Midnight Sun at Gobbler's Knob

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Midnight Sun at Gobbler's Knob

Unread post by sury »

This is on the way to a place called Gobbler's Knob. Taken from the bus. What you see is Arctic Tundra. The trees don't grow
very tall due to permafrost underneath preventing roots to take hold.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsu ... .jpg[/img]
DSC30992-289 by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]

This is the lowest the Sun ever went. We are looking at Sun set over Brooks Mountain range about 50 miles away and Coldfoot, Alaska lies few miles on the other side of these mountains. It is fascinating that you see Sun set, gently kiss the mountains and start rising again, all within a matter of an hour.

DSC31081-378 by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]

How dark was it as Sun sets. Check it out. It was tad cold but still bright. That was my wife (in Green Jacket), daughter and son. It was so bright that you see my daughter still had her shades on.

DSC31064-361 by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Midnight Sun at Gobbler's Knob

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - love the Tundra view in #1. What a wonderfully named place :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury

Unread post by sury »

The yellow color on the ground you see is not earth but foliage like this, taken from the moving bus...

DSC30933-230Aviary by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Sury, this has been nice journey, tagging along your Alaskan family adventure! :D The photos help share the weather, the climate, the vegitation, the cold and the extraordinary lighting conditions that cause elongated, giant shadows.
I think you should take more frames to either build a panoramic shot or use one of the Sony cameras that have an in-built panoramic feature. You would get more out of these wonderful landscapes that are lasting for a lifetime. : ) It's not everyday that one goes to see these extraordnary places of magestic silence that speak only through its land features.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Interesting photos Sury, permafrost kaf kaf :shock: I suddenly realized it's no place for this little duck.
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you and I agree with you completely as for panoramas. That place is wonderful for taking vivid panoramas.
I took about 51 panoramas on this trip. :D I uploaded only couple of them. Out of 51, I think about 30 are keepers.
I am in the process of uploading them. I will post them (I did post about 3 of them earlier under the topic Alaska Panoramas).

I am a big fan of panoramas and MS ICE. :)

With best regards,
Sury
sury

Unread post by sury »

Greg Beetham wrote:Interesting photos Sury, permafrost kaf kaf :shock: I suddenly realized it's no place for this little duck.
Greg
Greg,
You would be surprised how warm it was, at this time of the year. Even on a Glacier, one can be walking wearing shorts and t-shirts.
You will need air-conditioning for most part. Living there full time is a different story altogether. :lol:

Sury