Fishing for fish

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Fishing for fish

Unread post by bakubo »

Lots of great shots! Doc, I really like that second shot. Greg, great work there. Everyone's photos are very nice.
Greg Beetham wrote:How come you were able to get a photo of his possible fish (and reaction) but you didn't get him to take a photo of your real fish Henry?
Yes, that is an excellent question and one I have asked myself a few times over the years. :lol: This was a long time ago, 1978, but I think we were just busy unloading the boat and then when we were done since we came in separate cars we went our own way and I didn't think about the photo until it was too late.

Fisherman with his hammerhead shark in Puerto Lopez, Ecuador, 2005. I tried to get him to lower it just a bit so I could see his face more, but he didn't want to do that.

Self-portrait with a nosy barracuda that just had to get in the shot too in Puerto Lopez, Ecuador, 2005

Fisherman with his catch in Puerto Lopez, Ecuador, 2005

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wow, very interesting shots Henry.
Whenever I see a swordfish I remember "The Old Man and the Sea" with Spencer Tracey.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

oops wrong thread
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Wow, very interesting shots Henry.
Whenever I see a swordfish I remember "The Old Man and the Sea" with Spencer Tracey.
Oh yeah, it has been many years since I saw that. One of these days I should rent the DVD and watch it again. Read the book when I was a teenager.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

gio67 wrote:oops wrong thread
No, no, this is the right thread. Go ahead and post a photo! :lol:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Sorry but that’s a Sailfish Doc, a Swordfish has a dorsal fin more like a Marlin’s, not that it’s all that important I guess, all three are billfish. I remember the story about the old man and the fish as well, that was another book that I had read too me when I was a bit younger.
Greg
Dr. Harout

Greg Beetham wrote:Sorry but that’s a Sailfish Doc...
Greg
Thanks for correcting me. I'm not good at fish (only when eating them :D )

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

In Waikiki it is common for local people to be fishing right there amongst all the tourists who are in the water. There is a breakwater in one area of the beach and they go out on that. This guy just caught a pretty nice one and is getting a hand from a tourist.

I was standing on the breakwater too near a bucket that belonged to the fisherman. Right after I took this photo he walked over and dropped the fish into the bucket and then walked back to his fishing spot. The fish was flopping around in the bucket and and soon managed to flop completely out. He continued flopping there on the breakwater and managed to get so close to the water that one more flop would have been enough to escape. I probably should have let him escape, but I reached down just in time to pick him up and put him back in the bucket. The guy thanked me.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That's a good story Henry, I wonder what fish that was? It looks like a small threadfin salmon, if it was they need to go on ice quickly as threadfin spoil very fast once out of the water. It’s funny how fish are so different to each other, take rock cod for example, they are the worst to catch because they live for a long time after catching and one must end up cutting their throat while they are still alive most of the time and for some reason I find that hard too do, it’s only a fish after all, but once you recognize it’s still quite alive and then you look into it’s eyes…..
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

There are always people fishing in this area, off the pontoon or the rocks or out in boats, I’m not sure how many fish get caught, probably some I guess, but from my experience there is too much bait in the area, mullet, herring, yabbies and prawns and you never catch many fish where there is plenty of bait pleading to be eaten already....
Greg
A100 KM24-105
DSC03877.jpg
DSC03877.jpg (221.64 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:There are always people fishing in this area, off the pontoon or the rocks or out in boats, I’m not sure how many fish get caught, probably some I guess, but from my experience there is too much bait in the area, mullet, herring, yabbies and prawns and you never catch many fish where there is plenty of bait pleading to be eaten already....
Yeah, you have to have some pretty enticing bait/lure to attract a fish that has lots to choose from. Maybe if they throw in a coupon for a free massage or something like that the fish will bite. Who's ever heard of a fish turning down a free massage? No one. :lol:

More fishing in Waikiki:

Dr. Harout

Shot with a Nikon SLR

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

That's a great one, Doc!
Dr. Harout

Thanks Henry.

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

That's a cracking shot Doc :D. Great action. I guess we will not see many hand cast nets in this thread.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.