 200mm+tc or I'll become really jealous off your birdstalkingskills hahaha! :lol: Nice shot!
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Another example of one of my shots of a bird in its natural environment - in this case perched on a suspiciously hand shaped tree branch :-)

A77 / 70-300 G lens

and some Storks from the same place / day (a regular display at Leeds Castle, Kent) - Storks, I discovered, fly so slowly that even I can track them :-).

Scott

mvanrheenen

Hi Scott,

Very nice images! I like the idea behind the stork silhoutte, well executed! I especially like the last image, good angle and interesting seeing the pray the stork caught.

The first image is good too but although I don't mind noise in my images, this noise seems to be coloured in some way. Look in the top left corner, the noise strikes me as red although the background is green.

Thanks for sharing!

Mark