B&W Japan: New Album

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

B&W Japan: New Album

Unread post by bakubo »

A few weeks ago I created a new photo album named B&W Hawaii and I made the photos larger than my other albums and also used an updated version of the Chameleon skin with JAlbum. Here is the thread:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=6992

I have now created another album of the same style named B&W Japan so please take a look if you are interested:

http://www.bakubo.com/Galleries%202/index.html

Why am I making these new albums? Good question. :lol: I was just getting a bit dissatisfied with the old albums, the size of the photos, etc. and with LR it is easier to work on a photo and then output different sizes.

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: B&W Japan: New Album

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I had seen a few of those previously but a lot I don’t remember seeing before, boy there sure is some variety there, I think you’ve got one of everything Henry. I loved the one with the Peg Bundy hairdo, I had to stop and go back for that one, I wonder if she goes into the kitchen? :lol: There were a few who didn’t seem too keen on being photographed but most didn’t seem to care and some didn’t even know, like the guy nodding off on the train…progressively. There were quite a few where you had too wonder what the story was with the participants like what was the deal with the midget traffic cop for example. :shock:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks for taking a look, Greg.

My older albums have captions for most of the photos, but I decided that for these new albums to not have any captions. Sometimes it is hard to resist the temptation to add them though. :lol:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Why don't we have those wonderful smileys?
Meanwhile, accept my bows. :shock:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
sury

Unread post by sury »

Henry,
Great Albums. I think the albums with/without the narration seem to convey a lot by the mere fact that
they are organized as such, I am being tempted to look into organizing my photos too. Thank you for being
such an inspiration, at least to me.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Why don't we have those wonderful smileys?
I'm sorry, but I am not sure what you mean.
Dr. Harout wrote:Meanwhile, accept my bows. :shock:
Sorry, Doc, but both of these things are too cryptic for me so I don't understand what you mean.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:Henry,
Great Albums. I think the albums with/without the narration seem to convey a lot by the mere fact that
they are organized as such, I am being tempted to look into organizing my photos too. Thank you for being
such an inspiration, at least to me.
Thanks, Sury. I chose the photos to include, but I didn't order the photos in any particular way. They are just in filename order. I decided that for these 2 recent B&W albums to only include photos of people even though I have many photos without people or where people are not the primary focus. Maybe later I will create an album of other stuff in B&W. I have always loved B&W (and color too) and throughout my other albums I have lots of B&W photos mixed in. I decided to create some B&W-only albums though just because I felt like it. :lol:
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Just a bit of additional, maybe totally uninteresting, information about the photos. The Japan photos were made 1985-2012 using the following cameras:

Olympus XA
Minolta X-700
Minolta 7000i
Minolta 7xi
Minolta 9xi
Minolta 707si
Sony A700
Panasonic G3
Canon 60D
Canon 30D
Canon 300D
Canon S95
Canon A590IS
Canon A540
Canon A70
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Henry, in the smileys there are some which clap their hands.
As for the bow = To incline the body or head or bend the knee in greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration for wonderful pictures
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Henry, in the smileys there are some which clap their hands.
As for the bow = To incline the body or head or bend the knee in greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration for wonderful pictures
Thanks for the clarification, Doc! I understood the meaning of the bow, but the shock symbol :shock: at the end threw me a bit and I thought maybe you had a different meaning:
Dr. Harout wrote:Meanwhile, accept my bows. :shock:
Of course, no matter what the meaning was I knew you didn't have any bad meaning in mind.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have updated this gallery album with a few new photos added since I created it in 2012. I also went back and reworked a lot of the photos since in 2012 I had just started using Lightroom, but now I know a little better how to use it. :)

http://www.bakubo.com/Galleries%202/B&W ... index.html

Carrying an o-mikoshi at the Susukino Matsuri, Sapporo

Caught out in the rain with just a soggy newspaper, Ikebukuro, Tokyo

Big tree at the Y, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo

sury

Unread post by sury »

Love the "Y" shot, Henry. It evokes nostalgia about when I was growing up.
Only difference being how clean the streets are in your image. :D

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:Love the "Y" shot, Henry. It evokes nostalgia about when I was growing up.
Only difference being how clean the streets are in your image. :D
Thank you, Sury. There is good chance that in India that you had lots of banyan trees around. We have them in Hawaii too. In Japan not so much though. Maybe in Okinawa, but I don't recall. I remember in India, Thailand, etc. though scenes with small roads and big banyan trees similar to this scene.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice to be reminded of that album Henry - so many fabulous street scenes captured. I especially like the two young friends off to school from 2003, and the sleeping on the train sequence. If you didn't have the dates on the photos then I would really struggle to know which are older and which are newer, so your processing is keeping them all up to date :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Nice to be reminded of that album Henry - so many fabulous street scenes captured. I especially like the two young friends off to school from 2003, and the sleeping on the train sequence.
Thanks, Andy. I have to say that photographing people here in Japan is getting a bit more difficult than in years past, I think. Like many places Japanese are starting to be more sensitive about it. The other things, and probably the bigger things, is that Japanese like most people everywhere these days often have their heads buried in a smartphone all the time. :( I suppose this fad that has lasted for a few years will someday die out, but at present everywhere you go, even walking on the streets, so many people have them. I still don't even have a smartphone. The other thing which has become common in Japan for the last decade is so many people wearing face masks when they are in public. Especially women. With a face mask so much is covered so you can't see facial expressions, etc. :(
Birma wrote: If you didn't have the dates on the photos then I would really struggle to know which are older and which are newer, so your processing is keeping them all up to date :)
About 2 years ago I decided to start putting the year on each photo in my albums. It is helpful for me so that I can remember too!