Fishing for fish

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Fishing for fish

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:That's a cracking shot Doc :D. Great action. I guess we will not see many hand cast nets in this thread.
Not nearly as good as Doc's photo, but here is someone casting a net in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam:

Another guy fishing with a net in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lovely ethnic fishing styles ... : )

Dr. Harout and Henry, I like the last shots the best myself so far. Anything men do by hand like the early times look more interesting, probably because of the extra effort involved.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

:D As I was typing that bit about hand fishing with nets I was thinking - I bet Henry will have some examples of this.

I especially like the first one Henry. Just like in the Doc's shot, you've caught that action moment as the net flies out - another great shot.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Unread post by Jasper_D »

Greg Beetham wrote: Just a scene from the prawn trawler warf area.
I keep looking at that shot Greg, a great one!
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Unread post by Jasper_D »

Birma wrote:Nice shots Doc, I especially like the second one :)
Seconded! :)
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wow, I'm flattered... :oops:
Thank you all.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Birma and Jasper_D for your kind comments, we are having gloomy weather here, overcast and raining or drizzling day and night for the last week and a half, the wet season/monsoon finally arrived and I have been suitably gloomy as well with very little photographic activity.
Henry for what it's worth (not much) that ‘barracuda’ http://www.google.com.au/search?q=barra ... 3&bih=1062 looks more like what we call a Long-Tom, http://www.google.com.au/search?q=longt ... 3&bih=1062 sort of like a heavy duty Garfish; I caught a very large Barracuda once while trolling and you can easily spot the difference (the bottom jaw is heavier and protrudes out further than the top jaw) once you can pluck up the nerve to try and untangle your expensive lure (what’s left of it) out from in between the laughing gear…while it’s still alive so it can be released, they aren’t any good to eat, tough, dry, tasteless and full of worms.
Docs shot of cast netting is definitely a good one but Henry that first shot of yours is a great capture of casting a cast net, I doubt many people know how difficult it is to cast one and spread it with a full spread and get it to go where you aim it, and the guy in your photo is doing it with obstacles all around. My brother is good with a cast net also, better than me anyway.
Greg
KM5D KM24-105?
_ICT0651.jpg
_ICT0651.jpg (215.77 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
_ICT0652.jpg
_ICT0652.jpg (237.33 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Good cast net exercising there, Greg : )

I suppose that later the net rewarded you with some nice fish? Your brother looks very comfortable with the whole process. I'm sure I'd get tangled from head to toe in the net myself before I cast the net to an acceptable spread! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Harout, going back to your photo the dress code of the fishing man is rather odd compared to his counterparts around the World; fabric shirt and trousers in a trenchcoat in rurals, to fish? He looks more suited to the streets of a city :D

A difficult scene to come by indeed.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hi Yildiz :D
My job was the bucket man, I had to pick up the bait and put it into the bucket, I also had too try and get rid of saltwater and slimy stuff off my hands before I touched the camera during the whole exercise while also not leaving any bait lying around on the sand for the seagulls to grab, also toss any small prawns back…bottom line is the poor old camera man doesn’t get much consideration from the fisherman side of the equation….i.e. hurry up what are you doing?
Greg

KM5D KM24-105?
_ICT0654.jpg
_ICT0654.jpg (228.66 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

aster wrote:Dr. Harout, going back to your photo the dress code of the fishing man is rather odd compared to his counterparts around the World; fabric shirt and trousers in a trenchcoat in rurals, to fish? He looks more suited to the streets of a city :D

A difficult scene to come by indeed.

Yildiz
It was kind of a military overcoat/trenchcoat. Was a bit cold as I remember. :)

Greg, your shot is excellent. I mean the one tossing the net :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
John David Cubit
Heirophant

Unread post by John David Cubit »

1. Fishing gear, Dutch Harbor, Unalaska Island, Alaska (in the Aleutian Islands).

2. Aukuu (Hawaiian black-crowned night heron) on Oahu, Hawaii.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks very much Doc you’re too kind.
John C. I think that Night Heron shot with the fish is exceptional, great shot, that is something we all aspire to catch on film…err sensor I think.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, :)

You poor you! :D Your brother treating you with inconsideracy while all the time you're trying to register the prawns for a world wildlife existency record with your camera for posterity, right before they are tossed back into the ocean. : ) All citizens of the world living close to water resources should do just like you: "want to eat seafood of all varieties in the future? Treat the babies nicely and give them the toss of a hand so that they are back at home in te water wonderworld!" : ))

Hard earned dinner there, Greg! : )

Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Harout; : )

Thanks for sharing that piece of info. Can't imagine fishermen going out to sea with starch-ironed shirts and trousers with all the formal accessories accompanied! : )) That would be the day...

John; : )

I like both of your shots very much; the first for the vivid colourfulness that looks like the result of colorful paint brushes.
The second is a charmer. Great scale and detail with good composure.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Lots more great photos! Thanks for posting. I like these sorts of theme threads. :)

Fishing boats in Essaouira, Morocco

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Those boats look like they would have done their share of hard work Henry, an unusual design for a fishing boat too having the bridge so far back.
Greg