Dusk sunset (added new image)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Hawk
Oligarch

Dusk sunset (added new image)

Unread post by Hawk »

Today I want to show you just one image taken on my way home from work at end of october. It was very moody dusk sunset. I hope that your displays are at least software calibrated so you can fully enjoy great dynamic range captured in this shot. I intentionally wasn't recovering shadows to keep mood so I apologize if it seems too dark to you.

Last edited by Hawk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisG

Re: Dusk sunset

Unread post by DennisG »

Loved that really nice one :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Not dark at all, Hawk. : )

I like the photo just as it is and it's an exceptional sunset scene indeed.

Thanks for sharing

Yildiz
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Thanks Dennis and Yildiz. I must say I'm a bit disappointed how it looks on IPS display I have in work compared to my S-PVA in home. Too bad that we can show photo to all other people the same way we see it.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very dramatic sunset Hawk. The cloud formation looks really unusual and makes a great contrast to the layers of dark landscape beneath it.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I didn't notice the details on my laptop, but on my main PC LCD screen, it shows everything.
And I am amazed. Very beautiful shot.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hawk wrote:Thanks Dennis and Yildiz. I must say I'm a bit disappointed how it looks on IPS display I have in work compared to my S-PVA in home. Too bad that we can show photo to all other people the same way we see it.
You're completely right, of course. : )

There's always that risk as each person with a computer and screen have different configurations. So far, my laptop screen seems to show all foreground details without any manipulation. I don't see a dark part but less pronounced landscape features quite nicely. No problem here. :D

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Very impressive contrasts and dramatic effect in your image, Hawk. Makes you very tiny looking at it, let alone being there!

Don't know if it's me, but it seems the image shows some compression artifacts seen in the mountains in the back. I'm sure you don't see them in your own output.

Great great image!

Mark
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

Thanks again guys! Glad you like it. Here is wider version of same sunset. Perhaps it looks even more dramatic than previous one.

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Dusk sunset (added new image)

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It certainly was a sunset worth stopping and recording Hawk, good one. I have my LCD monitor set by the onboard ‘Auto’ adjustment method trusting that it will get most things right and I don’t have any problems seeing the foreground at least, it does look suitably dull but that’s just like when I take some goofy photo here sometimes at nearly twilight to try and show the current weather conditions before I go upstairs for the evening, so I don’t mind if it’s dull looking because that’s how it was in real life.
Greg
Ps The last is good too but I still like the first one best.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Dusk sunset (added new image)

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Hawk - I too like the second picture, but for me it doesn't have the same impact of the all orange sky in the first.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.